Amazing Trusted Thailand: TAT set for rebrand as foreign tourists expected to return in October

webfact

Yet the baht still gains more strength and all other currencies are sliding backwards except the Aus Dollar.  My Stocks have recovered and gained in the US.  Businesses are opening up and friends who were laid off have been rehired.  Yet the economy here is in deep recession.  I am just a little confused as to why the Baht would gain strength just because there may be a promising vaccine for Covid.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Health and safety in Thailand.

1. On the roads with little law enforcement (mainly directed at foreigners) and cracked uneven pavements and where taxi and Tuk tuk drivers cheat you.

2. In the mainly unlicensed and uninspected hotels with minimal fire escapes and equipment and where building codes are ignored.

3. In the bars and entertainment areas where owners and police are hand in glove and if you dispute a bill you will be dealt with by violence or arrest.

4. In the beach areas where you will be robbed by ladyboys prowling for gold or jet ski scammers forcing you to pay for old damage.

5. in the National Parks and other attractions where you will be charged ten times local rate.

Many things to be fixed before Thailand can be touted as healthy and safe.

Wow someone has sour grapes, you find anything you liked about the place?

Hard to stop laughing. Best to fire everyone in TAT and start over from scratch.

Ever government and tourist body in the world keeps saying it will take years for tourism to recover. I am sure TAT will soon announce new tourist arrivals that will include all inflated numbers from before March and all the Thai's repatriated since. 

• Like 1

I don't believe tourism is starting any time soon and no one can predict when.

I will however predict some good bargains when it starts to recover and I'm not referring to Thailand just in general.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 11:35 AM, webfact said:

Islands such as Koh Samui could be among the first destinations to welcome foriegn tourists as it would be easier for the authorities to monitor arrivals and implement quarantine, should the need arise.

As a Samui resident and hotel owner one should say it's a "great idea" However, I would say <deleted> you TAT. The idea of bringing tourist to an island which can be sealed off, again and again if the virus shows up, it will create more losses and pain, than as it is right now. These morons should be playing with their own peanuts instead of desperately trying to get some money by risking a whole island. Taking China off the list of infected countries and allowing them to come here with direct flights is insane. Domestic tourism yes, international not so fast. So thank you, but NO thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2020 at 11:49 AM, BookShe said:

As a Samui resident and hotel owner one should say it's a "great idea" However, I would say <deleted> you TAT. The idea of bringing tourist to an island which can be sealed off, again and again if the virus shows up, it will create more losses and pain, than as it is right now. These morons should be playing with their own peanuts instead of desperately trying to get some money by risking a whole island. Taking China off the list of infected countries and allowing them to come here with direct flights is insane. Domestic tourism yes, international not so fast. So thank you, but NO thank you. 

A hotel owner does not want more tourists? Wow

On 5/19/2020 at 11:35 AM, webfact said:

The rebrand will see ‘Amazing Thailand’ become ‘Amazing Trusted Thailand’.

Clumsy turn of phrase aside, the campaign is doomed to fail. The reason "Amazing Thailand" remains such an apt slogan after so many years is it's double meaning - the country really is amazing in all manner of ways that range from the wonderful to the terrible. But in the same way "amazing" works because of it's vague meaning, "trusted" doesn't because it's so literal. With a past reputation for scamming and often outright lying, people see the word trust and assume the opposite. Wasn't it TAT who said a few years ago there were no prostitutes in Pattaya? 

On the other hand, it'd certainly be entertaining. Before the end of the year we may see cabbies in newly branded taxis saying "Tuss me, meter broken", tuktuk drivers saying "Tuss me, Grand Palace closed today", and market traders "Tuss me, Rolex 100% original". I'm looking forward to the "Trust me, I'm Thai" t-shirts... 

The Thai government missed their opportunity to market the country as a business friendly and tourist friendly safe haven. Instead of shutting down they could have taken a controlled approach but instead the provincial governors and mayors are allowed to "run Amok" with arbitrary shutdowns based on superstition and fear vs science and understanding. With all of the controls in place then why is the country still isolated ? Every time a case pops up they going to shut down a province or an Island an Airport or a beach or mall ? Total insanity ! 

The gentleman in Samui is correct. You can't run a business that way ever especially in the absence of even the first outbreak. Can you imagine the nightmare of reopening a hotel then a case pops up and you're forced to close or worse yet harbor people placed into quarantine every time someone gets a sniffle then refund irate customers deposits and payments ? It's only the government cronies fear of failing. It's as if they are keeping score and expecting the grand prize (it's really about control for these freaks) but in the meantime the ship slips below the waves unnoticed. 

• Like 2

Thailand is okay. It's just so poluted now days no one that has the funds want to go after one or two visits. In Thailand and SE Asia, most people get in financial trouble because they can't say no. 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 9:45 PM, spidermike007 said:

High end international tourists will be the target in this third phase, with Thailand promoting itself as adestination for health tourism. 

A pipe dream. A total fantasy. Thailand used to attract wealthy tourists ten or fifteen years ago. That market has been declining for a dozen good reasons. Lack of expertise, lack of English skills, obnoxious and abusive luxury taxes, which discourage the kind of shopping wealthy people love to do while on vacation. Grotesque taxes on wine.

A stunning unwillingness to improve upon itself. Environmental ignorance and stupidity.

Insane lack of traffic safety. Lack of effective law enforcement. I could go on and on and on. 

Thailand is stuck with low and lower middle income tourists. And they will be very slow to return as this experiment with insanity, called an economic shutdown, is devastating hundreds of millions as we write. 

A very small amount of wealthy tourists will show up, but not enough to be of any significance. 

Yes no idea just destroyers 

You need to find a country that is irresponsible enough to allow travel during a pandemic and market to them.  

China will never come out and say it, but I'll eat my hat if you see Chinese tour groups there in October.  Live.  At Central World.  

On 5/20/2020 at 7:45 AM, spidermike007 said:

High end international tourists will be the target in this third phase, with Thailand promoting itself as adestination for health tourism. 

High end tourism are places like Hawaii, Bahamas.  Not Thailand.  It's as far from high end as one can possibly get, unless you go and call a vacation in Cambodia a vacation.  

On 5/19/2020 at 7:08 PM, Expat Tom said:

Yes, we can trust Thailand to invite 10,000,000 Chinese here who spend no money, degrade the infrastructure, clog the roads with tour busses, crowd the attractions, insult the Thai people, spit on the ground and bring the next wave of disease......yep...Trust Thailand!!!! 

Yep 100% correct.

That's why the Thai's are desperate to get 'em back.