Covid-19: "Hi-So" face shields on their own are pointless, says leading Thai public health official

webfact

Directly copy/paste from the WHO:

"f you are healthy, you only need to wear a mask if you are taking care of a person with COVID-19."

... makes me wonder why everybody is shouting out about a Pandemic that is only

a Pandemic because the WHO said so [the numbers clearly show it is not a Pandemic !]

but nobody follows their advice ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, keith101 said:

You obviously haven't watched anything on how the droplets travel from the mouth when talking /sneezing or coughing , they travel straight out for some distance and if your wearing a face shield they will hit and drop straight down as has been shown in tests .

What about the droplets that are suspended in the air? 

How Coronavirus Spreads through the Air: What We Know So Far https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-coronavirus-spreads-through-the-air-what-we-know-so-far1/

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, keith101 said:

You obviously haven't watched anything on how the droplets travel from the mouth when talking /sneezing or coughing , they travel straight out for some distance and if your wearing a face shield they will hit and drop straight down as has been shown in tests .

They will also be moved around randomly by air currents which means that they can be blown in any direction after their initial sneeze/cough velocity has stopped, and that includes up face shields and noses.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

Yeah, only 6,273,402 confirmed, 375,683 dead in nearly all countries. 

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I guess it'll have to be in the billions or trillions to be a legit pandemic.

"375,683 dead in nearly all countries".

Nowhere near all of those have been confirmed to have been caused specifically by Covid_19.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

Dr Fauci has said on tv they are acceptable as a replacement for a face mask as long as they go below the chin and back to just in front of the ears and this a man who knows what he is talking about .

He may have said they were "acceptable" but in what context? Did he say they were preferable or recommended?

In Singapore, for instance, that say only that:

In some situations where the wearing of masks may not be practical, face shields may be worn. They must be worn properly so that a face shield covers the entire face, from the forehead to below the chin, wrapping around the sides of the face.

Groups that can wear a face shield:

• Children twelve years and below, who may have difficulty wearing and keeping face masks on for a prolonged period of time;
  • Persons with health conditions that may result in breathing or other medical difficulties when a mask is worn for a prolonged period of time; and
  • Persons who are speaking to a group in a classroom or lecture-style setting, where they largely remain at the spot from which they are speaking, and are able to maintain a safe distance away from any other persons.

•  
Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

Fun fact
People here like to wear these to try and protect them from a virus, but when they are trimming/cutting grass they don't bother. 
Seems like going blind is less of and issue than catching a virus... 

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Then why are health workers in US and UK wearing them.

they can stop infections that can enter via the eyes,but what

do I know,compared to Thai health spokesman.

regards Worgeordie

I think there's a difference between hospital personnel and the general public...

At hospitals, they're wearing face shields AND masks, with the face shields protecting against direct exposure from potentially infected people when they're dealing with them close up.

For the general public, the risk is going to be greater from general respiratory spread, and the face shield alone does nothing to protect against that.  I think that's the point the Thai MoPH person was making.

33 minutes ago, keith101 said:

Exactly. Face shields are excellent for stopping infected people from ejecting the virus far outwards. They also protect the eyes from infection by other people. They are extremely useful, in fact, if you think about the means of transmission of the virus. Ignore this foolish official.

• Like 2

When authoritative statements like "can" and "can't", or similar, are used they can only be substantiated with evidence. There's no evidence to the claims presented here so the claims are invalid. They're opinions.

21 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

650.000 people die on the FLU every year, check CDC

so, yes, no pandemic

Flu is a pandemic. Has been for a long time. H1N1 is still going on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic

A pandemic (from Greek πᾶν, pan, "all" and δῆμος, demos, "people") is an epidemic of an infectious disease that has spread across a large region, for instance multiple continents or worldwide, affecting a substantial number of people. 

I think you're fishing for "apocalypse".

Edited by DrTuner

We've made some nice carbon hi-so face shields to trump any others out there. None of that common plastic <deleted>. Sends out a statement that I'm sporty, modern, rich and hi-so  ????

faceshield1.JPG

faceshield2.JPG

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Fun fact
People here like to wear these to try and protect them from a virus, but when they are trimming/cutting grass they don't bother. 

Don't wear one when they are welding just a pair of Chinese Ray-Ban copies

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He reiterated that people should continue to wear surgical masks or cloth masks whenever they go out to stop the spread of the coronavirus. 

The holes in those masks look like the Grand Canyon to the typical virus.
Just about as much protection as those face shield.  All this PPE is simply applied placebo.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bkkthebest said:

i disagree. There is a point. The idea of wearing the HI-SO face shield is to show others that you are Hi-So.

It's the Red License Plate of face masks!  ????

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, pixelaoffy said:

The noun ' pointless ' could be used to describe alot of the current measures in Thailand

Yes but it's the appearance that counts.

Actually I think the full-guard ensemble is actually a Marxist plot, to get rid of as many self-appointed hi-sos as possible. Good thing too.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He said this offered no protection at all and he strongly advised against it.

No one in the world knows enough about this virus. We are told that cloth masks and surgical masks don't do enough to stop the particles, only the N95 masks properly filter everything, but this doctor says wearing cloth or surgical masks is fine; we are told that transmission can also be through the eyes, but the doctor says a face shield doesn't help at all, only a mask - which he overlooks cause it does not protect the eyes. It seems like to make things smoother, just do what the government says on that day, cause like everywhere in the world, people still don't know enough.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

said it a few times these last couple of weeks 

told I was talking rubbish by a few very smart people on TVF

Me too ... I was also called out

A lot of experts saying a lot of things with no proof or facts .How about backing up all these comical regulation and rules with some research.? Just reading the daily list of expert opinions is a total head spin .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, smedly said:

said it a few times these last couple of weeks 

told I was talking rubbish by a few very smart people on TVF

You were not talking rubbish at all. Aerosols escape from under this shield. The statement of this Thai doctor is exactly what doctors worldwide say. You need a mask as well. Singapore school kids wear shield and mask.

1 hour ago, Kaopad999 said:

Fun fact

I bet you have an impressive wardrobe of yellow vests The richer, "hiso" folk probably

don't do a lot of strumming or other manual labour, so not really an issue.