Tears and heartbreak as flight ban keeps farang-Thai families apart

rooster59

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I left Thailand on 25th January for a 10 week rotation. My opposite was not able to fly in to relieve me after that 10 weeks.

How do you suggest I could have changed that scenario ? Not really after an answer from you, because you have no clue anyway...

To all the other guys/gals stuck overseas, keep smiling and lets hope we can get home soon..

Double shift = double money (or more).

I used to do that all the time, we did week on, week off ...... when our opposite number took a holiday ..... 3 weeks on.

Just now, BritManToo said:

I used to do that all the time, we did week on, week off ...... when our opposite number took a holiday ..... 3 weeks on.

I get paid 12 months of the year anyway, so makes no odds to me. I'll just be owed the extra time off...

9 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

I left Thailand on 25th January for a 10 week rotation. My opposite was not able to fly in to relieve me after that 10 weeks.

How do you suggest I could have changed that scenario ? Not really after an answer from you, because you have no clue anyway...

Um, the virus was already very serious on the 25th Jan. If I cared about my family I would've stayed right here with them. It's called "priorities" and what you really care about. If it was me I would say stuff work, I care more about my family than leaving them. But that's me. Others might have other priorities.

Edited by bbi1
  • Sad 5

No one seems to be asking the question, why were so many husbands not with their families when the lockdown began ?

How many left after lockdown because earning money was more important than being with their families.

If it teaches us anything, it's that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Having scrolled down this page after posting, it looks like a few people have asked that question ????

Edited by berybert
  • Like 1
  • Sad 5

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not that simple and clear cut anymore, offshore employers and employees are doing it hard, trust me.

I know of vessels in Saudi waters where the crew have been onboard for over 4 months now, equally their opposite numbers have been at home without pay for the same period, to date there is no sign of this changing, meanwhile the owners are getting screwed on charter rates, all in all not great.

6 minutes ago, berybert said:

No one seems to be asking the question, why were so many husbands not with their families when the lockdown began ?

How many left after lockdown because earning money was more important than being with their families.

If it teaches us anything, it's that you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Bingo! It proves they didn't really care about their families and preferred chasing the all mighty dollar, which meant they had long periods away from their families anyway. Now they bitch like little kids they can't come back here and it's only been 2 months since flights have been cancelled, which if they had a 10 week contract they have been working all this time and been away from their families like any other time in the past.

Edited by bbi1
  • Sad 6

4 minutes ago, rtco said:

Forget coming from abroad I have family up-country and can't visit because, as I understand it, the area they live in still has the 14-day quarantine restriction in place and if you visit you are subjected to the "spanish inquisition" yet they are still operating their bl@@dy markets with little or no social distancing. Frustrated to say the least.

Um, why not just do the 14-day quarantine as you will be doing the quarantine at their house anyway?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aussieroaming said:

I'm also under duel country closure at present, so waiting for both to open up. Next step will be whether I can get back in on visa on arrival in order to re-start my long stay visa process. 

Eventually all country's need to be able to manage this problem and open up their countries with caution and controls in place. 

I think best bet is to get a 90 day visa to be safe and be prepared for quarantine, with new baby i plan to quarantine on same property just to make sure nothing is carried into our village. Already plan long service leave as soon as i can get a flight

• Like 2

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thus, my point: If Thai's can enter Thailand to return to their families, why can't foreigners (with families in Thailand).

How many countries would let those Thai families in now? Same same, but different countries. Don't blame Thailand for doing the same as western countries.

If living in a country that will, bring Thai family to your country.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Um, why not just do the 14-day quarantine as you will be doing the quarantine at their house anyway?

14-days is too long as I have commitments where I live and village life does nothing for me I'm afraid

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Little chance of opening up until October, 14 day quarantine when returning to the UK from 8th June now.

And what of those coming in illegally on boats across the channel?  The "security theater" is so silly.

1 hour ago, Mattd said:

Somebody going to work in February, offshore for example, could not have predicted this.

Find another employer, are you having a laugh.......................... not all farangs can work in Thailand and unless you haven't noticed, the world is about to go in to the biggest recession that most of us will have never experienced before, jobs are not going to easy to come by.

What you are basically saying is it is som nom na for somebody trying to do their best and support their family in hard times.

But it was announced a few days before they actually shut the airports so travel arrangments could have been made to return.

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting question: For the majority the primary answer to number 2 will be money (i.e. for work), others funerals and urgent matters. I don't think there are many who traveled with frivolous disregard close to the onset of lock down.

I was working on rotation in Dubai (4wks away, 4 weeks at home in BKK). I flew to Dubai for work on 23rd Feb - Thailand and the UAE closed its borders not too long after that.

I think the lock down was a good idea. I argued firmly that it was necessary while we did not have a handle on the progression of this virus.

Now, I think mistakes are being made. Not because I'm away from my family, but because the objectives of lock-down have been met. Health services were not overwhelmed.

Can we wait another 12-18 month of lock-down for an vaccine? will a vaccine ever come?

So if you knew the airports in UAE were closing why did you not come home to be with your family?

Chasing the money one suspects?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1