What happens when passport expires?

Not sure which is the correct forum for this question...

The U.S. embassy, and probably others, is not issuing new passports during the COVID emergency. No telling when they will resume, and of course there will be a big backlog once they do. They do give emergency PP for repatriation only, but that is not my concern. 

By now, certainly someone on here has had their passport expire and unable to get a new one.  While none of us need to travel right now, I would be a bit uneasy living overseas with an expired passport.  AFAIK, there is nothing we can do about it, but are the Thai authorities understanding & forgiving on this matter?

On Monday 18 May I got my 1-year extension stamped in my passport. Fortunately, I still have 6 months left or they likely would not have given me the stamp.  The PP expires in March 2020, so by July or August of this year I should be requesting the new passport, and get my stamp moved to the new one. It's not clear whether I'll be able to meet this timeline or not.

Has anyone already encountered this problem?  Is there any indication of how Thai authorities view the matter?  The longer this goes one, the greater will be the impact to many of us. 

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, USNret said:

The PP expires in March 2020

I assume you meant 2021.

If you passport was to expire while here you would be in the country illegally. You must have a valid passport.

If a person needs a passport now the embassy will issue a emergency passport valid for one year. 

From the embassy website.

image.png.8ce80873fe1f87d0a47baa5048f58ba8.png

Source: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

I think the bottleneck is the passport processing office(s) in the U.S.?

One hopes that they will resume "normal" operation soon, and the Embassy/Consular Service here will resume accepting mail-in renewals.

If you apply or renew now, you will experience significant delays of several months to receive your U.S. passport and the return of your citizenship evidence documents (such as birth certificates or naturalization certificates). Unless you have a life-or-death emergency, please wait until we resume normal operations to apply for or renew your passport.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html?fbclid=IwAR0nLU49J5KZFLmDxzzMJ79VTZ65_MxSJp8RWloD-tRhCijSsnAsygpiHa8

I don't expect this "service" to be restored anytime soon...  It relies on airmail being back to it's previous level of consistency. 

They don't manufacture the passport at the embassy anymore, so it all has to be shipped back to the US, and then mailed to you...

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

I think the bottleneck is the passport processing office(s) in the U.S.?

It states this on the first line the notice I posted.

"As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, Passport centers have suspended processing and shipping overseas photo-digitized passport (OPDPs) to all Embassies and Consulates. "

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you meant 2021.

If you passport was to expire while here you would be in the country illegally. You must have a valid passport.

If a person needs a passport now the embassy will issue a emergency passport valid for one year. 

Source: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

What about British Passports? I am not aware the Embassy will do more than issue a travel document in the event of an emergency. I am aware of 2 people here in Isaan whose British passports (and visas) have expired wuith several more about to expire.

15 minutes ago, Saddic said:

I don't expect this "service" to be restored anytime soon...  It relies on airmail being back to it's previous level of consistency. 

They don't manufacture the passport at the embassy anymore, so it all has to be shipped back to the US, and then mailed to you...

I think the documents are transmitted electronically from Thailand to the U.S.

After production the new passports are returned to the embassy via air, and then mailed via prepaid EMS within Thailand.

I think the embassy must be using some sort of reliable/secure transport service (DHL, FedEx. etc.) currently? Maybe they always used those for passports?

12 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

What about British Passports? I am not aware the Embassy will do more than issue a travel document in the event of an emergency. I am aware of 2 people here in Isaan whose British passports (and visas) have expired wuith several more about to expire.

They can issue a emergency passport.

See: https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

They can issue a emergency passport.

See: https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

That is simply a travel document if you want to travel.......and can!  It does not address the problem of being in Thailand without a passport, which the US government appear to have dealt with.

Those whose passports have expired (and their visas) are at the mercy of Immigration. Suggestions have been made that Immigration will be sympathetic, but it is well known that each Immigration Office does what it wants, not what HO orders!   Same as the Thai banks! There will undoubtedly be demands for a few under the counter 10,000's or even 20.000 Baht!

13 minutes ago, USNret said:

Wondering if anyone here has followed the emergency procedures yet to get the EDPD.  How did it work out? 

I am sure people have gotten one if they needed a passport now. I am aware of people getting one before.

I am not sure why anyone would need one urgently now. The advice is to get a new one before you have less than 6 months remaining on your passport.

I am sure you will be able to get new passport before you will need one. 

18 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It can be issued to stay here as well. It is equal to having a passport.

Don't go by the title of the page.

Its a pity the guidelines do not say that. Many here have deep concerns because they have no valid passport, and the British Embassy have not told them other than they can have a travel document should they need to travel urgently.

It would be useful if the Ambassador would mention this when he next gives his pep talk on the internet.

5 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Its a pity the guidelines do not say that. Many here have deep concerns because they have no valid passport, and the British Embassy have not told them other than they can have a travel document should they need to travel urgently.

It would be useful if the Ambassador would mention this when he next gives his pep talk on the internet.

He did.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I find it hard to believe that the embassy would suggest a person stay here on an expired passport. It is written in the immigration act a valid one is needed.

As I wrote in my previous post I am perplexed as to why anybody would be here on a expired passport. They should always be applied for well ahead of it expiring.

• Like 1

Joe...not everyone has the foresight and intelligence that you (and I ) have.????????

Some leave it till late. I helped 6 people to renew their passports last March, and the new ones have not yet come back as VFS is shut. 2 of the old ones have now expired.  HMPO will neither send the new ones to the Embassy nor direct to the customer.

I really doubt the Embassy care any more than HMPO.

Edited by prakhonchai nick
incomplete
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Joe...not everyone has the foresight and intelligence that you (and I ) have.????????

