Fedex says debit cards are “Prohibited Item.” How can I get them sent to me?

17 hours ago, Sheryl said:

EMS should be fine. Not a courier, but traceable.

I always use EMS in Thailand no problem, I am sure Vietnam would have something similar 

JOHN

Edited by jcowle

16 hours ago, youbuyshirt said:

Actually EMS in the US is same as Priority Mail Express International, which has a tracking footnote that says Limitations may apply for certain destinations. Also the price is not really much cheaper than the big courier companies.

Last month I used USPS Priority Mail Express International to ship a debit card, bank checks, and a new drivers license. I labeled them as such. These items are not prohibited. The parcel arrived in 6 calendar days. The online tracking was flawless. You can establish an online account with USPS and set up your parcel to mail using your online account so all your relative in the US will have to do is print the QR code that comes with your order. When the staff person at the Post Office scans the QR code, your order will appear and they do the rest. You can also order envelops to use for the Priority Mail Express International. They are free and you can have them sent to your relative's address.  Very easy. Good luck....

2 hours ago, UPDEHSOI said:

In my humble opinion, you should NEVER put anything of value, money for example, in a birthday card Certain people in certain postal outlets have a bad habit of xraying such things as birthday cards and the like. Happened to my friend...TWICE. So his wife wrapped his card in a piece of tinfoil, put it in an envelope and sent it off to Thailand. Reached its destination, no problem Apparently the aluminum foil can block the xray, and make it look like there is nothing in the envelope, except the note. Dunno if I would want to try this myself. Maybe in a pinch.

That would make an envelope/package even more likely to get opened based on a X-ray image as it could make it appear something is trying to be hidden.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, youbuyshirt said:

Thanks for the great replies. Well I wanted to ship them Fedex via Parcel Monkey which is much much cheaper than using Fedex itself. But Parcel Monkey says that it’s prohibited by their partner, which is Fedex.

I just checked DHL and i don’t see the same prohibition against debit cards. But 3 times as expensive as Parcel Monkey.

I need to find a Parcel Monkey equivalent that uses DHL.

Sheryl, I heard that EMS does not provide tracking once it leaves the US. Maybe that’s wrong? I wouldn’t trust a non-tracked package in VN postal system.

Actually EMS in the US is same as Priority Mail Express International, which has a tracking footnote that says Limitations may apply for certain destinations. Also the price is not really much cheaper than the big courier companies.

Riclag, international priority mail only provides tracking until it leaves the US, with the exception of a handful of developed countries where it is tracked to destination. Vietnam is not among them. Once it entered the VN postal system, it would be a real crapshoot whether it got delivered.

Priority Mail Express International also does not seem to provide tracking to all destinations. It’s really hard to figure out the USPS’s incredibly confusing price lists and tracking policies.

If we are talking about new not activated debit/credit cards, there should be no problem. They are totally useless when not activated by the card holder. And why would you even mention there's a card in the envelope? There are other couriers than FedEx,by the way, and cheaper. 

Credit cards are NOT prohibited from Thailand.

If your credit cards arrived to Thailand, it is because they are supposed to be accepted and arrive there.

Credit cards ARE prohibited from importing to Vietnam.

https://crossborder.fedex.com/us/assets/prohibited-restricted/vietnam/index.shtml

I am going thru the identical issue re: getting my USA cc's into Vietnam.

Haven't tried yet.

I  may wait till I'm next in Thailand.

Edited by JimmyJ

You should try DHL, I shipped new debit cards to Thailand using this courier without a problem.

i did check with DHL THailand first and they said they can ship!

I enclose the email from DHL Thailand: 

Thank you for your e-mail sent to me regarding your inquiry.

Having checked regulations in Thailand, found no obligation available only the credit or debit card should be non-activated.

To ensure, please re-check with DHL UK for export regulations.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you and Best regards,

Sarochinee Ponian (Nui)
Customer Care Executive
Customer Service 

DHL Express International (Thailand) Ltd.

319 Chamchuri Square Building. Floor 22 and 23

Phayathai  Road, Khwaeng Pathumwan

Khet Pathumwan, Bangkok 10330

htttp://www.dhl.com

Phone +66(2) 345-5089
Fax    +66(2) 285-5549
E-mail [email protected]

19 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

I have one in Australia I want sent, but the post is somewhat of a disaster area at present

I had a package sent from Sydney arrived about a week ago took two weeks was sent Aus Post Express Mail or something but the sticker said International EMS and I was able to track.

A normal letter took 8 weeks

20 hours ago, phetphet said:

Tape them inside something like a book, in a small parcel with several unimportant documents /papers . But importantly, make sure you send it "Tracked and to be signed for."

You can do this through the Post Office, and will get a tracking number. The faster the service, the more expensive.

The Post Office tracking ends when the package leaves UK, so I have been told by P Office worker.

14 hours ago, Kerryd said:

One option with Planet Mail, if you have a number of parcels, is to sign up for their "Consolidation Plan" at $10 a month, have them consolidate your parcels into into one (or two) packages, ship them and then cancel the Plan.
Keep in mind that a consolidated package might be cheaper to send (depending on the size and weight) than a number of smaller packages, but if the total value is too high you might face additional Customs charges when it arrives in Thailand. Also, a larger, heavier package could cost more by itself. 

The Thai customs issue is why I've never done any consolidations in all my shipping of packages to Thailand. I specifically want to keep any package under the 1500b customs duty exemption in order to avoid risking the "you never know what you're gonna get" Thai customs assessments.

Whatever I might save in postage by consolidating I'm pretty sure would be likely offset by added customs and VAT charges if I started going over the 1500b customs exemption per package. Right now, via PE Airmail and staying under the 1500b valuation per package, I'm paying no customs or VAT, EVER!

