I am not from the UK-I am British

bkk6060

1 hour ago, stereolab said:

1972 at basic Royal Air Force training, we are completing some paperwork, a brave soul asked the Instructor what nationality he should put down on the form, we had English, Welsh, Scots and some from the Commonwealth, the reply , which I recall vividly today, was that from today you are all BRITISH.

The subject never came up again, unlike on TVF.

Sprog.

1969 for me.

I've never heard of anyone being called or identifying as UK-ish. Agreed it is somewhat complicated. One can be British as that is what the passport is or English/Scottish/Welsh or Northern Irish depending on the sport. 6 Nations Rugby Irish team is made up of players from Eire and Northern Ireland as an example.

Just because others don't understand doesn't make anyone arrogant or pompous.

Our golfer could be from Falkland Isles, Cayman Isles, et al or any other British territories. 

• Like 2

British Isles = Britain, Ireland and all the smaller islands.

Great Britain = England, Scotland, Wales.

United Kingdom = Great Britain + Northern Ireland.

Passports are UK.

National identities can be quite strong within the four nations of the UK - different histories and past/current grievances etc.  NI has its own well-known issues. I have a Scottish friend who gets furious if anyone refers to him as British.

1 hour ago, petermik said:

My understanding of "being British" is someone born in the UK to parents who are the same :thumbsup:

and I,m proud to be one of them also :clap2:

They still have dark skin after 3 generations you know that right?  I'm just testing your intricate human sorting system.

• Like 1

I'm English / British , whatever.  I don't understand under what context he would say this. Surely he is both.  Anyway as long as you beat him at golf and he buys the beer afterwards I would forgive him. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HauptmannUK said:

British Isles = Britain, Ireland and all the smaller islands.

Great Britain = England, Scotland, Wales.

United Kingdom = Great Britain + Northern Ireland.

Passports are UK.

National identities can be quite strong within the four nations of the UK - different histories and past/current grievances etc.  NI has its own well-known issues. I have a Scottish friend who gets furious if anyone refers to him as British.

Does that then mean that someone from one of the 'smaller islands' is not from Great Britain?

If Gt Britain = E, S & W and UK = GB + NI, can a Manxman have a UK passport?

1 hour ago, petermik said:

My understanding of "being British" is someone born in the UK to parents who are the same :thumbsup:

and I,m proud to be one of them also :clap2:

No, my grand-daughter just born in Dubai to my son & his wife both English. She is British. Doesn't have to be born in UK/GB/

23 minutes ago, GarryP said:

My son is British. At least according to his passport, but is not from the UK or any of those other places you have listed. He went to the UK for his grandmother's funeral though. 

Sorry, yes, I should have said that he or his parents or even grandparents are classed as British.

24 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Our golfer could be from Falkland Isles, Cayman Isles, et al or any other British territories

Sure, but you'd more likely say you were a Falkland Islander or whatever

It's all part of the deal of 4 tribes living on 2 big lumps of rock in the North Atlantic .. In the good 'ole days you were British but as we started to wane and fall apart and the home nations wanted a bit more independence the British tag became less pop' and the other home nations referred to their own identities more .. this is reflected in  the increase in flags of each nation fluttering a lot more rather than the Jack alone which was an amalgam of 2 of the other nations .. which p*ssed the Welsh off abit .. There's also a bit of belief amongst yer true blue Britisher that some more recent swathes of the pop' whilst having the passport are not strictly British to King Arthur standard so are referred to as UK'ers .. the distinction must be drawn when engaging with a proper " fight them on the beaches " Briton or a shilly-shally import .. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

After I said this he corrected me and said: I am not from the UK, I am British.

Maybe I'm wrong dunno don't care either but his got it wrong in my book, when somebody says to me are you from UK to me I say yes, I am English. 

Born in England to English parents but never refer to myself as English.  I invariably say that I am British from the UK or 'Prathet suhar ratcha anajack' and, if queried by inquisitive locals, explain that the four countries or nations are part of one union. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I can remember an Englishman telling me to be born British is to win the lottery of life. I responded Australians are born without class distinctions.

"Class distinctions" were originally created by... history says it all!

????

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I can remember an Englishman telling me to be born British is to win the lottery of life. I responded Australians are born without class distinctions.

And there was me thinking Australians were rejects from across the water  ????

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So, is there some issue with this for future reference for me so I can be correct in my comments. 

He probably means he is British but meaning English. 

There is a lot of controversy, especially with brexit, over our nationality with nearly all of Scotland, Northern Ireland, and a considerable portion of Wales wishing to stay within Europe partly because of the subsidiaries they will lose on coming out

Both Northern Ireland and Wales are a cost to the British taxpayer while Scotland believe they can survive on their North Sea reserves and be better off (won't last for ever) 

If that is their choice, like britmantoo, they can **** off, have their independence and i am happy to call myself English

• Like 1