Open doors to foreign businesspeople, industry panel advises

webfact

Open doors to foreign businesspeople, industry panel advises

By The Nation

800_d3705ef698c4ff1.jpg?v=1591795699

In a move to help reboot the economy, the Joint Standing Committee on Commerce, Industry and Banking will propose that foreign businesspeople be allowed to enter Thailand.

Kalin Sarasin, president of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said this can be done if the government puts in place strict measures to contain the spread of Covid-19, such as ensuring every foreign visitor is tested for the virus 48 hours before landing on Thai soil.

“They can be tested again upon arrival and required to go into self-isolation for 14 days,” he said. “These foreign arrivals will also be prohibited from using public transport.”

Kalin, who also oversees the Board of Trade, says he expects businesspeople from Japan, South Korea and Taiwan to be given an opportunity to enter the country first.

“We also advise the government to let tourists from non-risky countries like Taiwan, Vietnam and China to land in Thailand provided they undergo Covid-19 preventive measures as well,” he said.

Meanwhile, Supant Mongkolsuthree, chair of the Federation of Thai Industries, said a strengthening baht will not have an impact on the business sector because it is in line with regional currencies.

On Wednesday (June 10), the baht closed at Bt31.15 against the dollar which was partly put down to foreign investors making net buys of Bt859.49 million in the stock market and Bt3.04 billion in the bonds market.

Separately, the joint standing committee is also advising the government to meet and listen to the public sector’s proposals on economic recovery.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389410

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-11

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

So if your plane leaves North America on a Sunday night, how will you get your testing done 48 hours before departure?

The onus is on you to have the testing done...change the flight time

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

So if your plane leaves North America on a Sunday night, how will you get your testing done 48 hours before departure?

Change your departure date if you really want to come.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sungod said:

Change your departure date if you really want to come.

Hopefully you can make an arrangement to get tested in those 48 hours before your plane leaves. First you got to book a ticket and then you have to get lucky that you can get tested in the time frame. 4 days would be easier. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Hopefully you can make an arrangement to get tested in those 48 hours before your plane leaves. First you got to book a ticket and then you have to get lucky that you can get tested in the time frame. 4 days would be easier. 

First we need an airplane to fly! ????

• Like 2

Not much they can do really given the circumstances. In many ways they are victims of their own success in controlling the spread of the virus.

Foreign arrivals now make up 100% of COVID19 cases in Thailand, so there's every concern allowing international arrivals will spark a second wave, and with the situation so firmly under control, why would they risk it at the moment? 

If you think that they are just going to suddenly open up and let foreigners in and have the cases spike to even a dozen new local cases per day, when there's currently zero local transmission, well... you don't know how Thais think.

Going to work, holiday or to visit relatives in the middle of a global pandemic seems like an even more stupid decision I'm sure to those foreigners stuck outside the country.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Obviously you can but it will cost you an arm and a leg. So they will let people travel together by air but you cannot use public transport when you arrive. Testing you when you arrive will cost money aand us no use. Covid doesnt show for a minimum of 5 days and intelligent people know this. So why jump from one lockdown to another  when you can discuss business using a number of platforms. No sense to this at all

Just now, crazykopite said:

With those restrictions no visitors will be coming to Amazing Thailand they will go to neighbouring countries who I’m sure will not place such ridicules rules I can see the Thai economy crashing there are millions out of work major factories closing down and relocating to other countries the good times are coming to an end the holiday islands are decimated Thai airways nearly broke and yet we see idiots coming up with crazy ideas such as hotel/ holiday vouchers 

Cambodia announced yesterday a number of strict rules and requirements to control foreign arrivals. 

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50732293/cambodia-requires-foreigners-to-pay-for-covid-19-test-quarantine-treatment-services/

No one will risk travelling there at the moment as you'll be quarantined even if you test negative if you have travelled on the same flight as an infected person, and the costs will get expensive, of that have no doubts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cali farong said:

I haven’t seen anything mentioned about the$100,000 Covid 

insurance requirements.  Has that been canceled?

No it still stands the two requirements that the Thai government have introduced are impossible to get in the UK as my wife has spent hours researching insurance sites and medical certification she has been stuck in the U.K. since all flights to Thailand were stopped she has just found out her July flight has now been cancelled . If she cannot get back before September I will lock my property up and head back to the U.K. life is more important than a block of concrete

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Kalin Sarasin, president of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, said this can be done if the government puts in place strict measures to contain the spread of Covid-19, such as ensuring every foreign visitor is tested for the virus 48 hours before landing on Thai soil.

Video conferencing will take the place of meetings, "jollies" are off the cards for a few more months until airlines are up and running properly.

Not sure how the will control expo's, ?

Business travel will probably recover slower than leisure travel. Companies are watching expenses and don't want to assume liability for an employee getting sick.

In addition, there are a few suggestions that show that politicians seldom understand the areas they make decisions about. 

A business traveler has to get tested 2 days before the trip AND after arrival. One test is enough...

What business can anyone conduct,  if they have to quarantine for 14 days.. they also took 2 tests already,  why add quarantine on top? most business trips don't last that long to begin with and a company won't send an employee for 3 weeks to conduct 1 week of business 

Travelers can't use public transport.. no taxi, BTS etc? Every business person needs to rent a car or motorcycle?

