Aircraft Alert In Chiang Mai

george

Aircraft alert in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- A passenger jet yesterday made an emergency stop when a tyre burst seconds before take-off at Chiang Mai Airport.

The incident prompted hectic rescue and safety operations and delays to many flights, but there were no casualties.

The plane, a 10-seater model chartered from an American company, had two foreign pilots but no passengers. It flew from Jakarta and made a fuel stop in Chiang Mai en route to Hong Kong.

The incident happened at 2.30pm. It took airport authorities one hour to launch mandatory rescue and safety operations and rearrange arrival schedules, causing many flight delays. The airport's operations returned to normal five hours later.

The aircraft belongs to John Minns Aviation Service and bears the serial number K488YY, according to airport director Suthara Huangsuwan, who did not specify the type of aircraft or whether it sustained any damage.

An investigation into the incident has been launched.

-- The Nation 2007-04-19

I was wondering why there seemed to be almost no air traffic late afternoon/evening- was going to PM Dustoff (who lives near airport) to see if they were taking off to south, due to winds, etc. I'm assuming the aircraft ended up on the ground, blocking a runway, from your account. Hope everyone got out OK...

Aircraft breaks down and obstructs Chiang Mai Airport runway

A Thai Airways flight was forced to abort its landing at Chiang Mai airport due to a an obstruction on the runway.

The President of Thai Airways, Flight Officer Apinan Sumanaseranee (อภินันทน์ สุมนะเศรณี), reported that a small aircraft belonging to the John Mue (จอนห์มิว) Aviation Service Company on layover in Chiang Mai Airport developed wheel complications, causing it to obstruct the airport's runway. International and domestic flights enroute to Chiang Mai airport were compelled to divert to other airports.

Mr. Apinan said that Thai Airways flight TG 110 departing from Suvarnabhumi to Chiang Mai and Thai Airways flight TG 1116 departing from Don Muang to Chiang Mai were both forced to return to their original destination.

Chiang Mai Airport's runway remained closed from 13:35 to 16:25, and has since resumed normal operations. No injuries or loss of lives were reported in the incident.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 19 April 2007

I was wondering why there seemed to be almost no air traffic late afternoon/evening- was going to PM Dustoff (who lives near airport) to see if they were taking off to south, due to winds, etc. I'm assuming the aircraft ended up on the ground, blocking a runway, from your account. Hope everyone got out OK...

I happened to be standing outside in the early afternoon and heard what sounded like an emergency stop at the airport but didn't pay any more attention since there were no sounds of a crash.

After working at and out of airports for much of my life, I don't even hear the normal sounds of takeoff and landings but my ears automatically perk up when something doesn't sound right. I was on the ramp at the Maui HI airport when the Aloha jet that lost its roof came in for a landing and heard it coming from miles away on final approach. Even the other pilots in the hangars heard it and by the time the aircraft touched down we were all out there watching the event then racing down the taxiway to assist in the deplaning of passengers and crew..

A couple of days later word was around Maui that the docs at the hospital couldn't figure out why so many passengers had burns when there was no fire on board the damaged aircraft. I called the doctor in charge and explained about the temperature at 26,000 feet and the wind-chill effect of a 400 mph wind. Freezer burn is not something they are accustomed to treating in Hawaii...

It was not only Thai Airways Planes that got diverted

I was on a Nok Air flight from BKK and when we arrived at our destination, I could not belive we were landing in Don Muang!!. I thought it a bit strange that I did not recognise the landscape as we landed!!

I had my earphones in so I missed the announcement that we were turning round.

My original flight was at 1.15pm...I got back to CM eventually at 6pm......I was not that happy as I had just come from the UK and was tired to say the least.

Still, nobody died so thats the most important thing.