is there ANY country close to Thailand I can travel to now or ASAP?

JohnBZ

I am very bored in Thailand after stuck here for the past 4 months.  Any country within 3 hours of flights I can visit now with a US passport?  Appreciate the information.

I like to leave asap. Sometime in June is OK too. July is a bit late as my boy will need to go to school by then

• Sad 1

All borders are closed, except in some cases, for repatriation of a country's own nationals.

The governments in Asia are planning to kick start their tourist economies firstly by domestic tourism, and then by regional tourism to countries with mutually low infection rates, such as Thailand to Cambodia or Thailand to Vietnam.International tourism will obviously take longer.

I cannot see it  being very successful as locally in Thailand, many don't have the funds currently and holidays are way down the list of priorities, the same in Vietnam and Cambodia.I should imagine Westerners here on long term visas and extensions will also be able to travel regionally when this is allowed to happen. They may also to get around the 14 day quarantine rule, by introducing a scheme that you must get a doctors certificate from a hospital after being checked out for Covid19, before you are allowed to travel.

Both Thailand and Cambodia are hoping to get back the Chinese and South Koreans quickly when the restrictions are lifted. I personally, wouldn't fancy being on a plane or in close proximity to Chinese nationals at the moment, when they are speaking of a second spike in China.

When this will happen depends on infection rates staying low but they are hoping for sometime in June or beginning of July currently.

Edited by Scouse123

I'm of exactly the same mind as the OP. I was in Hanoi for two weeks coming back to BKK March 11 just before the virus hit the fan. I have various reasons to return to Vietnam, but when? Also, before the virus I was spending almost a third of each year in Italy, which will be opening up international flights sooner than most expected, but at 80 I can't risk going from here to a place that still has daily cases. Oh well, there are worse places to be stuck than Bangkok... and it is relatively safe...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Enzian said:

... and it is relatively safe...

according to who?  The WHO?  Internet?  OK.....

I really thought with the internet we would now think rationally, question everything, and not believe everything.  

My advice is to treat every place equally as dangerous, and wait for the vaccine.  If you say, "Hey, I'm in North Korea, no cases" and then hang out with group of 100,000 strangers coughing......well, ok.

We want to believe we are smart and would never be dumb enough to be in an "unsafe" area, so we read about countries testing for covid.  

just be safe......

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, AtlasAus said:

It's not so much if you can go somewhere else, but trying to get back in.... That has what has kept me here to date, not knowing when I could ever get back into Thailand. 

Coming back to Thailand can be a problem.  But I am so bored here and need an adventure outside the country so much that I am willing to take the risk.  I believe that if I can get our of Thailand now and have fun in a new country for a month, by then most countries will be open even if Thailand does not let me come back.

Worst case, I can always go back to the good old USA. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

All borders are closed, except in some cases, for repatriation of a country's own nationals.

The governments in Asia are planning to kick start their tourist economies firstly by domestic tourism, and then by regional tourism to countries with mutually low infection rates, such as Thailand to Cambodia or Thailand to Vietnam.International tourism will obviously take longer.

I cannot see it  being very successful as locally in Thailand, many don't have the funds currently and holidays are way down the list of priorities, the same in Vietnam and Cambodia.I should imagine Westerners here on long term visas and extensions will also be able to travel regionally when this is allowed to happen. They may also to get around the 14 day quarantine rule, by introducing a scheme that you must get a doctors certificate from a hospital after being checked out for Covid19, before you are allowed to travel.

Both Thailand and Cambodia are hoping to get back the Chinese and South Koreans quickly when the restrictions are lifted. I personally, wouldn't fancy being on a plane or in close proximity to Chinese nationals at the moment, when they are speaking of a second spike in China.

When this will happen depends on infection rates staying low but they are hoping for sometime in June or beginning of July currently.

It is not a question of if you like to be around Chinese.  It is a matter of survival.  Thailand need the Chinese to be back ASAP.  otherwise, the economical pain is too much!

I hope China would be open soon.  There are many signs now as many international airlines from US and elsewhere are talking about restarting their Chine route in late June and July.

