Thailand Aims to Turn Away From Mass Tourism and Target the Wealthy

rooster59

These horrendous PR releases have no consideration for the Thai people the government are supposed to represent. Almost all of my Thai friends are in terrible situations right now ad because their jobs and businesses depend on tourism and the gov. is doing everything it can to drive tourists away. 

Travel is going to be disrupted for a long time and selecting people based on social class isn't going to help drive the numbers up. 

Everyone wants the big spenders. The wealthy? Who are they? What do they want? After a year, the rock n' rollers who are not broke back home may straggle back in for a week in the sun and some Pad Thai from a small shop. They were not numerous before the virus and that has to be remembered. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BestB said:

Up until covid earlier this year it was all about numbers and reaching targets of extra 10% year on year. Now  a uturn????

does that mean no more chinese buses? Or what do they consider wealthy? 

Once they realise wealthy people don't want to come here the buses will be back. Probably only  targeting wealthy Chinese anyway 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

I chose to make Thailand my place to live.

I didn't chose to leave in February for Australia, it was the fires and obviously family members there.

Been trying to get back ever since. 

My thai family has been deprived of work, now unemployed, lied to about government assistance, living on what I can give them. And the food they can grow.

At least allow me to get back into Thailand and be with them again...

We are not married, but 7 years together and a family home.

It appears that my retirement extension is nothing but a tourist visa when it comes to family matters.

Sadly disappointing and heartbreaking. 

Sorry to hear of your plight, best of luck.

• Thanks 1

Well you can't fault the chutzpah of this guy; at a time when a pandemic is causing the greatest destruction of wealth globally for at least seventy-five years, he proposes to chase that vanishing cohort, the high net wealth tourist. This, in the face of what will be untold competition around the World for a shrinking number of discriminating individuals.

I wish him luck, I really do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

All backpackers have more money then you think. Do you know how much it costs to travel around the world?. They just wanna stretch their time and spendings enjoying life before eventually go back to work.

sure and that's why once in a while, here at TV, there are GoFundMe posts asking for help $$$$$ to get back home 555

It really is remarkable how remote from reality these characters are. For the last few years they have been damaging the tourist industry through their various announcements and initiatives, seemingly unaware of it's decline, Covid 19 has put it into Intensive Care, and now they are donning their "Dr No" outfits and preparing to deliver the "coup de grace!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Logosone said:

Mallorca tried this without success. There are just not enough rich people. The plebs are the masses, it's where the real money is. Who do you think finances the millions footballers earn? The plebs. It comes from advertising, ie products bought by the plebs.

The plebs have huge financial power but don't know it.

Actually mallorca is moving away from the bottom of the market and have invested hundreds of millions in hotels in an effort to focus on family friendly resorts .it will not happen overnight but the days of the booze cruise and pub crawls are finished.

4 minutes ago, terryofcrete said:

and proud of it ! I can’t even figure out sometimes why I stay at cheap places when I can “do the Dusit” anytime ... but I can’t  stand the fussy doormen and the false smiles ... gimme the company of Cheapie Charlie’s any day . only time I ever got sick from food in my long breaks in Thailand was in a posh hotel... The fun is where the plebs are ! 

Really, well I suppose you should carry on with what you have been used too, eh.....:stoner:

Edited by transam
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jon1050 said:

Actually mallorca is moving away from the bottom of the market and have invested hundreds of millions in hotels in an effort to focus on family friendly resorts .it will not happen overnight but the days of the booze cruise and pub crawls are finished.

Very similar to what Thailand aspires to also.

What abslute idiots. The German and Russian governments have already stated in leaked documents that COVID was nowhere near as bad as the flu and most doctors and viroligists not associated with government and its funding say that it did not exist as a virus. They want to control the population of the world with propaganda and lies. Time to wake up. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, fruitman said:

Mallorca has the best beaches of the world...compare that to any thai beach full of plastic, cheap terraces, soi dogs, annoying vendors, groups of chinese...

On Mallorca you meet nice tourists with whom you can share stories and drinks....much better imo

You are delusional. Beaches in Thailand are 100x better, there's no comparison.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Elkski said:

This guy said what I think many hiso wanted to hear.  how do all those 5 star hotel  private  beach complexes survive before.  obviously people with money have been supporting these places.   I had an opportunity to  stay at a few of these resorts in Phuket  during the day only. Details not important.  but the beaches were kept clean,  private docks so guests could  book trips to do anything.  A very relaxing quiet,  clean vacation  can be had.  amd if no pleb tourists that means less traffic and quicker shuttle from the airport.  less wait at restaurants.   maybe snorkeling without 6 boats with 50 loud, reef stepping people each.  I think this guy is serious and I think this idea is attractive to hiso.  Many people are unemployed now so what's the difference going forward hopefully they can slowly find other means of employment.  The major flaw I see is that covid19 does not know how thick ones wallet is and as soon as we have outbreaks at a few of these Resorts then what?

Now, if he can only get rid of public transport gangsters there.....

• Like 1