Put safety before money - academic warns about opening country too quickly to "infected" foreigners

webfact

On 5/29/2020 at 1:19 PM, ezzra said:

I wonder if foreigners money also "infected"? without tourism money this country will go back to be what it used to be 100 years ago, poor and backward country, it is a shame that in thees days and age we still have to listen to this kind of racist garbage...

I think when a supposed university academic provides such comments it still is a poor and backward country.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, johnarth said:

According to my daughter Australia is back to normal, no problems but not raving about it, a nice way of saying stay away

Queensland border is still closed though.

1 hour ago, Reigntax said:

I think when a supposed university academic provides such comments it still is a poor and backward country.

:blink:

You realise that you are condemning a country for something that this person didn't even say !!!

As previously said in this thread, the word "infected" was not present in the original Thai article.

It has been added by ThaiVisa/TheNation as part of their "translation" :bah:

On 5/28/2020 at 11:48 PM, dsj said:

Actually they haven't completely lift the international travel ban for July 1st

Where does it say July 1st?

Isn't it the current policy that is in effect right now?

What happens July 1st is still unknown at this point.

Here in DK a lot of things are back to almost normal and so far the numbers are not rising.

Still have crowd controls and no concerts or spectators at soccer matches etc etc

But practically Noone worn or wear masks here, so seems like it's possible to open up, if hygiene and a bit of social distance is practiced. 

But we still keep our borders shut and in a few weeks time we allow entrance to only a few selected neighboring countries. 

Maybe Thailand is doing the same? 

Start slow and see how it progress before opening up for everyone? 

On 5/29/2020 at 10:58 AM, Chivas said:

Its a tough choice. Make no mistake Thailand has done superbly over containing Covid unlike my own hapless government in the UK which have acted with catastrophic results.

I suspect the borders will open later this year but with really onerous restrictions in place first that will put off 95% of regular visitors.

I cant praise Thailand enough personally for the superb job they have done in controlling Covid overall

Well I was speaking to a friend who I haven't seen for a while

His brother died in January back in the UK after a trip to Thailand

It was a shock to me because I'd had a drink with his brother in December and he was in good nick. 

His cause of death was stated as pneumonia back in England

He had spent New Year in a village with gf up in the boonies and came down with terrible flu like symptoms

Several people in the village had it too and two subsequently died

He got a flight back to the UK as he felt so bad and passed away a few weeks later in hospital

Could have easily been Chinese flu 

I would think there are lot more like that throughout the country in December, January & February, before there was any testing whatsoever

• Thanks 1

Everybody who wants to come here must self quarantine two weeks before entering .Upon arrival be subjected to testing and another two weeks of quarantine in Thailand. 

This should be enough overkill to satisfy the covid social distancing mob.

Some who have families and financial ties here will surely jump through hoops to get here asap

Edited by Yankeesvsredsox
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Yankeesvsredsox said:

Everybody who wants to come here must self quarantine two weeks before entering .Upon arrival be subjected to testing and another two weeks of quarantine in Thailand. 

This should be enough overkill to satisfy the covid social distancing mob

also enough for the me me me crowd to have a good cry over !!

• Sad 2

On 5/28/2020 at 10:19 PM, ezzra said:

I wonder if foreigners money also "infected"? without tourism money this country will go back to be what it used to be 100 years ago, poor and backward country, it is a shame that in thees days and age we still have to listen to this kind of racist garbage...

I hear the same in most posts in this forum.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Yankeesvsredsox said:

How about if they don't want to self-quarantine 14-days, they can pay for a Covid-19 test and if proved negative, they leave the qurantine? I think this can going to work. 

• Sad 1

On 5/29/2020 at 5:19 AM, ezzra said:

Looks like you didn't notice who wrote this "racist garbage"...

Not a Thai people !

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mulambana said:

How about if they don't want to self-quarantine 14-days, they can pay for a Covid-19 test and if proved negative, they leave the qurantine? I think this can going to work. 

Quarantine (14 days) is needed because of the many asymptomatic people. ????

• Like 2

On 5/29/2020 at 10:19 AM, ezzra said:

Racism is written right into the Thai constitution.  Easy to complain about it, but much more complex to DO something about it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2020 at 11:02 AM, totally thaied up said:

Yet the million dollar question is why Thailand did not suffer like others. We had the Chinese in here by the bucket load, yet it seems it did take off. What stopped it? That's my question.

not the  govt or the people

On 5/29/2020 at 9:51 AM, Cali farong said:

Yeah keep it locked down until it’s total economic free fall.

Then guess who will be there to help,  the ones who started 

this pandemic.

It's easy for these well fed academics to make such assertions as hundreds of thousands of regular folk can't eat regular meals.

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2020 at 11:02 AM, totally thaied up said:

Yet the million dollar question is why Thailand did not suffer like others. We had the Chinese in here by the bucket load, yet it seems it did take off. What stopped it? That's my question.

I think it is due to several factors, most importantly, thai culture is one of non-physical contact, without the handshaking/hugging/kissing that is standard in western cultures, sunlight, which contains UV radiation, is extremely effective in killing the virus, and because of the PM 2.5 problem, many/most were already wearing decent quality masks, although I think the mask issue had the least effect based on how the virus is actually transmitted between people.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, poskat said:

I think it is due to several factors, most importantly, thai culture is one of non-physical contact, without the handshaking/hugging/kissing that is standard in western cultures, sunlight, which contains UV radiation, is extremely effective in killing the virus, and because of the PM 2.5 problem, many/most were already wearing decent quality masks, although I think the mask issue had the least effect based on how the virus is actually transmitted between people.

Yes, it is strange considering that in the early days it seemed like they were trying their best to spread it as fast as possible. They were accepting tourists long after other countries had stopped incoming flights. I remember in March they were complaining that only 10,000 per day were coming through Suvarnabhumi. Remember how long it took the Immigration department to catch on? 

Edited by JensenZ

On 6/8/2020 at 2:38 PM, fideliolux said:

99% of infectioned people were Thai Nationals who came back from the labour camps in Korea, Saudi Arabia, Kuweit etc.

where they live 10 to 12 people in one room!

Those are the facts, but someone would loose face to admit it!

And can you provide evidence to support your claim or its just pure BS

On 6/8/2020 at 2:38 PM, fideliolux said:

99% of infectioned people were Thai Nationals who came back from the labour camps in Korea, Saudi Arabia, Kuweit etc.

where they live 10 to 12 people in one room!

Those are the facts, but someone would loose face to admit it!

I think for sure there are other infectious people. The flights from China, the early part of the Italian infection when they were still coming, in particular. 

We appear to be getting sensitive that falang longer term residents are being targeted. They were already here and weren't bringing in the virus obviously. Many went home because their visa expired or they couldn't afford the medical expense if it came to that. Not surprisingly the Thai Government was glad to see them go, nobody knew what the burden on the local health service would be at that point.

We have moved on from that time, and now nobody in their right mind would take US or most of the EU visitors into their country, UK ones in particular. The academic is simply stating facts. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

There is an opinion poll that has just been reported (by a newspaper named after the capital city) in which the majority of Thais believe the borders should not be open to "foreigners" for between the next 4 months to a year! The masses have really been scared by what they are told or fed by gov. All those nasty infected non thais. Shocking   Do a search, cant put link on here  

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 2