I keep my fingers crossed.  The day of international travel will come.  Sooner or the better!

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, JohnBZ said:

I am very bored in Thailand after stuck here for the past 4 months.  Any country within 3 hours of flights I can visit now with a US passport?

The only country You can very probably fly to the is USA your visit would probably be several months or even permanent.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JohnBZ said:

Coming back to Thailand can be a problem.  But I am so bored here and need an adventure outside the country so much that I am willing to take the risk.  I believe that if I can get our of Thailand now and have fun in a new country for a month, by then most countries will be open even if Thailand does not let me come back.

Worst case, I can always go back to the good old USA. 

Typical Republican viewpoint. Good luck. Get your excitement on Fox News instead.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ventenio said:

I really thought with the internet we would now think rationally, question everything, and not believe everything.  

I really think that with social media if there were a huge number of cases that the government were not revealing then care workers and family and friends and colleagues of those affected would be screaming about it on-line . That's my thinking rationally in the days of the internet. There are no more secrets. Look what happened in the UK when the government there 'forgot' to include cases in care homes, where a quarter of all deaths have occured. Family and care workers soon made it known what was really happening.

Ethiopia looks like an option if you can manage a 14 day quarantine. ????????????????????????????

You don't say where you are except Thailand, but you could look up some of the 'resorts' stuck out in the boonies and go enjoy some place which is 'more' Thai.  There's also a few farangs that have built little resorts about Thailand who would love to give you good company and tell you about their experiences here. Have fun. 

It is hard to live with a wife and 3 year old boy in a small hotel room for more than 4 months.  I think I am doing right most of the times.  Otherwise, I would have exploded.

Anyhow, we may travel to some Thai island for a few days.  but really it would be nice to get out of the country for while.

I think the governments and media have no rights to hype the corona virus so that they can have more power over everyone's life.

The risk is already very low for travel within Thailand and some asian countries. The decision and choice of domestic and international's travel should be individual's NOT government's or media's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnBZ said:

It is hard to live with a wife and 3 year old boy in a small hotel room for more than 4 months.  I think I am doing right most of the times.  Otherwise, I would have exploded.

Anyhow, we may travel to some Thai island for a few days.  but really it would be nice to get out of the country for while.

I think the governments and media have no rights to hype the corona virus so that they can have more power over everyone's life.

The risk is already very low for travel within Thailand and some asian countries. The decision and choice of domestic and international's travel should be individual's NOT government's or media's.

Thailand’s neighbor just lifted the ban for US citizens. Also no more quarantine, unless someone in your travel group would be positive for SARS-CoV-2. You still need a health certificate saying that you don’t have Covid-19, and a health insurance covering 50000$.

Cambodia has zero new cases For more than a month now, and no deaths. Looks like the safest place if you worry about the virus. 

Oh yes, no beach ban, restaurants open, very relaxed attitude towards masks or distancing, and no virus.

I have some friends which moved there the last years, they are quite happy there. I’m seriously considering going there for a while to see if I like it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lee b said:

I'm really very happy to wait out this virus in Thailand. A few restrictions that dont make sense, but overall very happy.

Agree, I had a trip booked back to the U.K. in mid March, so happy I cancelled, would probably be fighting someone in ASDA now over some toilet rolls.

Feel like I am in the safest place now , happy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

Thailand’s neighbor just lifted the ban for US citizens. Also no more quarantine, unless someone in your travel group would be positive for SARS-CoV-2. You still need a health certificate saying that you don’t have Covid-19, and a health insurance covering 50000$.

Cambodia has zero new cases For more than a month now, and no deaths. Looks like the safest place if you worry about the virus. 

Oh yes, no beach ban, restaurants open, very relaxed attitude towards masks or distancing, and no virus.

I have some friends which moved there the last years, they are quite happy there. I’m seriously considering going there for a while to see if I like it.

great news. Which country are you talking about?  Cambodia?  I am 50 km away from the border.  Can I get a visa on arrival with a US passport?  I can not wait.  Thanks.