Can anyone tell me what the minimum age is for a Thai passport?

SakonTom

My child was born here in Thailand earlier this year.
One parent is Thai. 
I cannot accurately obtain this information from the website before making a journey to the passport office.
Does anyone definitely know what is the minimum age a child can obtain a Thai passport?

And has anyone recently applied for a Thai passport for their child.?

if so, what documents are required?

Technically, the child is eligible from the time of their birth. Practically, however, you need to receive the birth certificate and register the child in a blue book (which you are obliged to do within 15 days of the birth).

When you apply for the passport, take a small white sheet with you. This will help when the child's photo has to be taken. Mum can sit the baby on her lap, and you can hold the sheet behind baby and in between baby and mum (to provide a background).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Technically, the child is eligible from the time of their birth. Practically, however, you need to receive the birth certificate and register the child in a blue book (which you are obliged to do within 15 days of the birth).

When you apply for the passport, take a small white sheet with you. This will help when the child's photo has to be taken. Mum can sit the baby on her lap, and you can hold the sheet behind baby and in between baby and mum (to provide a background).

And then that photo/passport is used until he child is 5 years old.

You could in theory get your baby a passport the day after it's born if you wanted to, provided you have all the registration documents first, which normally takes a little more time, usually a couple of weeks. Babies are normally accepted for passage once they're 8 days old.

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

My Son had both his Thai and British Passport within a month of his birth. 

I got my sons thai passport when he was 3 months of age. If the mother is thai it is easier than if the father was thai and mother falung. You need birth certificate, passports and take all I’d you have. I had to take the boy to the Embassy in Wellington and no problems. I have since renewed at BK with his old passport, birth certificate and parents passports no problems and I registered my son in the blue book as soon as we returned to Thailand so if applying for in los register and birth certificate as previous poster said 

Edited by kiwikeith

Just remember BOTH parents have to turn up.

(OK - There is the option if one of the parents is abroad for that one to sign forms at the Thai embassy to get around the fact that they can't be present - and we've done that once - but it's a LOT easier to just have both parents present at the passport office.)

My Thai wife applied for their passports when they turned two years old.  We were in the USA at the time and went through one of the Thai consulates.  We had to appear once in person to sign documents and submit paperwork and photos.  After that everything was done by mail.  It was actually much easier to do in the USA then when my wife would renew her Thai passport in Bangkok.  Both boys are Thai citizens, maintain, Thai ID cards, and are listed in the Tabien Bahn.  This was about 30 years ago so don't know how useful this is now.  They did enter Thailand when they were aged 4 & 2 with no problem and had both their Thai and US passports.  

On 6/15/2020 at 7:04 AM, richard_smith237 said:

My Son had both his Thai and British Passport within a month of his birth. 

Same here. Was living in the UK. His first trip to Thailand was at 3 months old. 

9 minutes ago, samran said:

As soon as they are registered on the Tabieen Baan, they are good to go.

My son was born to his Thai mother in the UK. Got him Thai birth certificate and Thai passport at Thai embassy in London. On visiting and trying to add him to the family tabian baan in Nakhon Si Thammarat they said not possible as he's not 100% Thai. Couldn't have made it up! Not sure if they wanted a bung but wife and sis in law (who was village chief) were not having it. After 6 hours they relented and added him to the blue book. This was 2004.

• Like 1