Seaview condos - high or low floor?

TopDeadSenter

30 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How many floors up do you have to be so mozzies won't be able to fly up to your room window/balcony? How many metres above ground is their flying high limit their wings will take them up?

As said, generally they won't fly more than eight floors up, but that is relative:  If a kind neighbor has pots of standing water on a 5F balcony, they can lay eggs there and then they can fly up seven floors from there, to 12F.  And, as mentioned, they can take elevators:  either hitch a ride on your clothing or just fly in when the doors are open and exit on a high floor.  That said, my Jomtien condo is on the 7F and I have had few mozzies.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Route 66 Bangkok had a fire a few years ago??? Never heard of it. Do you have a link as proof?

I had the name wrong, it was the Route 999 Nightclub in Pattaya back in May 2006.  

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/68456-massive-fire-at-route-999-in-pattaya/#comments
http://www.pattayamail.com/667/news.shtml#hd1http://www.pattayamail.com/667/news.shtml#hd1

48 minutes ago, Trillian said:
1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

How many floors up do you have to be so mozzies won't be able to fly up to your room window/balcony? How many metres above ground is their flying high limit their wings will take them up?

Mossies take elevators too!

Maybe they do. But they don't stay. Don't ask me why.

Noting the references to the sun. That probably should be a prime consideration as you will quickly find it to be annoying when you can't watch TV until well after sunset because of the glare. I like in a 1 storey, south facing house in a housing "estate" and I get enough glare to make it annoying in the afternoons. I have the standard curtains which help a little but  you can still see the "window glow" on the TV screen.
I can only imagine what a south/south-west facing high rise condo would be like. You'd need those heavy dark drapes like some hotels have.

My windows do have a bit of tint on them, which works better when the windows are closed of course (and the aircon is on). Still, I should think about getting darker curtains one day.

18 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe they do. But they don't stay. Don't ask me why.

Well, it's Pattaya and "Short Timers" got to get back to work ! Even if they are mosquitoes !

I find it odd that the skeeters here don't seem to make the same annoying buzzing noise that the ones back home do. Here they tend to be "silent but deadly", like a fart in a crowded elevator.

But for the most part, they do stay close to the ground. They don't have the physical structure to allow them to fly dozens of meters above the ground. It seems (according to Wiki) that most species of mosquitoes don't fly much higher than about 40 feet (12 metres) above the ground. Doesn't mean they can't live higher than that (they can be found at elevations of anywhere from 2000 feet underground to 8000 feet above ground). They just don't normally fly higher than that (from whatever elevation they spawn from).

I think the main reason you don't find many on the upper floors of high rise buildings is that there are fewer places for them to breed up there, and fewer food sources.

Frikken annoying to find them in the bedroom almost every night though. Turn on the light and the aircon and a minute later I see a mozzie flying around. I don't think I've been bit yet though (while sleeping).

Which is another odd thing. Back home, you get a mozzie bite and it itches and it swells, especially if you scratch it. 
Never noticed that over here and I'm sure I must have been bitten more than a few times over the years.

19 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

This could happen in any kind of accomodation.

Well  I expect a dangerous fire could also occur in any type of high rise building too..... like a hotel.....The Holiday Inn for example, or go back to 2015 when 88 people died in the 450-room Royal Jomtien Resort hotel.

The 450-room Royal Jomtien Resort hotel became a death trap for at least 88 people on Friday when a kitchen fire raged through the building, which lacked basic safety equipment such as smoke detectors, fire extinguishers or sprinklers.

Condo buildings don't have large kitchens like hotels, but there are many many individual kitchen areas, fortunately without gas bottles. I might suggest AirBnB bookings to Indians and Chinese who do like to cook in the room, make the risk higher.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

go back to 2015 when 88 people died in the 450-room Royal Jomtien Resort hotel.

No, try 1997. Probably overdue for the AD checkup, eh. Might not be available in PTY, however. There's an opportunity there. 

Edited by BigStar

23 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I had the name wrong, it was the Route 999 Nightclub in Pattaya back in May 2006.  

There was also the fire in the nightclub in Ekkamai about 10 yrs ago or thereabouts which claimed the lives of 50+ people. Tragic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2020 at 11:10 PM, Kerryd said:

Noting the references to the sun. That probably should be a prime consideration as you will quickly find it to be annoying when you can't watch TV until well after sunset because of the glare. I like in a 1 storey, south facing house in a housing "estate" and I get enough glare to make it annoying in the afternoons. I have the standard curtains which help a little but  you can still see the "window glow" on the TV screen.
I can only imagine what a south/south-west facing high rise condo would be like. You'd need those heavy dark drapes like some hotels have.

