Wounded, bruised protesters testify to decry New York City police violence

webfact

Wounded, bruised protesters testify to decry New York City police violence

By Jonathan Allen

2020-06-18T204922Z_1_LYNXMPEG5H2G2_RTROPTP_4_MINNEAPOLIS-POLICE-NEW-YORK.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Demonstrators hold signs on the Brooklyn Bridge during a protest against police brutality and racial inequality in the aftermath of the death in Minneapolis police custody of George Floyd during the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Brooklyn, New York, U.S., June 13, 2020. REUTERS/Caitlin Ochs/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Dana Kopel testified that New York City police kicked her in the jaw and bound her wrists so tightly with zipties her hands turned blue, leaving one hand numb with nerve damage weeks after she marched through the Bronx to protest the killing of George Floyd.

Jeffrey Castillo displayed cuts on his knees, bruises on his arms and a scar on his shoulder he said was caused after six officers knocked him off his bike while he chanted against police violence in Manhattan's West Village.

One by one, some of the protesters who have filled city streets since Floyd's death in Minneapolis police custody in May described being injured by New York Police Department officers at a virtual public hearing called by state Attorney General Letitia James, which spilled into a second day on Thursday.

Michael Sternfeld said police knocked him and other protesters to the ground while chasing them out of a Brooklyn park on June 3 for defying an 8 p.m curfew, scenes that were captured in cellphone videos.

"Shame on you, to all the NYPD, for acting like childish bullies, a gang of cowards with weapons and shields to hide behind and badges to justify their action," Sternfeld told the hearing, which was streamed online because of the novel coronavirus pandemic.

New York Mayor Bill De Blasio and Police Commissioner Dermot Shea have defended the NYPD's response to protesters as mostly proportionate, saying misconduct was limited to isolated cases that were being investigated.

Both have pointed to several nights of looting that marked some of the earlier protests, widespread property damage and instances of protesters hurling projectiles at police officers, injuring them.

In late May, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo said he was alarmed by "disturbing violent clashes" between NYPD officers and protesters, and appointed James to investigate and produce a report within 30 days.

The hearing was a chance for protesters to share their anger with investigators at their treatment by police during protests that have become daily occurrences in New York and dozens of other cities after Floyd's death.

James said she had received hundreds of written submissions from protesters and cellphone videos of armored police hitting people with batons and pepper spray.

Elected officials and civil rights groups also testified, the majority criticizing what they described as mostly unprovoked police aggression.

James said the NYPD and the Mayor's office declined multiple invitations to participate in the public hearing.

The NYPD said in a statement it received no "formal invitation" to join but was cooperating with the investigation. The mayor's office did not respond to a request for comment.

One officer, Vincent D'Andraia, was arrested and charged with assault after he was seen in videos calling Dounya Zayer, a protester in Brooklyn, a "bitch" before violently pushing her down, her head hitting the tarmac. He has pleaded not guilty.

Zayer testified that she suffered a seizure a few minutes later and protesters helped her get to a hospital while scores of officers walking by ignored her plight.

After her testimony, James appeared onscreen again to thank her, saying: "I just want you to know that the officers involved fortunately really don't reflect the vast majority of the officers of the NYPD."

Zayer replied with visible anger: "Thank you for your sympathy, but I don't want to hear that there are good cops when not a single good cop helped me and I'm afraid to even leave my house now."

(Reporting by Jonathan Allen; editing by Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-06-19

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Deli said:

Morons could have stayed home and would be fine

Damn right. Just do what you are told. Injustice my butt, that’s the way it is ...live with i5. That is the history of the world. Yea, except when citizens have there fill and rise up ... upsetting The the way things are,  isn’t it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, scorecard said:

So I guess you would advocate that white folks who have a record should be just shot down without proper process?

No not at all.  I still remember the hordes of whites   rioting and looting after a white person was wrongly shot by the police. 

I got my self a  plasma TV then and a nice pair of red  Nike shoes 

Edited by sirineou
  • Haha 1

I suppose I'm a racist for even wondering such a question, but here goes:

We keep hearing about how many black men police kill. Why is no one asking how many black men kill police?

And even zooming further out, what about the number of crimes thugs commit in general anway? Hey, it's noble to expect police to behave properly and be outraged when they don't. But how about some perspective? Whining about police brutality when in one weekend, dozens are killed and many more assaulted in cities like Chicago, whining about police brutality is like sticking your finger in a dyke leak as the entire dyke is crumbling.

The problem, of course, is liberalism. Liberals literally hate America. And destroying law and order and stoking hatred is one of the key tactics to achieving their outcome.

Edited by Crazy Alex
  • Like 1

Liberal cities with radical social policies, created by politically correct politicians that seem to want to let crime go unpunished during what started out peaceful that ended up with mayhem the likes of even MLK  ,couldn't and wouldn't comprehend while millions of scared  people watched on their tv's seeing cities burning,reminds me of the night of the broken glass.

Some on the left refuse to recolonize how dangerous  their silence is !

Go out and protest,during civil unrest, and mayhem on cities streets ,see how that works!

When the men and women who help protect these cities citizens and property (law enforcement) protest,who ya gonna call!

"Most of the looters and rioters arrested by the NYPD over the past several days are immediately released as a direct result of New York’s new bail-reform law, New York City police chief Terrence Monahan told the New York Post on Tuesday".

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/george-floyd-protests-arrested-looters-in-new-york-city-are-immediately-released-due-to-bail-reform-law/

Maybe these protesters were inspired by  cnn coumo show, when he said  "show me where it says protesters are suppose to be polite and peaceful ".

https://www.foxnews.com/media/cnns-chris-cuomo-blasted-for-suggesting-protesters-dont-have-to-be-peaceful

The city of NY put out curfews during those riots and protests,with hundreds being arrested for disobeying the curfew while cops being stabbed  in the head,hit in the head with skateboards,trash barrels ,slammed by cars intentionally ,spit on,bricks stacked up and stored strategically at city locations used as weapons,looters stealing,thugs torching businesses,cars and  buildings!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/02/new-york-city-looting-despite-curfew

Edited by riclag
  • Like 2