31st July Anmesty - extended until September?

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

If it was Thai Airways that cancelled the flight, why did he not get a refund? So if my flight with Emirates on Sept is cancelled by them and not me, I will not get a refund? Or at least get my booking changed to a future flight.

Emirates are going above and beyond to help people with cancelled flights. My NON REFUNDABLE Business Saver ticket BKK-DXB-LGW that was scheduled for April 5th was reticketed and is now an effective "open ticket" good for 2 years.

I could have taken a refund but Emirates told me that I wouldn't get as much value that way (eg I'd have effectively lost all the taxes)

And..... I can still get that refund if I ask for it.

Edited by VBF

Just now, ubonjoe said:

That is still unknown at this time. Nobody can answer that question.

Thanks. So, as always, better not to test the limits in such cases if it can possibly be avoided. Just causes extra stress for all parties involved. 

• Like 1

Just now, RocketDog said:

Thanks. So, as always, better not to test the limits in such cases if it can possibly be avoided. Just causes extra stress for all parties involved. 

Indeed....sadly, if you don't have to travel now better to chill out and wait. Sorry for those separated from family of course.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Retirement extensions are processed at local immigration office...no need to fly or cross any border

Sorry, maybe, I wasn't clear, I know retirement extensions can be done locally as I have one.

What I meant and was referring to, when it comes to opening the borders, I would have thought those with multi entries and long stay permits and visas might take precedence for regional movement across borders rather than bog standard tourists.

I could just be dreaming or wishful thinking.

There will be quite a queue for those that need to cross borders to renew visas in Laos and / or Cambodia to get themselves legal again in Thailand when the amnesty expires.

32 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Not necessarily.

They could open the land borders only for nationals of those countries.

They can of course do anything they want but it would be odd to exclude foreigners that have been in either country for the last three months as they are obviously negative for Covid19.

52 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

The question is still open as to allowing nationals versus tourists/long-stay would be allowed back in with/without quarantine from other bubble countries. 

Correct? Any info on that? 

I wish I did have that information.

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Did you by any chance understand that we were talking about the yearly extensions for retirement and marriage as well as being a parent of a Thai child? They are not included in the amnesty if you wish to extend them for another year. If you let those go in to the visa amnesty cycle they will not be possible to extend when the amnesty ends

Oh? I never saw any definitive exclusion for these extensions from the amnesty pronouncement (but maybe I missed it...).

Sure, for most, nothing's changed. But some, i.e., those using income statements from their embassy -- and their embassy/consulate is closed for corvid-19 -- how are they going to renew their extensions? Some, I'm sure, do the income statements by mail, as do the Swiss -- as long as the certified retirement statement of income is received from the applicable Swiss agency. But for others -- sh-- out of luck until the embassies reopen.

Thus, for folks in this situation, I would hope Immigration recognizes the amnesty needs to encompass them.

Thus, to say the amnesty excludes long term extendees may not be correct for certain situations.

15 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Oh? I never saw any definitive exclusion for these extensions from the amnesty pronouncement (but maybe I missed it...).

Sure, for most, nothing's changed. But some, i.e., those using income statements from their embassy -- and their embassy/consulate is closed for corvid-19 -- how are they going to renew their extensions? Some, I'm sure, do the income statements by mail, as do the Swiss -- as long as the certified retirement statement of income is received from the applicable Swiss agency. But for others -- sh-- out of luck until the embassies reopen.

Thus, for folks in this situation, I would hope Immigration recognizes the amnesty needs to encompass them.

Thus, to say the amnesty excludes long term extendees may not be correct for certain situations.

Never said that the extensions was excluded from the amnesty. What I said was that if you let your 1 year extension overstay and be a part of the visa amnesty, you can not extend it for 1 year later. You must in that case make a new Non-O and start the procedure to get an extension once again. Most people do not want that.

Talk about statements to show income again??? What´s wrong with showing the real money in a bank account or monthly deposits? In my opinion, people that do not show the real money and get hysterical when they can´t get their letter, they have something that they can´t show in their financials. Just my opinion. However, if the money is there, it´s no need for a letter, right?

After that you repeat yourself about the exclusion of amnesty, which I never stated. What I stated was that they are excluded if you wish to extend another year.

Have a nice day! ???? 

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Emirates are going above and beyond to help people with cancelled flights. My NON REFUNDABLE Business Saver ticket BKK-DXB-LGW that was scheduled for April 5th was reticketed and is now an effective "open ticket" good for 2 years.

I could have taken a refund but Emirates told me that I wouldn't get as much value that way (eg I'd have effectively lost all the taxes)

And..... I can still get that refund if I ask for it.

