Bangkok Bank ATM Charged Account Yet No Money Was Provided

Last Friday I tried to take out 10000 THB from an ATM on the first floor of the Central Plaza Shopping Center in Udonthani and after selecting the amount the machine after about 5 minutes gave a message informing that there had been a time out, and my Card was then released yet no money came out.

I then went to another Bangkok Bank ATM on the third floor and took out 10000 THB with no problems.

After this I noticed that my Bangkok Bank account had been charged for both transactions and went to Bangkok Bank to complain. In the Bank they called Head Office and I was provided with an Investigation reference and stated that this would be looked into on Monday.

Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience with ATM withdrawals and what was the outcome.

Many thanks in advance.

I have had this happen twice. Once in Bangkok and once in Hanoi, Vietnam. 

In Vietnam I was refunded the money within a day of reporting it to my UK bank (used UK ATM card).

In Bangkok I used my Bangkok Bank card. I reported the issue to them by email.  They launched an 'investigation' and after about two weeks I received a refund.

1 hour ago, vibration said:

Just wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience with ATM withdrawals and what was the outcome.

Almost all of us that use BKB ATMS.

Their system was down last month, and been debiting money without paying ever since, always communication error.

Contact your bank, they put the money back usually within a week.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vibration said:

I called Bangkok Bank about 15.15 and they informed me that I would receive an SMS after 18.30 today with the results of the Investigation

That 1830 time reference makes it sound like they'd be sending a tech to hand-audited the machine and verify the cash-on-hand (bank note storage cassettes).

Glad to hear it's all sorted in your favor.

Though, next time, try not to add too much "English" when pressing that option on the machine. 

• Thanks 1

Soi bukao  in 2014.I tried to withdraw 5,000k bht .It declined the transaction so I tried again thinking I might of put in the wrong pin.Same thing happen.I checked the dispense outlet making sure there was no money.I went to another atm and got money . Two days later I looked at my account and it showed 3 withdrawals.I went and complained to bkk bank they said call your states bank .B of A said go to the atm bank.Bkk bank filed a investigation .I told them to have a English rep call me back they said it would take a month. In two weeks I started to get calls from women speaking in Thai,thinking they were wrong numbers. After a few days,BofA couldn’t investigate  any transaction out side of the states . After a month I called Bkk bank they said they tried to call me many times lol.Long story short they said they couldn’t find transactions coming from that machine..so I lost out on 10k..The lesson I learned is to go to a bank with a atm outside during banking hours

• Sad 1

I had this happen a number of years ago but it was with Aeon. I was using a foreign card so I had to make he report directly with my bank back home. I was immediately replace pending investigation about two weeks later I got a message from my bank that Aeon had confirmed I was shorted after an audit was done on the machine.

This also happened with a machine that I used with Bangkok Bank, I withdrew 15,000 baht as always I count but this time I was shorted 2000 baht. I went into the bank and they told me file with my credit card bank that issue the card did it after two weeks my bank contacted me and told me Bangkok Bank refuse the request that I got my full 15,000 baht that was the last time I used Bangkok Bank. Also closed my saving account.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, vibration said:

First very many thanks to all for great input.

I called Bangkok Bank about 15.15 and they informed me that I would receive an SMS after 18.30 today with the results of the Investigation however approximately 30 minutes ago I received an SMS from "AUTO System" confirming that the 10000 THB had been refunded.

All of this caused caused a lot of stress however thank God it had a happy ending.

When funds transfers or ATM withdrawals end-up debiting your acct but the money does not actually transfer/dispense, once you notify Bangkok Bank they will begin an investigation and normally say the funds will be credited back to you account by 7pm next business day if they confirm the  transfer/ATM transaction didn't actually complete.  And by investigation I don't mean sending out the FBI to investigate the issue, I just mean they utilize their normal procedures to determine what happened as they have all kinds of double checks to determine how much at ATM "really" disbursed, did an ibanking transfer actually complete properly, etc.

About two years ago when doing an ibanking transfer to another Thai bank for over Bt10K the transfer errored at the very last step but the money was debited from my acct.  I called Bangkok Bank....they told me they would investigate (i.e., work the problem) and the funds should be credited back to my acct by 7pm next business day once they confirm the money really didn't get transferred.  And sure enough, next business day around 5:30pm the funds were credited back to my acct.

• Thanks 1

I haven't had this happen years. But when I first got here, if I tried to get money using my USA ATM card on or near Thai payday it would frequently return my card + an ATM slip. But no money. When we went into the bank, we were told that we would have the money returned to my USA bank in 1 week. The money was returned as promised, but the bank had a 1 week interest free loan!  Finally, a nice banker explained that the bank wanted to save the currency in the machine for their Thai customers. These days if we try to withdraw from USA accounts on or around the 1st of month, it just returns the card with various phony error messages. Never had a problem with a Thai bank account.

• Thanks 1