Most reopening barbers and beauty salons fail to meet standards

snoop1130

Most reopening barbers and beauty salons fail to meet standards

Barber.jpg

About 63% of barber’s shops and beauty salons have failed to meet anti-COVID-19 compliance inspections since the CCSA eased lockdown restrictions on May 3rd.

Thailand’s Department of Disease Control’s deputy director-general, Dr. Danai Thiwanda, said today that, since the relaxation of the restrictions, health officials have conducted random checks on businesses allowed to reopen, to assess their performance and compliance with anti-viral measures.

Citing the performance of barber’s shops and beauty salons, which are to limit their services to hair cutting, dressing and drying only, he said that 63.08% of them do not meet the required standards for physical distancing and cleanliness.

27.18%, however, passed the inspections with high marks, and 9.74% narrowly passed.

Regarding hair-grooming and care services for pets, he said that 53% of the shops failed the inspections.

Dr. Danai also said that the random inspections found that 43.08% of barber’s shops and beauty salons failed to observe the requirement to record the names, addresses, appointment times and phone numbers of their customers, with many complaining about the inconvenience caused by doing so.

The overall performance of the six types of business and leisure activities allowed to reopen, regarding cleanliness and customer service, is good, he said.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/most-reopening-barbers-and-beauty-salons-fail-to-meet-standards/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-05-13

When I got my Haircut in the shop last week, it sure looked sanitary and social distancing compliant to me...., of course I was the only customer and there were three barbers with their chairs covered and all spaced out...

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Like 2

I automatically social distance to get my haircut - Do it myself with scissors in my bathroom. I don't record all my personal info in a journal either.  :stoner:

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Grusa said:

I have not been able to go to my usual salon, due to viral restrictions, so last week I went to a barber in the village (there are several, mostly closed) - one man show, no masks, no customers, not much by way of sterilising stuff, but clean and pleasant. Sign is dual priced, 100baht for foreigners, 60 for kon thai.. Well that was a put-off to start with, but any port in a storm.......

"You want cut short?"

"No, just trim"

Once they have started, you can't stop them! So now I look like a Thai soldier!

Ah well, it will grow back. And I saved 150 baht. And I didn't catch anything. But, I won't be going there again.

You better go to one of those 300 baht barbers in a mall...a very hot girl will  welcome you and direct you to the chair, put a cape over your shoulders and then you have to wait. After 5 minutes a ladyboy shows up and asks you how you like the haircut to be.????

36 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

My wife has a small hair salon in hua hin. With all this going on she was closed at first with no income. But she still had to pay rent and all expenses.  Her land lord has not felt any compassion to give any break in the rent. When asked if she can half the rent all she says is give me my rent or get out. She did offer a 1,000 baht reduced rent, with the 1,000 each month paid back later . We have many people tell us how their landlords have cut their rent in half or more just to be fair. 

Now that she is reopened she has maybe 3 customers a day. At 100 to 150 each that is less than 500 a day. Not enough to pay the rent and keep the lights on. 

With the regulation of making appointments only, her thai customs will not do that. She first started asking them  to make an appointment first only to have them walk out and go some place else. Same with the farang customers.  They ask , what you can not do now? Your shop is empty.  And if they come everyone says why do you need all my information.  I'm not giving you my info. It is cheaper if she shuts down and closes. 

She has two elderly parents she helps support. Her mother had a stroke 2 years ago and her father is not much better.  

So between the greedy landlord(who is building 4 new shop houses right now at a cost of 6 to 8 million baht) and the government regulations she doesn't see any future for her for a long time. 

She not got the 5000 each month? My wife get that. No appointments required in bkk.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, fulhamster said:

So were the establishments that failed to comply shut down ??

Of course not, this is the new normal.

Thais ignore the regulations, inspectors warn them which is ignored, then carry on as normal [the old one]

everyone;s happy.

21 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Never had to pay 250 baht plus for a haircut in Thailand....

usually 100 baht these days (and that is a large shop with quite a few farang customers).

Out in rural Issan, before I left 3 months ago, the local barber shops charged 60 baht! Here in Siem Reap, 3 US$ (around 90 baht)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Most reopening barbers

I read 'Most reopening bars' !

Due to a dirty screen, mask and glasses... No, not the glasses that can be filled with beer !

6 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Where is this guy? I can't get my barber to cut mine short enough. Tells me, I cut too short, not see you for 2 months. I not cut too short so I can see you in 1 month. ????????

Ban Amphur, 150m past 7/11 towards beach.

On 5/14/2020 at 11:17 AM, rickudon said:

Never had to pay 250 baht plus for a haircut in Thailand....

usually 100 baht these days (and that is a large shop with quite a few farang customers).

i usually pay 100 and give lady 20 baht tip to buy food for her little dog !!!

On 5/14/2020 at 9:55 AM, Grusa said:

I have not been able to go to my usual salon, due to viral restrictions, so last week I went to a barber in the village (there are several, mostly closed) - one man show, no masks, no customers, not much by way of sterilising stuff, but clean and pleasant. Sign is dual priced, 100baht for foreigners, 60 for kon thai.. Well that was a put-off to start with, but any port in a storm.......

"You want cut short?"

"No, just trim"

Once they have started, you can't stop them! So now I look like a Thai soldier!

Ah well, it will grow back. And I saved 150 baht. And I didn't catch anything. But, I won't be going there again.

The difference between a bad haircut and a good haircut is usually about two weeks.

• Like 1

I have adapted to the “Thai soldier” look out of necessity because it is hot and humid. My usual barber knows “number 1 and short”.  It takes about 10 minutes.  He wears a mask and I wear a mask. Always carry my own hand sanitizer and he now wears gloves and wears eye protection. Clippers and scissors and he stands behind me. Last time I went in no one was waiting. The barber shops were busy the first few days after opening day but now they are mostly empty.  I don’t fear getting a “Thai soldier” haircut because I am mostly in and out.  He always appreciates the extra tip I give him.  

I usually pay 60 B for cut and shave in Chumphae but in Cha-am I had to pay 100 B for only cutting.

They usually cut the way I ask them to. Remember most Thais are very poor at English so that may be the reason they sometimes cut too much or too little hair for a foreigner.

Edited by martin81
spelling error