"and is now an effective "open ticket" good for 2 years."  That would suit me just fine if they cancel my flight. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

What I stated was that they are excluded if you wish to extend another year.

I guess you can't follow the bouncing ball. My sole input was that, folks that use the income affidavit but whose embassies are closed, certainly have a valid mitigating circumstance. Thus NOT necessarily excluded from an extension renewal after expiration -- depending on the whims of Immigration -- but NOT definitely excluded via the amnesty directive.

What´s wrong with showing the real money in a bank account or monthly deposits? In my opinion, people that do not show the real money and get hysterical when they can´t get their letter, they have something that they can´t show in their financials. Just my opinion. However, if the money is there, it´s no need for a letter, right?

Ok. Soapbox spiel. But, there are folks who choose to use the income affidavit, and whose countries still provide them. These aren't necessarily scoundrels -- I use the 800k method because I can no longer use the US income letter. I have no real problem with 800k in a Thai bank -- makes it easier to leave to my Thai heirs. But, conversely, this 800k came from a stock fund that earned 30% last year. Oh well.

However, if the money is there, it´s no need for a letter, right?

Gosh, why didn't I think of that. Arguing with brilliance on this forum can at least provide a chuckle.

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

Cambodians are being allowed to cross over at Chon Chom for medical in Surin. They are bringing their whole family. Big C parking lot was stuffed with nothing but Khemer lic plates this past weekend.

Good to know! But I think not official policy. Must be a lical "arrangement".

I have a handicapped Khmer friend scheduled for long awaited aurgery in Bangkok in August and very worried she won't be able to get in.

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Good to know! But I think not official policy. Must be a lical "arrangement".

I have a handicapped Khmer friend scheduled for long awaited aurgery in Bangkok in August and very worried she won't be able to get in.

Its official as the PM OK it for medical reasons. Checking on both side of crossing on health. They pack up their auto and bring the whole family. BTW NO Thais or others may cross the other way. There was an article or two on TV

Edited by khwaibah

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Emirates are going above and beyond to help people with cancelled flights. My NON REFUNDABLE Business Saver ticket BKK-DXB-LGW that was scheduled for April 5th was reticketed and is now an effective "open ticket" good for 2 years. //

I am in a similar case, but Emirates is even better than that, as you can even change your destination for a nearby country (Vietnam, Cambodia, ...)  ????

https://www.emirates.com/fr/english/help/keep-your-ticket/ :

You can choose to keep your ticket and we’ll extend its validity to 24 months from the date of your original booking. The fare amount you paid for your original booking will be accepted for any flight to the same destination/region* at any time with no fees during this period.

23 minutes ago, JimGant said:

I guess you can't follow the bouncing ball. My sole input was that, folks that use the income affidavit but whose embassies are closed, certainly have a valid mitigating circumstance. Thus NOT necessarily excluded from an extension renewal after expiration -- depending on the whims of Immigration -- but NOT definitely excluded via the amnesty directive.

Wrong!

Ok. Soapbox spiel. But, there are folks who choose to use the income affidavit, and whose countries still provide them. These aren't necessarily scoundrels -- I use the 800k method because I can no longer use the US income letter. I have no real problem with 800k in a Thai bank -- makes it easier to leave to my Thai heirs. But, conversely, this 800k came from a stock fund that earned 30% last year. Oh well.

Guess you should had more money to take somewhere else then. Take it away from something that gives you 30% on a year, just seems that you put your last dime into staying in Thailand.

Gosh, why didn't I think of that. Arguing with brilliance on this forum can at least provide a chuckle.

Yeah, why didn´t you? How should I know?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, khwaibah said:

Its official as the PM OK it for medical reasons. Checking on both side of crossing on health. They pack up their auto and bring the whole family. BTW NO Thais or others may cross the other way. There was an article or two on TV

I really do not think the Thai government let alone the Prime Minister personallg has authorized this but if you have any links to that effect pkease post. The info we are getting from both Thai Embassy and local immigration is that medical visas are not being issued and cannot come. 

This is also what has been said in the media.

Surin area has a long history  of bending the rules for border crossing. I still think what you are seeing is a purely local arrangement. Would be interested to know what if anything gets stamped into their passports when entering Thailand.

• Like 1

We are still in June. Let's assume visa amnesty isnt extended after July 31, ...

When do you all recommend to start making a visit to chaeng wattana to apply for visa extension? I can only picture the chaos and human sea in every corner of the building.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I really do not think the Thai government let alone the Prime Minister personallg has authorized this but if you have any links to that effect pkease post. The info we are getting from both Thai Embassy and local immigration is that medical visas are not being issued and cannot come. 

