Thailand Is Down?

Naam

two of our thai employees are dancing on our heads.

driver: salary 7,000 Baht/month, working days mon-fri, max work 3-4 hours a day driving wife shopping, washes two cars once a week and twice a week pool vacuuming, most of the time an additional free day each week, advance 23,000 baht (father sick, medical cost) / reality bought a second hand car.

can't find a replacement in Pattaya.

gardener: salary 7,000 Bath/month, (should be) working mon-fri 09.00-15.00 hours, sat 09.00-11.00 hrs, comes and goes to his native Isaan province whenever he pleases.

are you still trying to tell me thai economy is down? :o

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How long did your Driver work for you before asking for the advance? I know it sounds tight but I would have asked to see the bill and then paid the hospital direct. Even if he had then skipped out on me I would at least have felt like I had genuinely helped his dad rather than helped him set up his own taxi firm... But then Hindsight is 20:20...

Are you sure you want to hire staff again after your experience? Can't be much difference than using taxis, can it? Or are they "not safe" Down there?

Good luck in your search.

I think you have made my often cited point that Thailand is suffering fairly rampant inflation... Consider what thats doing to your savings and assets..

A tight employment market is usually a sign of good things, this I do agree tho.. However is that only in Pattaya ??? The wages would be nothing like this in the provinces.. And then people say Tourism isnt so important to Thailand overall !?!?!

Are you sure you want to hire staff again after your experience? Can't be much difference than using taxis, can it?

no taxis available. hate to act as a driver myself and hate to work as a gardener. so what are my choices?

I think you have made my often cited point that Thailand is suffering fairly rampant inflation... Consider what thats doing to your savings and assets..

fortunately it does not do anything tangible to my savings and/or assets. compared to my home country the local much lower cost of living and especially not paying any direct income tax outweighs inflation as well as the appreciation of the Thai Baht till my next reincarnation (if any).

driver: salary 7,000 Baht/month, working days mon-fri, max work 3-4 hours a day driving wife shopping, washes two cars once a week and twice a week pool vacuuming, most of the time an additional free day each week, advance 23,000 baht (father sick, medical cost) / reality bought a second hand car.

gardener: salary 7,000 Bath/month, (should be) working mon-fri 09.00-15.00 hours, sat 09.00-11.00 hrs, comes and goes to his native Isaan province whenever he pleases.

Many Thai people I know would never even consider moving to Pattaya - not even if they could double their salary doing so. The place suffers from a serious reputation problem in the eyes of most.

Are you sure you want to hire staff again after your experience? Can't be much difference than using taxis, can it?

no taxis available. hate to act as a driver myself and hate to work as a gardener. so what are my choices?

Maybe pay them more?

Do you have a contract including social security for your staff?

As attractive your unusually low work hours are, you have to understand that many people in that area prefer to work in factories where they can make double of what you offer with OT.

I forgot if you speak Thai, if not, then your staff would have to peak some English as well, which puts the pay scale up again. Many non-English speaking Thais are terrified to work for Farang who don't speak Thai.

Many Thai people I know would never even consider moving to Pattaya - not even if they could double their salary doing so. The place suffers from a serious reputation problem in the eyes of most.

sure! they rather stay upcountry bending their backs in a rice field seven days a week for 2,000 baht a month and enjoy life in an environment with "good" reputation.

:o

I don't know anything about gardeners but I see regular sedan taxis with a meter and airconditioning all over town. I would assume that if you got the cell phone number of a couple of them getting one would not be a big problem. If the one you call can't come he would normally call a buddy taxi driver to come get you. If they go to Bangkok for 800 baht how expensive can they be?

PS The only times I have used one is back and forth to Bangkok so maybe there is a problem with local service. TIT

If they go to Bangkok for 800 baht how expensive can they be?

it's not a matter of money Roger but of convenience. but thanks for the advice, i will give it a try although i guess my old lady will strongly object.

