US SS form 7162

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

So are some people choosing to either mail in a 7162 to Wilkes-Barre? Or a scan and email to Manila?

I may do that again but waiting it out for a while to see if  it appears later than normal (5th or 6th of June). Or they announce the are not sending them.

You have 60 days to send it from the date on the form they send you and then another 60 days if they send a 2nd notice.

Got one every year since 2005 except last year, so if they are sending them this year, which I understand they are not, then I'll definitely get one. Last year I busted a gut sending a self made form because I don't trust the fed or the med, but this year I'm going to hold out. If anyone out there does get the form in the mail, please holler. 

• Like 1

I checked my mail box yesterday.  Nada.

We should probably start a thread for 2021 instead of adding to this old 2020 thread.  Yes?  No? 
@ubonjoe

Fyi.  I never sent anything to Manila or Wilkes-Barr last year.  They never sent forms.  No problem with receiving SS payments this year.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, connda said:

We should probably start a thread for 2021 instead of adding to this old 2020 thread.  Yes?  No? 

I think it is best to keep this one ongoing since there is useful info in the posts from last year.

14 minutes ago, connda said:

I never sent anything to Manila or Wilkes-Barr last year. 

I sent mine to Manila by email in the early days last year of it when they were suggesting to send it to them.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Just an update:

July 12, 2021.  Checked the PO box.  No SS Form 7162.

In other news, the Overseas Citizen Voter Absentee Voting Overview FVAP must have one heck of a US budget.  I have literally received two letters and 7 postcards from the organization.  Back in my military and government days we'd call that Waste in the Waste, Fraud, and Abuse category.  Well, DC is awash in trillions as I guess they feel they can waste it.
I don't know why as I know my local voting office back in the US well, many on a first name basis. 

Edited by connda
  • 4 weeks later...

I mailed it in  without getting the from and it got to PA ISA but unreal mailing time. below it the tracking information. It was sent registered airmail. 

August 4, 2021, 1:20 pm
Delivered
WILKES BARRE, PA 18767 
Your item was delivered at 1:20 pm on August 4, 2021 in WILKES BARRE, PA 18767.

August 4, 2021, 12:47 pm
Arrived at Post Office
WILKES BARRE, PA 18701 

July 15, 2021
In Transit to Next Facility

July 11, 2021, 8:42 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 11, 2021, 11:08 am
Processed Through Facility
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

June 23, 2021, 11:24 am
SUVARNABHUMI MAIL CENTRE (SMC), THAILAND

June 23, 2021, 11:15 am

June 22, 2021, 9:36 am
Acceptance
THAILAND

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2021 at 1:20 PM, pmarlin said:

I mailed it in  without getting the from and it got to PA ISA but unreal mailing time. below it the tracking information. It was sent registered airmail. 

August 4, 2021, 1:20 pm
Delivered
WILKES BARRE, PA 18767 
Your item was delivered at 1:20 pm on August 4, 2021 in WILKES BARRE, PA 18767.

August 4, 2021, 12:47 pm
Arrived at Post Office
WILKES BARRE, PA 18701 

July 15, 2021
In Transit to Next Facility

July 11, 2021, 8:42 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

July 11, 2021, 11:08 am
ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS) 

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

June 23, 2021, 11:24 am

June 23, 2021, 11:15 am

June 22, 2021, 9:36 am
Acceptance
THAILAND

So four weeks to get from New York to Pennsylvania? Daniel Boone could have blazed a trail through faster than that.

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Emma K said:

But does anyone know what the story is for 2021?

Same as 2020.

I have not received a 7162 this year.

The general consensus here and on other ex-pat forums was that it was not necessary this year. 

However, if you are at all concerned, you are free to mail in a 7162 to Wilkes-Barre, or do the email thing to Manila. I chose to do nothing this year.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for getting back to me.  I'm on the "every second year" requirement, so didn't have to deal with this last year.