My windows do have a bit of tint on them, which works better when the windows are closed of course (and the aircon is on). Still, I should think about getting darker curtains one day.

Well, it's Pattaya and "Short Timers" got to get back to work ! Even if they are mosquitoes !

I find it odd that the skeeters here don't seem to make the same annoying buzzing noise that the ones back home do. Here they tend to be "silent but deadly", like a fart in a crowded elevator.

But for the most part, they do stay close to the ground. They don't have the physical structure to allow them to fly dozens of meters above the ground. It seems (according to Wiki) that most species of mosquitoes don't fly much higher than about 40 feet (12 metres) above the ground. Doesn't mean they can't live higher than that (they can be found at elevations of anywhere from 2000 feet underground to 8000 feet above ground). They just don't normally fly higher than that (from whatever elevation they spawn from).

I think the main reason you don't find many on the upper floors of high rise buildings is that there are fewer places for them to breed up there, and fewer food sources.

Frikken annoying to find them in the bedroom almost every night though. Turn on the light and the aircon and a minute later I see a mozzie flying around. I don't think I've been bit yet though (while sleeping).

Which is another odd thing. Back home, you get a mozzie bite and it itches and it swells, especially if you scratch it. 
Never noticed that over here and I'm sure I must have been bitten more than a few times over the years.

I thought it was the sex of the mossie that determined if it buzzed or not. That may be wrong.

The mossie bites I got did itch.

I always sprayed the room before I went out and no mossies when I returned.

There are probably tons of places available (ground floor with large swimming pool outside the door). It seems that is the current trend these days with most new condo complexes.
First you'd want to look at what area you want to be in. No point buying a condo in Naklua if you think you'll be spending most of your time in Jomtien (or visa versa).

Then have a look at the area (start with google maps) and search (google) for condos in the area you prefer.

You are probably going to have to go to a number of places to find one you like. Even if a dozen people here give a recommendation, you are still going to have to go look for yourself, especially as half (or more) of those recommendations will be outside of your preferred area or won't be ground floor, or won't be "ocean view" (etc, etc).

There are dozens of condo complexes with pools.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk01q2NlxAiuRqy7IstgFohpJLq-c8g%3A1593652738350&ei=Ajb9XsyEFdyS4-EPo8WsqA8&q=pattaya+condo+with+pool+for+sale&oq=pattaya+condo+with+pool+for+sale&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeMggIIRAWEB0QHjIICCEQFhAdEB4yCAghEBYQHRAeMggIIRAWEB0QHjoJCAAQsAMQCBAeOgYIABAWEB5Q8TdYsEJggURoAXAAeACAAWKIAYUGkgEBOZgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXo&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjMjfWKs63qAhVcyTgGHaMiC_UQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

You're going to have to browse a lot of listings, then do some personal visits. Lots of people will have a "favourite" but what's good for some is bad for others and no one knows what you may consider "good".

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I thought it was the sex of the mossie that determined if it buzzed or not. That may be wrong.

The mossie bites I got did itch.

I always sprayed the room before I went out and no mossies when I returned.

Close - supposedly you only hear the female mosquito because it is the only one that bites (gee, what a surprise) and it has a slightly higher pitch than the male. 
(Female mosquitoes, Black widow spiders, Praying Mantis, Bar Girls - females that are deadly to man.)

Yeah, I'll turn on the overhead light/fan, let it spin for a few seconds then give the room a blast with the spray, then turn off the fan and shut the door for half an hour. The fan helps spread the spray around the room and riles up any sleeping skeeters, just in time for them to take a deep breath of insecticide.

When you get bit here, do the bites swell ? Back home they'd form small bumps, a little smaller than a pea, that would itch like crazy.

When I lived in South Pattaya, I learned that if I was down on the street around sundown, I needed to wear long pants, socks and shoes. People that didn't would get all sorts of attention from the mozzies. 
https://www.cmcd.org/biology-2/mosquito-myths-facts/#:~:text=The buzzing sound that you,females make a buzzing sound.&text=Most people never hear the,because it doesn't bite.