Covid-19: Keep the "dangerous" pubs and bars shut say the majority of Thais in poll

webfact

16 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

So I'm guessing you don't work in the tourism industry.

In 2019, Tourism accounted for 17.7% of Thai GDP, perhaps more if gray money was counted.

The tens of millions of foreigners who came to Thailand in 2019 supported upwards of 8 million Thai jobs. It also allowed hotel owners to make debt payments, which in turn helped banks keep bad debts lower.

A year or two is okay with you? Those 8 million Thais, hotel owners, and banks might have a different view.

Obviously no money from international tourist is bad. But what is the alternative?

Until now Thailand has very few Covid cases and very very few death. How would that change if tourists come into Thailand unchecked? Do we need to have hundreds of dead people everyday to act? Or is it better to stay alert so that the situation does not get worse?

Maybe just open i.e. Phuket for international tourist - and close them for everybody else. And then see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It might have meant something if they restricted the poll to people who actually go to bars. 

And this does not have to include go-go bars. The Thai open air bar, caff, eating house, live music place that sells alcohol and has live music would fit the bill. 

Edited by rott
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

Hardly a large poll and one wonders how representative the selection was, then there's the loaded phrasing of the question which posses it as an either or, when of course it isn't. Seems they got the answers they were fishing for.

Break out your university statistics; the sample size is fine. Your other concerns, however, are quite valid.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, time2093 said:

So people are in favor of packed BTS and MRT trains everyday but pubs and nightclubs are dangerous. Typical Thai logic.

true, and pubs would be fine. They cant open nightclubs anyway, everyone will be arrested for breaking the curfew 555

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Cannot risk opening up all bars right now, those Thai style late night pubs, where Thais get totally legless, would be impossible to manage social distancing. As would open air beer bars with drunken foreigners.

I do reckon that certain bars, should be allowed serve alcohol, so long as they can demonstrate managing social distancing, would need doorstaff, control of numbers entering, turning people away when bar is at capacity etc.

Won't happen, once the beer goggles are on distancing goes out the door. If there will be a ban then it will be blanket IMO

• Like 1

With a bit of spacing between seats & no tourists anyway pubs should be able to open.

Serving people who have been here for the whole shutdown is certainly no worse than my ride on the BTS yesterday or Chatuchak market corridor crowding

Discos & nightclubs a bit later.

Once the tourists are allowed back in Pubs that will be the testing point, Pubs open or not

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I don't have an answer, because I do not know the stats on deaths due to depression, suicide, lack of medical care because of lack of money, etc. Life and death calculations are by definition cold-blooded, but necessary.

Somebody---I assume those who hold authority---has to make the determination as to whether keeping 8 million people jobless, sending hotels and restaurants into bankruptcy protection, sending the national air carrier into bankruptcy protection, etc., is better than opening borders and screening arrivals as best one can. I have seen an alarming rise in homeless in Bangkok, both men and women, and even young people. Perhaps I have not seen those passing away, alone, in a hospital, in quarantine.  Both situations are horrific. It is likely a proper decision cannot be made until more data is analyzed regarding the actual virulence of CV-19 and an accurate assessment of the danger can be made. I sit in neither camp---open up or keep closed---because the data is incomplete. All I see are the initial numbers (deaths + infected) vs unemployed. Both engender sympathy. I might be willing to take my chances, but I cannot impose that desire on anyone else.

This is uncharted territory, both in Thailand and worldwide. Opening or closing bars and nightclubs (this article) is but one aspect, important to some, less so to others. Leadership has difficult decisions and many constituencies to please. One hopes it is well-thought out, because none of us has that decision-making authority. One hopes.

Great comment!

I agree there is still a lot unknown. And now tests exist. But how good and how fast are they? I.e. if someone was infected on a flight to Thailand would he show as Covid positive on arrival. I guess that is very unlikely. So how long does it take before it is sure that people are not infected? Maybe tests will get better soon any maybe in a month it takes only a day or two, maybe...

I know people who worked in a hotel and I know bar owners and people who worked in bars. Sure, nobody like to make no money. But on the other hand nobody likes to get infected.

I read horror stories from people in the UK and USA who have to go back to work and who are scared. 

I think Thailand's tax payers, me included, should be ready to pay to help the people who have no money because of this situation.

All in all which situation is worse? I think one look at the USA is enough to decide to better be careful.

Just don't track my movements. It's a waste of time anyway. I get sick will they contact the hundreds of places I've been and the thousands of people who also visited those places? A logistical nightmare.

Edited by Keesters
Spelling
  • Like 1