From all your experience last year, were there many people who "did nothing" and everything was ok?

Also, do we have anything concrete to support an official position that they are not requiring these completed forms in 2021?  Thank you for your help!

19 hours ago, Emma K said:

From all your experience last year, were there many people who "did nothing" and everything was ok?

I am aware of many people that did nothing last year without having a problem. No 2nd notices were sent.

19 hours ago, Emma K said:

Also, do we have anything concrete to support an official position that they are not requiring these completed forms in 2021?

No But it is assumed they are simply carrying it over to this year.

They certainly have not mailed any this year yet. I am not aware of anybody that has gotten one.

Already more than 3 months later than I normally would get one.

Edited by ubonjoe
corrected typo
2 hours ago, Emma K said:

Yikes.  With the people you're aware of who did nothing last year, what problem occurred?  Did they get suspended / terminated?

I failed to put without in my post that is now corrected.

Nobody had their SSA payments suspended for not doing a report.

1 hour ago, djeetyet said:

I have not received any notice as of date, either. Just checked my bank and the September SS was deposited as usual. Thanks to all of you who post and keep this thread active with the latest information. 

If there was a problem your payments would not be suspended until February next year.

Before that you would of get 2nd notice for the report this month or next and then a letter in December or January about it.

22 hours ago, Emma K said:

Thanks so much for getting back to me.  I'm on the "every second year" requirement, so didn't have to deal with this last year.

Also, do we have anything concrete to support an official position that they are not requiring these completed forms in 2021?  Thank you for your help!

don't know anyone in Thailand that was on an every other year, if so, good for you

This is not new news but I recently send and email to Manila and included my bio and last four digits of SSN and told them I had not received a form 7162 yet. What to do?

They got back to me and said the forms are not going to be sent out this year because of Covid. stati

So until I hear otherwise, I am going to sit tight. Last year I printed  a form 7162 and sent it to the USA with an attached explanation stating that I had not received  a 7162 form. Never heard from them

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Update:

https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/index.html

Notice Regarding Forms SSA-7161 and SSA-7162

The postal service disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic have resolved in the majority of countries. The Social Security Administration will resume mailing the forms SSA-7161 and SSA-7162 in late June 2022. Forms will be mailed according to the schedule that was in effect prior to the pandemic (i.e. if you were expecting a form in 2020, you will receive it in 2022; 2021 in 2023). Please complete and return the forms promptly to avoid suspension of benefits.

Contact Us by Fax

You may send inquiries and forms to us by fax at 833-719-0632.

Contact Us by Mail

If you are not receiving benefits and would like to inquire about benefits eligibility, you may contact your servicing Field Office or Federal Benefits unit or the following contact address (please be sure to include your Social Security Number):

Social Security Administration
Office of Earnings & International Operations
P.O. Box 17775
Baltimore, Maryland  21235-7775

If you or any family member are already receiving Social Security benefits and you would like to report a change in status, such as, a death, marriage or divorce, you may use the following contact address (please be sure to include your Social Security Number):

Social Security Administration
Office of Earnings & International Operations
P.O. Box 17769
Baltimore, Maryland  21235-7769

Contact Us by Phone

You may also contact us by phone if you speak English.  You can call our office 410-965-0160.  You will need to pay for the call because we do not currently have a toll-free service for calls from outside the U.S.  If you call, please do so between 9:00am and 4:00pm Eastern U.S time. 

Online Services

You Can Apply Online For:

Other Services:

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, djeetyet said:

Thanks for the update. I think it'd be a good idea if folks can post when they receive their notices so others have an idea as to when they may be arriving. Thanks

I will let everybody know when I get mine. Already late from normal years since I have gotten itit  in early June before.

When I do get it I think I will spend some more none and send it by express mail after the fiasco I had in back in 2019. Sent it registered mail on June 7th but they did not open and receive it until September and got the late notice one in October.

• Thanks 1