electronic control to enter elevators in condominium

The Committee of our Condominium has introduced electronic control (with a token) to use the elevators.

A few co-owners are furious that this way they can only go to their own floor 

I thought this was the way it is already done in many other condominiums and office buildings : correct?

Gestapo tactics in condos, living by dictate and rules set by others, committee living that just makes living difficult, nothing new in this.  And on top of all that, many of them are like rabbit hutches, or prison cells. Condos are in my view, a horrible way to live.  Give me a house any day. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

Why?

A resident can have access to their own floor and common spaces. Why do they need access to other floors?

No different to , say, a company with offices on the 8th floor. Their employees cannot access the 10th floor. they have no need. 

Except of course that all people can use the stairs as a fire escape. 

you have no right to all parts of the structure that supports where you live?  Seems very odd to me. Noisy neighbour upstairs that you can't contact?  Just one example where upper floor access may be needed. I guess you call the building security people, another minus in my book. Can't be arsed to think of any more, but there must be lots.  Not for me I am afraid. 

• Sad 1

OP, yes it is very common. I have lived in 3-4 blocks, including current, with a key card for building/lift access etc. Its great for security, stopping illegal airBNB, people wandering in to use pool/gym etc. I dont even lock my condo door that often, as I know nobody can be there without an access card. The only drama is getting a pizza delivered as you have to go downstairs.

Edited by Peterw42

20 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Gestapo tactics in condos, living by dictate and rules set by others, committee living that just makes living difficult, nothing new in this.  And on top of all that, many of them are like rabbit hutches, or prison cells. Condos are in my view, a horrible way to live.  Give me a house any day. 

My goodness : you do not know what you write about :  in our condo only 1/3 of the co-owners pay regularly common fees and this electronic elevator control is a way to force the freeloaders to pay or to use the staircase (there is not enough money to pay a lawyer to bring them all to court if they have more than 6 months delay - some have years of delay)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

you have no right to all parts of the structure that supports where you live?  Seems very odd to me. Noisy neighbour upstairs that you can't contact?  Just one example where upper floor access may be needed. I guess you call the building security people, another minus in my book. Can't be arsed to think of any more, but there must be lots.  Not for me I am afraid. 

if you have noisy neighbour upstairs you can still walk one floor using the staircase...but better inform Juristic Person Manager of Building Manager because in this country many have guns

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

It's just a security measure, I have the same in my condo.

Each to his own, I love condo living. Sold my house in Australia because I had had enough of catching up on maintenance every time I went back.

You may want to think of this. You very rarely hear of thefts or other crimes in a condo. Suicides from high floors, yes.

The reason for that is, apart from the initial security level, a criminal has no idea what is waiting for him behind a condo door.

On the other hand, a house can be under surveillance for days or weeks to establish occupant movements, and points of entry and egress. Unless one turns a house into Fort Knox, easier pickings.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

My goodness : you do not know what you write about :  in our condo only 1/3 of the co-owners pay regularly common fees and this electronic elevator control is a way to force the freeloaders to pay or to use the staircase (there is not enough money to pay a lawyer to bring them all to court if they have more than 6 months delay - some have years of delay)

read what you are writing, 'co owners', 'freeloaders', 'bring them to court', 'control'.  This is where you live for goodness sake.  I have none of those people or those  issues in a house. 

read what you are writing, 'co owners', 'freeloaders', 'bring them to court', 'control'.  This is where you live for goodness sake.  I have none of those people or those  issues in a house. 

Similarly, now that I have discovered townhouse living in BKK, I could never go back to a condo.

I think it's strange that some people don't like this.

Anybody who lives in the building is able to go to all the units he/she owns without any trouble.

And anybody else is not able to go there. Perfect.

In "my" building we have only a key-card system before the lifts. Most people have their key-cards which guarantees easy access. But others want to walk in without key-card. Why should they be able to go in?

In the past we had some things stolen in the building. More security like that makes it more difficult for the criminals - and not difficult for the people who live there.

And if you want to see someone from another floor then ask that person to give you access. No problem.

may-be you do not know what GESTAPO really means  : I bought an apartment in this condominium in 1992 and because lack of funds ....it looks now as some residential buildings in much less developed countries than Thailand

In my condo we can only get into the lift lobby with access control. But then again its private lift lobby to each unit.... Why would you care or want to go to other floors other than than facility floor.

I am sure if someone REALLY REALLY wants to go to other residential floors and walk around the corridors they can open the key card for them.

On 6/2/2020 at 7:43 PM, fvw53 said:

may-be you do not know what GESTAPO really means  : I bought an apartment in this condominium in 1992 and because lack of funds ....it looks now as some residential buildings in much less developed countries than Thailand

Actually the GESTAPO would have shot the people who weren't maintaining the condominiums records and physical condition,  It's western council workers your thinking of.  

Edited by Heppinger

• 1 month later...