A friend of mine had that problem too. The guy was on a salary and found MANY excuses to take days off. That guy is now gone and the new employee gets paid on a daily basis. He manages to make it to work MOST days.

The salaries are spot on IMO. For myself, we have a strict policy of no salary advances. If you want a loan (which is what it is), I need some collateral, not your promise to work.

Finding people to work (even getting your own staff to do overtime) is a problem no matter what the state of the economy. It's more of a work ethic issue. One good thing about an economic downturn (if there is one) is that these folks will hopefully be less finicky in this regard.

edit: spot ON.

Edited by Heng

Dr Naam, why dont you advertise the jobs on Foodlands notice board, there must be many Farangs on the bones of their azz in Pattaya that would do both jobs, and could certainly do with the 14000 per month.

Edited by Maigo6

For my work I have 6 Thai staff, one in particular; his only consistency was being late or not showing up at all for days at a time. Phone switched off etc. Would come back with a mountain of excuses etc etc. I took him off his monthly salary, and paid him daily a daily rate. Since then his absence went from 7-10 days a month to 1 maybe 2. As for being on time? Well were still working on that and probably will be for ever anyway. :o

If its not a question of Money. Pay £35k a month ( or a grand a day paid weekly in arrears ) and hire a westerner for both jobs plus live in home security. Of course you'd have to cover the work permit as well...

I forgot if you speak Thai, if not, then your staff would have to peak some English as well, which puts the pay scale up again. Many non-English speaking Thais are terrified to work for Farang who don't speak Thai.

i spent 16.000 baht for the driver's english lessons. what english is required to understand "Tesco, Lotus, Carrefour, Friendship, Foodland, Beach Road, Royal Plaza Mall, Jomtien, Airport"?

i spent 16.000 baht for the driver's english lessons. what english is required to understand "Tesco, Lotus, Carrefour, Friendship, Foodland, Beach Road, Royal Plaza Mall, Jomtien, Airport"?

Honestly, it sounds like your Driver took you for a ride... :o

If its not a question of Money. Pay £35k a month ( or a grand a day paid weekly in arrears ) and hire a westerner

£ (GBP) 35k??? do you think my name is Naam bin-Talal al-Saud?

sorry I meant Bhat.

/quote]

There are many Thais that would love to work for you, however I don't think you will find them here(ie most do not have internet), you and the wife/girlfriend should make a little trip to Isan or the country side near you. "enough said" :D

I'm sorry for your troubles. I really am. I think your driver has taken you for at least 40k and as far as what English does he need? Well, he seems to have learned the word, "Mug" quite comprehensively on the face of the facts presented here.

Be careful with your money and your reputation if it matters. if it matters not (And I assure you there are those that fit this category) then live long and prosper, Dude. TIT.

In Korat 12k a month is the salary for a Graduate Accountant with 6 years experience at a National Firm. However that job has prospects for a future. Will a Thai feel as safe and secure in your employ. Is it a job for life? if not, the reward must match the increased risk I guess...

you and the wife/girlfriend should make a little trip to Isan or the country side near you.

easier said than done. e.g. all thai my wife speaks is "sawasdee khra" and my wordpower is limited to numbers and another dozen not applicable words (which i learned 30 years ago when i was still a bachelor).

sure! they rather stay upcountry bending their backs in a rice field seven days a week for 2,000 baht a month and enjoy life in an environment with "good" reputation.

OK so you agree that this 'booming' is only happening in a tourist area then ??

But people say tourism is such a low % of GDP !!

Of course the additional salary premium you pay would not count in official tourism economic numbers..

Why not combine the jobs and pay say 12k a month?

without hesitation i'd pay even more. but combining the work of a driver with that of a gardener is not really convenient. working as a gardener means getting dirty and sweating and implies a shower and a change of clothes before working as a driver.

OK so you agree that this 'booming' is only happening in a tourist area then ??

i don't know. all what i did was airing my personal problems and hope for some advice.

Apologies.. I thought you were mocking the thailand is down thread..