PS - Although... the Thai government did announce some months back that they were planning to eliminate that 1500b small package customs exemptions.... And yet, in all the months since, I've continued to be able to take advantage of that, and still get the same customs exempt code marked on all my arriving small packages. So dunno if they changed their mind, or just things have been delayed because of the whole COVID mess.

A lot of posters here aren't paying attention!  The OP's question is about shipping bank cards to VIETNAM, NOT Thailand!

The issues he's encountering are ones relating to Vietnam regulations, and have nothing to do with shipping company policies in general or people's ability to receive such things here in Thailand.

Might have been better posted to the Vietnam subforum.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The Thai customs issue is why I've never done any consolidations in all my shipping of packages to Thailand. I specifically want to keep any package under the 1500b customs duty exemption in order to avoid risking the "you never know what you're gonna get" Thai customs assessments.

Whatever I might save in postage by consolidating I'm pretty sure would be likely offset by added customs and VAT charges if I started going over the 1500b customs exemption per package. Right now, via PE Airmail and staying under the 1500b valuation per package, I'm paying no customs or VAT, EVER!

PS - Although... the Thai government did announce some months back that they were planning to eliminate that 1500b small package customs exemptions.... And yet, in all the months since, I've continued to be able to take advantage of that, and still get the same customs exempt code marked on all my arriving small packages. So dunno if they changed their mind, or just things have been delayed because of the whole COVID mess.

"Right now, via PE Airmail and staying under the 1500b valuation per package, I'm paying no customs or VAT, EVER!"

Is PE airmail = USPS airmail sent off by Planet Express?

2 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

"Right now, via PE Airmail and staying under the 1500b valuation per package, I'm paying no customs or VAT, EVER!"

Is PE airmail = USPS airmail sent off by Planet Express?

No, they send it thru a European-based outfit called Asendia, and then it's delivered in Thailand by ThaiPost.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 2:43 PM, JimmyJ said:

Credit cards are NOT prohibited from Thailand.

If your credit cards arrived to Thailand, it is because they are supposed to be accepted and arrive there.

Credit cards ARE prohibited from importing to Vietnam.

https://crossborder.fedex.com/us/assets/prohibited-restricted/vietnam/index.shtml

I am going thru the identical issue re: getting my USA cc's into Vietnam.

Haven't tried yet.

I  may wait till I'm next in Thailand.

The list says credit cards, it doesn't say debit cards.

On 6/21/2020 at 1:13 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A lot of posters here aren't paying attention!  The OP's question is about shipping bank cards to VIETNAM, NOT Thailand!

The issues he's encountering are ones relating to Vietnam regulations, and have nothing to do with shipping company policies in general or people's ability to receive such things here in Thailand.

Might have been better posted to the Vietnam subforum.

No, if you go to Fedex's prohibitions page (don't have the URL handy at the moment) it says no debit cards and this is not specific to Vietnam.

3 hours ago, youbuyshirt said:

No, if you go to Fedex's prohibitions page (don't have the URL handy at the moment) it says no debit cards and this is not specific to Vietnam.

I received my last 2 Schwab debit cards here in Thailand via Fedex. Guess I'm lucky.

4 hours ago, youbuyshirt said:

As others here have already reported, they (and I) get bank cards shipped by FedEx to Thailand all the time, and never have had any problems with that, not once. So even if it is their policy, it certainly hasn't seemed to have any impact for TH destined mailings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, youbuyshirt said:

https://crossborder.fedex.com/us/assets/prohibited-restricted/

"Stamps (postage or revenue); vouchers; tokens; tickets of any kind; and credit, debit or cash cards"

So the lesson is - Do not list "ATM/Credit/Debit cards" and numerous posts show they get shipped, np.

(I'm assuming it's strictly a liability issue for Fedex other than Vietnam and any other country's specific prohibition).

Then the issue is Vietnam's bizarre prohibition, and the question is (as TallGuy mentioned) how hard do they search if at all.

Edited by JimmyJ

On 6/20/2020 at 10:04 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The economy option has no tracking. The express option has rudimentary tracking up thru departure from the U.S., but I don't believe it extends to Thailand.  FWIW, I've probably sent 200 packages thru them, and had 100% delivery success here in BKK.

Just to update on the issue of Planet Express airmail express parcel tracking...

My packages, as shown in the USPS tracking site, all now show as having "departed" from Suvarnabhumi airport and are listed as being "in transit" for delivery.

2020-06-27-099.jpg.1afc44a6552a3ed15c057a23aea5af7e.jpg

But those entries all were last updated from the period June 18-19, and there doesn't appear to be any update on the USPS site after that, and no entry at all using the U.S. issued tracking numbers when entered into the Thai Post tracking site.

I had a documents-only PE Airmail Express package shipped from L.A. on June 11 and it just arrived to my home here today on June 27, with the last tracking info via the USPS website still showing it having departed Suvarnabhumi in transit for delivery as of June 19.

Meanwhile, a bunch of other small package parcels (non-document items all below 1500 baht in value each) were shipped out from LA between June 3-10 and none of those have arrived here at home thus far.

2020-06-27-100.jpg.ef127b4b03e4529ed7161014f1bffc91.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

FWIW, the Asendia U.S. tracking website, which Planet Express links to, shows pretty much the same info as the USPS info for particular packages. It appears that while Planet Express uses Asendia, at some point in the shipping process, the packages also get handled by USPS and thus also get a different USPS tracking # for the same package.

https://a1.asendiausa.com/tracking/?trackingnumber=

2020-06-27-101.jpg.9f4cf1811de83b39baf3d30fc74ce6f7.jpg

• Like 1