UK says China and Russia trying to exploit coronavirus crisis

snoop1130

UK says China and Russia trying to exploit coronavirus crisis

2020-06-18T071534Z_2_LYNXMPEG5H0J9_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Britain's Secretary of State for Foreign affairs Dominic Raab leaves Downing Street in London, following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), London, Britain May 11, 2020. REUTERS/Toby Melville

LONDON (Reuters) - The United Kingdom said on Thursday that China, Russia and Iran were looking to exploit weaknesses shown by the coronavirus outbreak, amid suggestions Beijing had used the crisis to push through new security legislation for Hong Kong.

"Coronavirus and the challenges that it has created has created an opportunity or a perceived opportunity for various different state and non-state actors through cyber, through other means," Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab told Sky News.

"I think we've seen it in relation to Hong Kong, I think some people are arguing - it's difficult to glean whether it is true or not - that this is something, the national security legislation that is being put forward, is being done at a time when the world's attention has been on coronavirus," he said.

Governments across the world have been severely strained by the coronavirus outbreak, seen as the biggest public health crisis since the 1918 influenza outbreak. U.S. President Donald Trump has repeatedly blamed China for the outbreak.

China and Russia have repeatedly denied that they are seeking to exploit the West and say that many of the allegations indicate anti-Chinese or anti-Russia hysteria.

"We certainly know Russia is engaged systematically in misinformation and propaganda, through cyber and other ways. Others engage in the same too, China and Iran, but I don't think it had any outcome on the electoral process in the UK," Raab said.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-18

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The U.S. doesn't have to worry, because Putin and Xi LOVE Trump, just like he loves tyrants and dictators, being an aspiring one himself.

If you would read the OP you might notice that this was about the UK and quoting UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab. I know, just a small little letter, K vs S, but it’s a different country nevertheless.

Edited by yuyiinthesky
  • Thanks 1

The UK may bleat about HK but that is all that Boris will do (& the rest of the world)

Reluctantly I say that HK is now part of China. If the protests had remained peaceful which now 

have escalated into commercial protester hiring along with major pre planned property damage 

it was only a matter of time before Beijing lost patience. 

On ths one I do not think the virus had anything to do with the subsequent actions by China

9 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Didn’t Johnson put forward an argument that the UK could steal a march in other nations by not locking down?

OK, he got slapped down into a U-Turn but he nevertheless had intended to take advantage of other nations protecting their citizens over their economies.

It was not a proposed government policy. He may have said something tongue in cheek. 

I guess you're going to enjoy this thread. Another chance for some UK bashing. Pity you don't have the cajones to declare your own nationality...

2 hours ago, natway09 said:

The UK may bleat about HK but that is all that Boris will do (& the rest of the world)

Reluctantly I say that HK is now part of China. If the protests had remained peaceful which now 

have escalated into commercial protester hiring along with major pre planned property damage 

it was only a matter of time before Beijing lost patience. 

On ths one I do not think the virus had anything to do with the subsequent actions by China

Er, HK was part of China, and HK people are Chinese. All that changed was Britain secured a lease as part of the terms when ending the Opium war it instigated. Very useful naval base at the time Britannia ruled the waves.

You do not have to be a genius to recognise that China has been exploiting the the consequences of the virus since day one.

Which country has benefited the most from the pandemic?

Does the UN have the answer?

Hmm, I wonder why Trump is "repeatedly" blaming China for this virus. Could it be that it actually came from China? Repeatedly?

You know, if Russia wants to align its destiny with China, let it. To me that seems like a very lonely place to be, the only western country that hopefully can learn to speak Chinese. We all know what wonderful decisions Russia has made in the past.

Kind of dispels the myth of Russian collusion to get Trump elected, no? Seeing as that Putin seems to be far more interested in a China alliance--in a last and utterly desperate bid to resurrect Russia from its declining status as a global super-power.

Edited by OZinPattaya
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

You forget to mention China and Russia being responsible for poor weather conditions, locusts in Africa and BLM.

You forgot to mention the guy from Timbuktu who stubbed his toe getting out of the shower and blamed it all on Trump. Want to play the blame game?