London's statues from 'bygone' imperial past to be reviewed, mayor says

snoop1130

6 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Just shows how misinformed people are..."tried to remove that statue for centuries"....it was only erected 125 years ago...god help us

History often takes a bit of a battering on TVF, as does science, logic and all things, medical.  I often wonder where some people received their education, or even if they got one at all.  

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

The fact you consider this to beavalid argument just shows how ill informed people can be and how bad they are at critical thinking.

so you believe the Indian nationalists who claim the Raj stole 40 trillion dollars from India? If the Raj had not been there the French would have been.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Confused 1

As already mentioned on here you cant rewrite History

But you can learn from it

I cant understand  what happened over 200 years ago people are now protesting about if its affecting them personally 

Only reading about United Kingdom and the USA protests 

What about Portugal,  Spain Belgium the Dutch ect 

Did they not do the same

Stick a plague on the statues explaining why these guys made their money

1 hour ago, transam said:

Hard to find a country that doesn't have a past that's different to GB, tell me where you come from, so I can swot up......????

I reckon many countries would still be in the dark ages if it wasn't for the adventurous Europeans, but of course you think different, weeeell, you think different on most subjects...????

As I said yesterday, the teaching of Britain’s  Colonial history is abysmally poor. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Yes you might find it was not as bad as the anti Raj propaganda like to make out. The richest man in the world had nothing stolen or looted by the Brits and only lost his lands to the independent india in 1948

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mir_Osman_Ali_Khan

Oh so that excuses a couple of centuries of British abuses.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

No she did not, the slave trade ended in the British empire in 1808, after which Royal Navy ships fought against it and slavery in the empire in 1833, she became Queen in 1837.

Yeah but her parents  were so all of them must  go???? and we  must rename england , what i dont know maybe "colonial bastards from the past....land"

46 minutes ago, transam said:

Again, tell me your squeaky clean country...Because I can't think of one and would like to know if I am wrong...Go for it, I mean you take every opportunity to slag off GB.

Despite claiming to have studied there, which presumably included some sort of financial inducement from his beloved ???????? not readily available to the very people he continually slags off.

Edited by evadgib

20 minutes ago, evadgib said:

As a kid I marvelled when significant Roman artifacts inc a villa, mosaics, bones, pottery and a chest full of swords were unearthed in fields within walking distance of my home as I stood and watched. Further afield (but still within walking distance) treasures from different era(s) have been found in an around the same area, having been hidden from the likes of marauding Vikings, Normans etc who were doing to the ???????????????????????????? exactly the sort of behaviour you continually virtue-signal about in your insatiable quest to slag off the ????????.

+

Yes lots of wonderful history in England.

Lay off the accusation of ‘virtue signaling’ it looks too much like baiting and detracts from the rest of your post.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bodga said:

Yeah but her parents  were so all of them must  go???? and we  must rename england , what i dont know maybe "colonial bastards from the past....land"

What would this be in English?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

We can learn from past history why destroy it?

but we never seem to do so.  If we had learnt from history, then the Balkan War would not have happened, we would not have invaded Afghanistan, Vietnam would not have been the balls up it was.  As the wise man said: "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Utter mindless idiots .. Churchill for his faults was the one who stood up to the architect of the greatest mass extermination in history of those considered racially inferior and instigator of the most savage war man has ever waged on itself .. 

Had Churchill not stood up to Nazism with all of Western Europe under its yoke it would have been a very different world for those not fitting the Nazi template .. I'd guess some of the moron's involved in desecrating his statute were/are too stupid to consider that .. 

Churchill was also responsible for genocides in other countries under the old British Empire.

• Like 1