how do you fight a snake?

BananaBandit

29 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I have neither the time nor inclination to learn whats what with snakes, I hate them...

Totally...

But it seems like these days, a certain segment of the population expects us to do a photoshoot with the reptile like it's frickn Gisele Bundchen, then gather our pictures and go hang out on a Facebook page for snake identification. 

However, I'm still glad I asked my question, as I now have a clear-cut gameplan:

If I ever see a snake outside again, I will run inside and play CandyCrush.  If I ever see a snake inside, I will run outside and call the local snakeman.  If snakeman wants to do photoshoot along with removal, that's cool.  But if he wants to go Jeffrey Dahmer on the snake, he can do that as well.  I just want the snake gone. 

Edited by BananaBandit

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:
On 5/15/2020 at 9:56 PM, NE1 said:

I  used a Hessian sack taped to the end of a length of pipe. Laid the open end down facing the snake and he went straight for it.

Up the pipe and into the sack.

Then what ?

Please go to post Number 53 where you will see the answer to the same question.

A 12 gauge is very effective against them,me and a few mates used to waterski on this small creek not too far from our home town,always had a 12 gauge in the boat to take care of the tiger snakes,most aggressive snake i've ever seen.

23 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Not always... a king cobra was jousting with my dog.. so, no... would my dog let it escape, maybe no, would I try to kill it, yes, was it my actions, no... but i did kill it... 

So, instead of calling your dog back you decided to kill it? Wow! That’s just awesome - not!!!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

So, instead of calling your dog back you decided to kill it? Wow! That’s just awesome - not!!!

There was no way my dog would even hear me or in any way disengage when battling a cobra... and i was not about to get my hand anywhere near the snake... and hey, even the dog thought it was awesome when I killed the snake... you might know about snakes but know nothing abt dogs... and I would kill 1000 snakes before i let my dog get killed... or my children put in danger.... 

Earlier in the thread someone posted about catching Golden tree snakes ( fine, not a problem ) and Wolf snakes and moving them away. Problem is not with the Wolf snake but in low light conditions some Common Krait can look similar to the Wolf snake. A bad mistake to make trying to grab a Krait.

Even the Golden tree snake has a look-a-like Viper.

waglers-pit-viper-permissioned-emilios-kattides9.jpg

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

4 foot long !   How long is your arm ?  A snake can cover that distance in no time.   What will you do with the snake once you have caught it

Read and listen to Crossy …

They work for me every time and they even work on scorpions?  Then again I don't like to live in fear like some do.

Snakes and all the rest of the wildlife are constantly there, but you rarely see them and no big deal.  It's only when you spot what appears to be dangerous that one maybe panics.  But you didn't panic before you saw it, even though it was there.   

Respect and space usually sorts the issue.  Otherwise it's the wildlife catcher to the rescue.  

12 hours ago, kenk24 said:

There was no way my dog would even hear me or in any way disengage when battling a cobra... and i was not about to get my hand anywhere near the snake... and hey, even the dog thought it was awesome when I killed the snake... you might know about snakes but know nothing abt dogs... and I would kill 1000 snakes before i let my dog get killed... or my children put in danger.... 

I used to have a Rottweiler for 10 years, so there’s that! It’s none of my business, but if your dog was trained properly he would obey you no matter what. 

7 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

I used to have a Rottweiler for 10 years, so there’s that! It’s none of my business, but if your dog was trained properly he would obey you no matter what. 

Not necessarily true. When dogs go into attack mode their is a switch that goes in the brain, can't do much until that switch has reset. My Bangkeaw made a mess of a little poodle once and I could do nothing about it until he lost his grip on the poor wee poodle. Even then it took a minute or so before he came out of his "trance" !! 

Before anyone starts, he was on a lead but the poodle sneaked up to say hello from behind us. Maybe my fault for not being aware of it. 

Snakes didn't stand much chance against him tbh.. 

12 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Not necessarily true. When dogs go into attack mode their is a switch that goes in the brain, can't do much until that switch has reset. My Bangkeaw made a mess of a little poodle once and I could do nothing about it until he lost his grip on the poor wee poodle. Even then it took a minute or so before he came out of his "trance" !! 

Before anyone starts, he was on a lead but the poodle sneaked up to say hello from behind us. Maybe my fault for not being aware of it. 

Well, if the dog wasn’t trained to obey at all times your chances are much, much slimmer in that situation. Unfortunately a lot of dog owners don’t really go through obedience training apart from the basics and they don’t keep up with it either. Obedience needs to be reinforced regularly. 

19 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

A dog that attacks other dogs hasn't been trained not to do so. They can turn this aggression on a human anytime, as dogs only look at humans as another animal. Respect has to be learned as a puppy. And a dog can kill some snakes, but will be killed by the poisonous variety. Some snakes do not back down. One bite and it's over.

Edited by fredwiggy

On 5/16/2020 at 6:11 PM, Laza 45 said:

83453832_2989805667719485_928364534014410752_n.jpg

Not entirely accurate. For example, Saw-Scaled Vipers are very aggressive by nature and will attack with no provocation. They will also chase you if you try to back away and you'd be surprised at how fast they can travel.
https://www.britannica.com/animal/saw-scaled-viper

We had problems with them when we first started setting up some buildings in a previously undeveloped part of the Kandahar Air Field. If the locals saw one, they'd flatten its skull with a shovel immediately. 

I took some pics of one I killed one day. I'd been moving some scrap while waiting for a vehicle that was going to haul it away. Move a bit of plywood and there was a viper under it. I started backing away and it started towards me. I sprinted a few meters to where some tools were, grabbed a shovel, turned around and it was about 2 meters away and heading at me. The first whack I gave it stunned it. Gave it another to be sure (or so I thought).

Set it up and took some pics close up. Then I placed a 1 litre water bottle next to it and zoomed out so you could see both. The snake was almost the same length as the bottle. I went to reposition it and it started moving. (Silly me, I'd been trying to get pics of it's fangs, thinking it was dead.) Put a knife through its skull. No more moving (and no more pics).  
Showed it to our Pest Control guys who told me it was a "young adult" and had more than enough venom to kill me. They don't grow very big but they are very mean.

When in doubt, call a professional. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

Not entirely accurate. For example, Saw-Scaled Vipers are very aggressive by nature and will attack with no provocation. They will also chase you if you try to back away and you'd be surprised at how fast they can travel.
https://www.britannica.com/animal/saw-scaled-viper

We had problems with them when we first started setting up some buildings in a previously undeveloped part of the Kandahar Air Field. If the locals saw one, they'd flatten its skull with a shovel immediately. 

I took some pics of one I killed one day. I'd been moving some scrap while waiting for a vehicle that was going to haul it away. Move a bit of plywood and there was a viper under it. I started backing away and it started towards me. I sprinted a few meters to where some tools were, grabbed a shovel, turned around and it was about 2 meters away and heading at me. The first whack I gave it stunned it. Gave it another to be sure (or so I thought).

Set it up and took some pics close up. Then I placed a 1 litre water bottle next to it and zoomed out so you could see both. The snake was almost the same length as the bottle. I went to reposition it and it started moving. (Silly me, I'd been trying to get pics of it's fangs, thinking it was dead.) Put a knife through its skull. No more moving (and no more pics).  
Showed it to our Pest Control guys who told me it was a "young adult" and had more than enough venom to kill me. They don't grow very big but they are very mean.

When in doubt, call a professional. 

Tiger snakes in Australia have a similar reputation... best to know your snakes.. and have a number for a professional snake handler on hand.. I'll watch out for those vipers!