Covid-19: Keep the "dangerous" pubs and bars shut say the majority of Thais in poll

webfact

This is another example of - Live and Die by the Poll. Polling should be one source of informing the public, not the main source. As several who posted here note, polls conducted unscientifically are nothing more than the broadcast of personal bias. The corporate media CNN, FOX, CNBC (not sure about BBC) use polls religiously and they have become a mainstay of news broadcasts. First show a poll and then bring in your cherry picked "experts" to spin the poll left or right depending on your agenda. To an alarming extent, polls are replacing investigative journalism.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Ha ha,,,,,,,, a blind man on a galloping horse can see what these lot are up to.... They've always wanted to close the bars and get rid of those "Dirty Farangs", and if Anutins outbursts are not enough to convince you that we're on the chopping block then you're severely deluded or smoking krak !  Isn't it strange how they decimated all the good bars and discos in Sukhumvit and the only ones that have remained are all the ones with too much Police connection to shut down due to the fact that they're still armed....   It's over boys, she's going down......... Abandon ship !   

I hear that Hillary had to sell her Ferrari and now drives a Toyota!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Stocky said:

Hardly a large poll and one wonders how representative the selection was, then there's the loaded phrasing of the question which posses it as an either or, when of course it isn't. Seems they got the answers they were fishing for.

If the poll was conducted properly, (and that is a big if), 1259 is more than enough of a sample size to get a 95% accurate poll. 

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Surasak said:

Unfortunately, you cannot isolate communities like Phuket and Pattaya, due to the logistics of supplies in and out. In fact any town cannot be truly isolated.

Phuket was pretty much isolated last month.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

If the poll was conducted properly, (and that is a big if), 1259 is more than enough of a sample size to get a 95% accurate poll. 

As I said, "one wonders how representative the selection was", rather critical when you have such a small sample population.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, phkauf said:

The bar business has never been popular with the Army/Government Type crowd and this is their opportunity to kill it off for good. So all the notorious bar areas will close up and maybe in a year or two they can reopen but in a manner the Government approves. 

I think the current Government will try to use this time to move to their idea of a clean image for Thailand. There are too many powerful parties that made BIG money from bars and they could fight any restrictions, but now is the perfect opportunity for the Army types to get their way. And we all know who makes the big bucks from the bar industry (hint: they wear brown).

Very true, it started with the street bars along the lower suk, by late 2015 they were all gone. They want the sleazy image of Thailand gone for good, all that will remain will be soapy type places along the Ratchadapisek Road and Phetchaburi Road in BKK, all out of sight of casual tourists.

Sport bars will continue, beer bars and go go bars will disappear.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, phkauf said:

I think the current Government will try to use this time to move to their idea of a clean image for Thailand.

Who wants to go on holiday in a clean, normal place. People go on holiday to escape from reality not to join it. 

India has lots of "clean" beach resorts. China has Hainan island.  

Yes it is inconvenient when the Puyai cannot get a visa because she is seen as a working woman but... Do they want tourism or not. If all Thailand has to offer is beach and sun. That is available in many countries.

Even conservative Indonesia turns a blind eye in Bali, Batam, Bintan et al. Look what Spain has to put up with. 

Edited by VocalNeal

3 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Do you know how a representative survey works? Usually they are with a +-2,5% correct. 

If they would ask 200,000 people of 70 million, some people would call it as not enough. 

Not as simple as that really, ????. in Sampling Theory it isn't the quantity tested that is important. Obviously asking/testing everyone/everything in a population is impracticable. The mass production of utilities, food etc. demanded a lot from statistical theory because just as asking everyone is huge task so is testing every single product that comes off the line. The answer is to test a small number but test frequently.

So to get a acceptable probability density within required limits, further samples from the same area (but in this case, with different people) would need to be repeated perhaps more than once. The more information that goes in the more accurate the answer. Not a good idea to rely a single small sample.

I didnt see that poll because I wouldve put my 2 bahts worth in. I believe the bars and pubs are money makers for Thailand. How does Thailand expect to support itself with all these new ideas? That is the reason behind this lockdown. Your not kidding anyone here

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Call said:

Why not make a poll about believing in polls.

Ask at least some hundred working at polls institutes ????

Yes, companies do that all the time, one is inspection and the other is assurance.????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I must be lucky, the vast majority of Thais I deal with are pleasant to me, and I don't think it's due to any good looks or charismatic charm. I speak adequate Thai, and never raise my voice, even in the most aggravating of circumstances.

I'd suggest the Westerners that are disliked by Thais are those who refuse to learn Thai, shout to get what they want, and generally display the cultural sensitivity of a Christian fundamentalist offering a Muslim bacon.

You will not deal with the vast majority of Thais who dont like Westerners because they will avoid you.

I can walk down my soi and some Thais will be friendly and some Thais will completely ignore me. They have no wish to be friendly. 

Try it yourself sometime.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canuck1966 said:

I think you'd be surprised

Every expat and his brother would be out on the lash plus there are still quite a few people here "stranded"

Hence the reason to keep them closed!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

What about the Karaoke for the Thai male customership? Open serving no alcoholic beverage (but allowing local customers to bring their flasks of Hong Tong and Regency, plus their large bottles of beer? Otherwise, I am afraid the BiBs will become a bigger pain when this source of extra income is kept dry any longer...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

As a non-native English speaker: what does the "some" means? Makes no sense for me.

Here is no "some".

They never said handsome to you? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, condobrit001 said:

Thailand relies on tourism for 15-20% of its GDP. Without beer in its bars and hotels, Saudi Arabia is looking to be a more attractive destination. Mecca here I come!

Make sure you are circumsized first.

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Some 78.87% chose "health over freedom" when it came to bars, pubs, clubs and discos. 

A brilliant quote to feed the conspiracy theorists amongst us. I absolutely do not believe this poll, there is no way nearly 80% of people said open everything else but keep bars pubs, clubs and discos closed.

How can you prove your statement?

6 hours ago, Stocky said:

Hardly a large poll and one wonders how representative the selection was, then there's the loaded phrasing of the question which posses it as an either or, when of course it isn't. Seems they got the answers they were fishing for.

You should read up on the statistical sampling and representative sizes.

But you do raise valid points about knowing the sample selection criteria, and the actual questions asked.

3 hours ago, miamiman123 said:

Agree shut em down altogether 

but that gonna kill tourism here for sure!!

Only the sex and booze tourism. There is also a tourist world outside the bar business and the red light districts. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

You will not deal with the vast majority of Thais who dont like Westerners because they will avoid you.

I can walk down my soi and some Thais will be friendly and some Thais will completely ignore me. They have no wish to be friendly. 

Try it yourself sometime.

Maybe Nong Khai is different to the rural villages in Chiang Rai. Almost everyone will give me a hello or a wai. But then, AFAIK I am the only farang in the village.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

As a non-native English speaker: what does the "some" means? Makes no sense for me.

Here is no "some".

Some 78.87% chose health over freedom when it came to bars, pubs, clubs and discos. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

How can asking 1,259 people, out of a population of 69,799,978 people, strongly suggest that most Thais want them kept shut ?

Another pathetic poll that shows nothing in reality. 

Don't worry about the poll it achieved the wanted result

• Like 2