This will really have to be revised or nobody will come

I believe there is logic behind the staging of arrival categories. They need to roll out the best vetting system that they can and it will require practice before full flights arrive. Many here have complained of arrival process delays before corona. Imagine now with extra vetting and a new system.

i do however make a plea to the authorities to add non Thais with strong ties to Thailand to the urgent priority list.

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Perfectly logical  - I hope to see Tests become readily available for those with plans to travel. Currently many countries are only offering Covid-19 tests to key workers. I hope to see this change as more test become available and tests become reliable. 

Tested again upon arrival, again, perfectly logical.

14 day self isolation, again not as severe as government isolation, tolerable for the near future, but not for those who want a two week vacation or travel in and out regularly for work. 

However, this is about ‘reviving the economy’, what business traveler is going to come to Thailand and self isolate for 14 days so he can have meeting?

The only people who will self isolate are those returning to their homes and to their families, which under the current climate ought to involve self isolation anyway (to protect family).

When I arrived in the UK (on a repatriation flight from the UAE as I couldn’t get back to Thailand) I self isolated for 14 days, at the time, I thought that was what we were meant to do, and also what I thought I ought to do to protect family in the UK. It only actually became regulation this week !!

I am unable to get back to Thailand (currently in the UK) and I hate the idea of not being able to get back. 

If we could ’take a test before travelling’ and ’take another test on arrival’ then there is no need for the secular travel / tourism arrangements. But, I also get it - the Tourism industry needs revival and Thailand doesn’t want to risk further outbreaks, those countries which have higher numbers of Covid-19 present higher risk. 

What does irk is that this virus broke out in China, possibly as early as August (according to latest reports), yet China did nothing until late December. The world is paying the price while China seems once again free to travel !

Additionally: I thought this report was somewhat xenophobic, however, when reading with balance and without the chip on my shoulder that I can’t get home to my Wife and Son I realise that the suggestions make sense. 

The above comments are of course avoiding the debate on whether a lockdown is necessary at all now we have a truer handle in the impact of Covid-19. 

Measures to exclude visitors based on their citizenship discriminate against healthy people and don't make sense.

A healthy Brit would be turned away and a sick Chinese or Japanese or Australian could enter?  The fact that some countries have higher cases doesn't mean anything... even in the USA there are fewer than one tenth of one percent (0.001% of total) population infected

The only way to ensure a common sense approach is to test on arrival. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

The only arrivals coming into Thailand are Thai citizens and that’s been the case for months so how can you claim that it’s Foreign travellers bringing in the virus when there not allowed in . 

Foreign arrivals, not foreigners. You need to work on your comprehension skills.

Arrivals from foreign countries now make up 100% of COVID-19 cases. There has not been a report of local transmission in days.

Several foreigners that have work permits have arrived back too, so it is not only Thais as you incorrectly assume. See Richard Barrow's media feeds for details. 

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

A correction was long overdue is this heavily overbuilt market, well before Covid came along. And that now represents a reset for many, many industries. On top of that, nobody honestly knows what the recovery will look like, though many claim to have answers. This is unchartered territory. This is the first time in recorded history that major economies have experimented with absolute insanity, by deliberately shutting down their economies. 

The "Malaysia My Second Home" program in Thailand's Southeast Asian neighbor allows foreigners a 10-year renewable residence visa, provided that they put in a minimum fixed deposit of 150,000 ringgit ($35,170) with a local bank. In October, Malaysia reduced the threshold for foreigners to buy property to 600,000 ringgit, from 1 million ringgit, hoping to ease a supply glut.

So, if Thailand is serious, time to get rid of the protectionist sluggards, and replace them with progressive and imaginative minds, for a change. Time to start offering ex-pats visa incentives (such as two to five years visas, at no charge, for people who invest in property here), and time to start offering companies tax holidays, and major reasons to come here. In addition lower the absolutely abusive luxury import taxes, and taxes on wine. The days of "coasting on your laurels" are over guys. Thailand is infinitely less attractive to the world than it used to be. And you are doing very little to improve your nation. If anything, you are moving backwards, while the baht starts to appreciate again, and most of your neighbors are trying harder, and are infinitely more intelligent, talented, and creative than you are. And some of the neighbors actually implement a system based on merit, for the government appointments. What a concept! Merit attracts talent. Who would have thought?

We are not talking about rocket science here. We are talking about some easy, and sensible things to do to keep yourself in the market. 

Malaysia was colonised, Thailand (arguably) never was.

Big difference in mindset as regards to what foreigners are allowed to do and how they can remain. 

However, the incentives to set up a business in Thailand are much more appealing than Malaysia outwith the entertainment and tourism sectors, IMHO of course.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

“We also advise the government to let tourists from non-risky countries like Taiwan, Vietnam and China to land in Thailand provided they undergo Covid-19 preventive measures as well,” he said.

China is considered non-risky countries ?  Where did the virus come from ?  How did Europe and the rest of the world catch the virus ?

The Thai dictionary does not have a translation of Wuhan City ?

• Like 2