I think some people are worried about losing a few months of validity on their existing passport when they apply for new one.

Many have found out the hard way that they should of not worried about losing a little money by getting their new passport early.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It can be issued to stay here as well. It is equal to having a passport.

Don't go by the title of the page.

Unfortunately this is not the case for the British Embassy. In response to an enquiry of mine on this point they made it clear that emergency passports would only be issued to those with specific travel plans - which the overwhelming majority of us longstay Brit expats don't, of course, have. However, in his recent message, the Ambassador did invite those with difficulties with their passport situation to email the Embassy:-

https://www.facebook.com/ukinthailand/videos/241012710327189/

9 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Unfortunately this is not the case for the British Embassy. In response to an enquiry of mine on this point they made it clear that emergency passports would only be issued to those with specific travel plans

That is probably their standard reply.

Are they going get people out of jail for not having a valid passport?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure people have gotten one if they needed a passport now. I am aware of people getting one before.

I am not sure why anyone would need one urgently now. The advice is to get a new one before you have less than 6 months remaining on your passport.

I am sure you will be able to get new passport before you will need one. 

It's not a matter of anyone being in trouble yet, but I can foresee the longer this goes on, the more people will fall into this situation.  Let's say last February you had 8 months on your PP and had planned to renew.  But then the embassy shut down and you cannot.  By now, you'd have less than 6 months remaining, and if you are on a Non-O marriage or retirement visa, at this point immigration would NOT issue a stamp for you.  So yeah... Life can be getting difficult for some people right now, and more people before too long.

Would immigration give you a new extension in one of those 1-year emergency passports?  I don't know, but that's why I started this conversation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, USNret said:

By now, you'd have less than 6 months remaining, and if you are on a Non-O marriage or retirement visa, at this point immigration would NOT issue a stamp for you.  

That is not correct. They will issue an extension of stay but it will only be valid to the day the passport expires.

There is no 6 month rule. 

The 6 months advise to apply for a new passport is based upon the fact that many countries require 6 months of passport validity to enter. For those from many countries 6 months of passport validity is not required for entry to Thailand.

13 minutes ago, USNret said:

Would immigration give you a new extension in one of those 1-year emergency passports?  I don't know, but that's why I started this conversation.

Yes they will do an extension in one but as I said above they will only issue it to the date the emergency passport expires.

• Like 1

My situation is not so serious, passport expires August 2021 but my extension is due November this year, so if I do nothing before then I will hopefully get a stamp for 9 more months. I can live with that under the circumstances.

Surely VFS will be back up and running soon. What about all the Brits in all the other countries in the same boat? The backlog is going to be huge potentially.

I hope the ambassadors video reference means he is talking to immigration about confirming an emergency document can in fact be use for a temporary extension. It would make sense and mean a single trip to the Embasssy via an appointment. Surely an online solution could be worked out too? DHL is still working well I hear.

As for being organised and thinking ahead, I had a trip home just for this reason and should have been leaving today, best laid plans eh?

• Like 1

Repatriation may become a concern.

I do know of this happening & NO option then but to get a "Vitre de Voyage"

which will get you home.

Then you can start the process of getting a new passport.

Check with your Embassy 

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not correct. They will issue an extension of stay but it will only be valid to the day the passport expires.

I always thought that you needed a full year remaining in your passport for a non-O (ret) extension.

Let's hope they will be lenient in these crazy times

14 minutes ago, Vigilante said:

I always thought that you needed a full year remaining in your passport for a non-O (ret) extension.

Not correct.

They will issue the extension to the day the passport expires. A full year is not required.

• Like 1

My situation is UK passport expires this September and annual extension due this month. New passport applied for in March, before Trendy closed, no sign of application at passport office till this month, current status 'checking details'.

Contacted immigration and they said they would extend till passport expires, just extended and they granted a full 12 months. So happy chappie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you meant 2021.

hi joe, my FRENCH passport expires in November 2020 and my extension of stay expires October 35 2020, contacted the French embassy and they told me to wait until they reopen or restart operations, they said I may have to go to BKK, which at this time is not an option as domestic flights are not operational (am in south Thailand) do you know of any other options regarding the French, thks

13 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

French embassy and they told me to wait until they reopen or restart operations, they said I may have to go to BKK, which at this time is not an option as domestic flights are not operational (am in south Thailand) do you know of any other options regarding the French, thks

The French embassy website states you have to apply and pick it up in Bangkok.

See: https://th.ambafrance.org/Faire-votre-demande-de-passeport

I think the embassy will be open before you need to apply for it. Just keep checking with them.

More flights should be available at the end of this month. Some airports are open in the South now for domestic flights.

• Like 1

It is an interesting question. I have two British friends who requested new passports (and submitted their old ones), Their applications were accepted, but then the embassy closed down its passport office. Now both do not have passports and their extensions have expired.

Both are not too fussed assuming the issue can be sorted with Thai immigration when they finally do get a new passport.

I was in the same situation, but the Australian Embassy did not close its passport office and I received my new one 2 weeks after travelling to Bangkok to submit my application.

Personally, I don't see how an embassy could deny its citizens such a basic service, but it seems that many embassies have and consequently have left their citizens in the lurch.

So it appears no one on TV knows how this will be resolved (e.g for those expats now without a valid passport and valid visa)?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stevemercer said:

It is an interesting question. I have two British friends who requested new passports (and submitted their old ones), Their applications were accepted, but then the embassy closed down its passport office. Now both do not have passports and their extensions have expired.

They do not keep the old passport when a UK passport is applied for. It is returned after the application is accepted.

• Like 2