JK Rowling stuns fans by confirming real birthplace of Harry Potter

snoop1130

JK Rowling stuns fans by confirming real birthplace of Harry Potter

By Annie Lord

fh.PNG

Image: Instagram

JK Rowling has revealed where she started writing the Harry Potter books, contradicting fans who believed for years that Edinburgh was its birthplace.

The Elephant House Cafe in Edinburgh is widely regarded as the place the now 54-year-old author wrote the first of the seven fantasy novels.

While it is true that Rowling used to frequent the cafe in the early days of her writing career, the author revealed yesterday (21 May) that she actually started the series in London, in a flat above a sports shop in Clapham.

Referring to the sign on Elephant House which reads “birthplace of Harry Potter”, Rowling tweeted: “I’d been writing Potter for several years before I ever set foot in this cafe, so it’s not the birthplace, but I *did* write in there so we’ll let them off!”

Full Story: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/jk-rowling-harry-potter-birthplace-clapham-edinburgh-a9527656.html

1 hour ago, Langsuan Man said:

JK Rowling has my respect merely for getting kids to read 

I don't really care what they read just so long as they learn that there are alternatives to television and movies 

A great public service for the future in my humble opinion 

Mein Kampf would be a good starter for a 5 year old.

Too late JK! It's already been enshrined as another great Scottish "fact". Just like Walter Scott's novels are used to invent Scottish historical myths; and Victorian tartan patterns invented by enterprising Jewish tailors suddenly became centuries hold "clan traditional tartans".

Scots have a propensity for inventing history and then adding incredible imagined detail to it. Helped by clowns like Mel Gibson.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Too late JK! It's already been enshrined as another great Scottish "fact". Just like Walter Scott's novels are used to invent Scottish historical myths; and Victorian tartan patterns invented by enterprising Jewish tailors suddenly became centuries hold "clan traditional tartans".

Scots have a propensity for inventing history and then adding incredible imagined detail to it. Helped by clowns like Mel Gibson.

Oh come on everyone does it. St George and the Dragon, King Arthur and virtually every Hollywood historical film ever made has had their share of rewriting history. Maybe jealousy as the Scots are a little better at doing it than some.

Edited by Scotssing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Horrid woman. There are those who proclaim how we must be scientific,  must shun primitive religious practices, mysticism etc. and yet they  fall into a hedonistic frenzy over harry potter the  annoying prat and his  collection of obnoxious pals. Harry potter is a celebration of  revisionist satanism where the gods of greek mythology have  been repackaged and rebranded as hobgoblins, pixies, elves, and whatever.  Nonsensical idiocy. Watching  university kids  running about with brooms between their  legs pretending they were quidditch "athletes" was depressing. I could understand had they been drunk or stoned, but they were serious. No different than the idiots who dress up as klingons and elves to attend comicon. We called them the Ted Kazinski unit of the special ed short bus.

Blimey! I'm glad I haven't read any of the books then. I am the only one?

As a father that had two pre-teens, then teenagers, that literally lived for the next book/movie to come out, I can relate to the hype and interest in the series. However, I must admit that I am somewhat surprised this article cleared the hurdle to make it on ThaiVisa, unless I was the target audience. ????

7 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You do realize its fiction, aimed at entertaining children? 

Yes of course it is. Good fiction, well written and excellent for developing the reading skills of older children, perhaps in the same way as C.S.Lewis's "Narnia" novels were for our (sticking my neck out a bit here} generation! Even a good relaxing read for adults I suggest.

It has been taken up by many who seek, and claim to have identified philosophical threads running through the tales. I can remember having some of this philosophy explained (sort of) by a woman whom I knew back in the UK. She was spouting utter nonsense, mind you she was barking most of the time anyway!

So I rather agree with both Geriatrickid and you, yes it is fiction and entertainment, and reading anything else into it is silly.

On 5/23/2020 at 4:27 AM, Baerboxer said:

Gosh, do you feel better now?

On 5/23/2020 at 10:20 AM, stouricks said:

Mein Kampf would be a good starter for a 5 year old.

Or a 50 year old with visions of Thailand being the place to retire a few years ago, and then discovering the reality.

Edited by phetchy
  • Haha 1