Can anyone identify this instrument? Thai guitar?

HerbyJFlash

Can anyone tell me what the instrument in this photo is ?

image.jpeg.a827d8590901904b17e48c3fdeeea5da.jpeg

My girlfriend has bought me it as a gift. She thinks it’s a Phin. However , the four strings say otherwise . The spacing of the threats also look pretty much like a guitar. 

I want to get my head around it before I’m put on the spot and asked to play it . From the video I’ve been sent , it’s sounds like a phin or seung. 

Thanks !

I will try and get better photos , my gf ordered it recently , bless her .

Think should arrive in next few days . Don’t have the heart to tell her it’s not a phin , still looks like could be a lot fun...

Does anyone know the tuning of a seung? 

Custom - Left-Handed Electric Phin Guitar - Traditional Thai ...Isarn Electric Phin 4 Strings 3 Track, Thai Lao Guitar Musical ...

I found two pics of a phin, where you can see it is different then "normal" phin.

There must be 2 kinds of phins. And one is with guitar like setting.

https://oman.desertcart.com/products/30873674-isarn-electric-phin-3-strings-3-track-thai-lao-guitar-musical-instrument-traditional-thai-musical-pin-16

However you see all other phins with another setting of the neck and with left out frets.

26 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Custom - Left-Handed Electric Phin Guitar - Traditional Thai ...Isarn Electric Phin 4 Strings 3 Track, Thai Lao Guitar Musical ...

I found two pics of a phin, where you can see it is different then "normal" phin.

There must be 2 kinds of phins. And one is with guitar like setting.

https://oman.desertcart.com/products/30873674-isarn-electric-phin-3-strings-3-track-thai-lao-guitar-musical-instrument-traditional-thai-musical-pin-16

However you see all other phins with another setting of the neck and with left out frets.

In the description it states "A type of northeastern lute". Mind you, it also says the instrument has three strings - do my eyes deceive me? The electric pick ups do not follow traditional Thai instrumentation either. Call them what they like, these are basically large electric ukuleles/4 string guitars. The fretting follows Western chromatic scales.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mrfill said:

In the description it states "A type of northeastern lute". Mind you, it also says the instrument has three strings - do my eyes deceive me? The electric pick ups do not follow traditional Thai instrumentation either. Call them what they like, these are basically large electric ukuleles/4 string guitars. The fretting follows Western chromatic scales.

I see in the link it says 3 string, however in the description and as wel as you can see on the pic: 

Isarn Electric Phin 4 Strings 3 Track, Thai Lao Guitar Musical Instrument, Traditional Thai Musical Pin 16

and it is called a phin. I can t make anything else of it.

I took the foto and enlarged it and i can see 4 strings, just checked. Although you can see 4 tuning mechanismes normally.

So what would it say then? If you dont have the special fret setting, it is a lute/mandoline/ukelele ?

If you do have the special fret setting, it is a phin?

1 hour ago, mrfill said:

Looks like a lute to me, although it could be a large Ukulele. Tune it like a Uke (G-C-E-A) and you're away...

Don't be tempted to use steel strings. Nylon only or it might collapse in half..

Then it's 'When I'm Cleaning Windows'   PML

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, VBF said:

Allow me...... love this guy's songs..sort of musical seaside postcards Sorry if :offtopic:

Just hope they don't decide to pull his statue down wherever it is. And Eric Morecambe, did he EVER tell a joke about a coloured person. 

• Like 1

Firstly, try plugging it into the mains and playing ‘Smoke on the Water’ to check if it’s a guitar. Although I would run with Kurtf’s and mrfill’s opinion and say a lute. Also blackcab is correct on the western fret positioning.

To check if it’s of Eastern origin sees if it sounds a semi-tone flat when you play it; you know, like a Thai girl singing.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Custom - Left-Handed Electric Phin Guitar - Traditional Thai ...Isarn Electric Phin 4 Strings 3 Track, Thai Lao Guitar Musical ....

These are both electric phins. There are at least a couple of street performers who can make these puppies roll! I'd love to book one of them for a party (if we ever have parties again, Prayuth!) if anyone knows how to reach them. Like early electric rock set to lukthung, lukkrueng, molam, plaeng pua chiwit. Absolutely awesome!

My very favourite thai instrument. Most are acoustic. They can belt out some great songs, too. Note the headpieces. They were ivory at the start.