This is also what has been said in the media.

Surin area has a long history  of bending the rules for border crossing. I still think what you are seeing is a purely local arrangement. Would be interested to know what if anything gets stamped into their passports when entering Thailand.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1164963-two-thai-provinces-to-open-border-for-cambodians-seeking-emergency-medical-help/

https://opendevelopmentcambodia.net/news/two-thai-provinces-to-open-border-for-cambodians-seeking-emergency-medical-help/#!/story=post-136415

https://en.vietnamplus.vn/thailand-to-open-border-for-cambodians-seeking-emergency-medical-help/173621.vnp

Edited by khwaibah

51 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Thanks for that. They mention "low level negotiations" and it seems to be limited to people from Banteay Meanchey going to Surin or one other province in Issan.

Good for them, but no help for the lady I mentioned, unfortunately - she lives in Phnom Penh and is booked for highly specialized surgery in a major Bangkok Hospital.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

It seems some people are confusing medical tourism with medical evacuation. One of the exceptions to no entry of foreigners into Thailand is that medical evacuation (for instance from Laos) is still permitted with prior clearance. Of course, this has nothing whatsoever to do with type MT visas.

6 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Cambodians are being allowed to cross over at Chon Chom for medical in Surin. They are bringing their whole family. Big C parking lot was stuffed with nothing but Khemer lic plates this past weekend.

That is very strange. How did they receive their permissions? What about quarantines, covid testing on arrival? And they were even allowed to drive their own cars into the country?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, khwaibah said:

Seems a bit of an unfair arrangement. Cambodia has banned Vietnamese nationals from entering the country at this time. Seems like Thailand is a bit of a pushover when it comes to poorer, neighboring countries. If Thailand were more assertive like China, there's no way this would fly.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Seems a bit of an unfair arrangement. Cambodia has banned Vietnamese nationals from entering the country at this time. Seems like Thailand is a bit of a pushover when it comes to poorer, neighboring countries. If Thailand were more assertive like China, there's no way this would fly.

I think it has far more to do with financial gain than being a "pushover".  There is a private hospital in Surin that makes a huge chunk of its income from Cambodian patients, and they are also very big business for the local super stores as well. (This last was also true in Aranyaprathet, which is not letting them across, but the local hospital aspect is rather unique to that area.  Bangkok hospitals must be missing the business, though...private Bkk hospitals were always packed with Cambodians and that includes the priciest like Bumrungrad).

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I think it has far more to do with financial gain than being a "pushover".  There is a private hospital in Surin that makes a huge chunk of its income from Cambodian patients, and they are also very big business for the local super stores as well. (This last was also true in Aranyaprathet, which is not letting them across, but the local hospital aspect is rather unique to that area.  Bangkok hospitals must be missing the business, though...private Bkk hospitals were always packed with Cambodians and that includes the priciest like Bumrungrad).

How do they afford Bumrungrad?

• Sad 1

On 6/21/2020 at 9:16 AM, ubonjoe said:

It is not only repatriation flights into the country that people can board at this time.

There are flights transiting through that are allowed to board passengers There are even some that are flying in empty to pick up passengers.

A little bit of false info stating no flights out of the country in that article.

True KLM has regular 3 flight out BKK to Amsterdam , but must look/search on the SINGLE flights search page , and I found them on the Thai KLM site .

Most who say can not fly out are those who wish to use their return ticket , which is not possible , must buy the single flight (prices around 25 000 baht )

https://www.klm.co.th/search/open-dates?connections=BKK:A>AMS:A&pax=1:0:0:0&cabinClass=ECONOMY&activeConnection=0

They are allowed to fly in to Th. with cargo , but not disembark, hence double crew aboard  , and few hours later fly out to E.U. with passengers, that is also why different hours table 

2020-06-22_201200.png

Edited by david555

5 hours ago, arfandy said:

We are still in June. Let's assume visa amnesty isnt extended after July 31, ...

When do you all recommend to start making a visit to chaeng wattana to apply for visa extension? I can only picture the chaos and human sea in every corner of the building.

They gave this visa amnesty at that time all was chaos , not only in Immigration ,but also in air traffic as total non existing ,  but as now there are possibility's for those flying out Thailand , I guess this could be the last amnesty they go  give , as they could claim  all had time to consider their case to find solution for to plan leaving .

For those in need to do visa run for their local visa system the problem stay's if no new amnesty , so they are in real problem if land borders don't open .

Edited by david555