Visit to Pattaya today - It was Almost a Pleasure

Pilotman

Just now, jacko45k said:

Perhaps the ones in a GGB with a bit more money have more fun than the ones breaking their fast at 9am with a Chang....and now is not really a good time to judge.... but I have seem worse in the UK... had to visit a relatve in a mental hospital for the elderly, and I could have openly wept. And all those at home alomne...

That I agree with,  I wouldn't be dragged back to the UK at any time, never mind right now, when the place is suffering from some form of mass hysteria, chronic laziness, a marked lack of will to go back to work and when it is in pretty much terminal economic decline. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pravda said:

So, you are the only foreigner allowed to visit Pattaya, while others should stay clear?

A bit selfish. No?

And what was so wrong with Pattaya before except that it was a tourist trap, 10 times less worse than say.... Phuket? 

Patterz in the best. 

Phuket is way better than Pattaya. It's not as crowded, and there are actually nice beaches worth swimming at, where people live you alone, unlike in Pattaya. For the time being though, is it worth driving 12 hours to visit Phuket from Bangkok when there are far closer and nicer options for beaches? No. Either way doesn't change the fact that Pattaya is kind of sketchy. OK for a quick visit, but not to spend too much time in.

Edited by drbeach
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, rott said:

Just that it seems odd to choose to live in a place that owes it's existence to tourism and complain about the tourists. 

Crazy as it seems it has the easiest access to my place of employment in Amata Nakorn but now that the  new extension in open a move to Sattahip next time my lease is due for renewal I wil seriously consider moving.

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That I agree with,  I wouldn't be dragged back to the UK at any time, never mind right now, when the place is suffering from some form of mass hysteria, chronic laziness, a marked lack of will to go back to work and when it is in pretty much terminal economic decline. 

You are beginning to sound like serial complainer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Yesterday, sitting  in the coffee shop, even Mrs P remarked that the two other tables, occupied by single older men, that they looked  bored and unhappy. 

That's right... Pattaya is full of lonely farangs who crave company, which they try to find in bars. 

I have a friend there, exactly in this situation, and he is depressed now. 

So, I ask him: how is it possible that after so many years in Pattaya you know so few people, and that you constantly need the artificial company provided by the bars? 

His answer is that the people he knows (outside the bars) spend most of their time with their families. 

Loneliness is a bitch and a bar buddy will never replace a family... 

• Like 1

And has a prime minister who combs his hair with a stick of dynamite! 

• Haha 1

In defence of the sad old men with a first Chang at 9.00am, I used to be one of those but I was far from sad. 

I’d set off for a breakfast walk from soi buahkow to the sailer bar on I think soi 8, then to poppy bar, again I think soi 8 and beach road ( the one with 2 knackered pool tables).

A few beers and games of pool with the sparse amount of bargirls working there compared to previous years.

Beautiful sea view and people watching point, always met some farangs I’d not met before and some regulars on holiday, a very relaxed morning.

Then a walk down to star or 5 star bar (I get the names mixed up) and by now the barstools are filling up. 

My missus would finish work, we’d meet up and rent a couple of deckchairs on the beach opposite Central Plaza (nice clean toilets).

A few more Chang da de Chang, seafood for she and a kip for me. 

I did this a couple times a week a few years ago and life never felt better.

Seriously,. and I am being serious now, Yes, I understand what you are saying,  but most of the old men I see around Pattaya look miserable, often bored and lonely.  Take a stroll along those bars on the beach end of Soi 6, I have never seen so many miserable faces as you can see there in the day time. Yesterday, sitting  in the coffee shop, even Mrs P remarked that the two other tables, occupied by single older men, that they looked  bored and unhappy.  Not usual for her to notice such things, never mind remark on them. Sometimes, when I see such people, I feel incredibly sad for them. Maybe I am just reading too much into the expressions of people I don't know?  

That is true. And I see many alcoholics. They sit on the beach, in bars and in malls and drink the whole day - every day. On the other hand I am not sure if they would be more happy in their home country. But reality will set in if they get sick or don't fulfill the visa requirements. At least they had a "?good?" time until then - hopefully. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Crazy as it seems it has the easiest access to my place of employment in Amata Nakorn but now that the  new extension in open a move to Sattahip next time my lease is due for renewal I wil seriously consider moving.

do move, its much nicer out here. 

The availability of young cute girls, close golf, many food options, modern malls and other amenities make it an enjoyable place.  Its called enjoying life and retirement.

Unfortunately, negative impotent males with not much going on and little funds do not get the opportunity to appreciate the great virtues of the place.  No big deal, someplace else is obviuosly a better choice.

Edited by bkk6060

3 minutes ago, newnative said:

Seriously, I think you are both reading too much into expressions and reading too much into the places that you choose to remark upon and base your observations on.   Most of us living here are not hanging out in 'bars on the beach end of Soi 6'.  Most of us aren't even hanging out in coffee shops looking sad, for that matter.  There's nothing wrong with either but I think too many people come to Pattaya, go to a few tourist spots like Walking Street and Soi 6, and then decide that all of us are living sad lives here based on what they've observed from spots the majority of us don't even go to.   

Perhaps a better picture might be lunch time at the food court of Big C Extra.  There you will likely see tables of 3 or 4 men hanging out and having a good conversation over lunch.  You'll see many older farang men with their Thai wives or girlfriends--the men are mostly in their 60s to late 70s and their wives look to be in their 40s and 50s--not young bar girls.  You can tell they have been together for sometime.  They're doing their weekly shopping at Big C, paying bills, and stopping for lunch--often meeting other couples and lunching together.  You can see that it's a weekly thing for many of them.  Just going about their normal lives--but not as noticeable, perhaps, to someone just visiting. 

yes that is true.  We do shop in Big C once a month and yes, the food court is a place of community and conversation.  But it's a rare place it seems to me.  However, I don't live there, so you are probably right.  We shouldn't make snap judgements based upon our own prejudices. I dare say that when Mrs P is 'discussing' with me ( for that, read 'talking at me') about what veg she wants to get in the market, I don't look a picture of happiness either. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

That's right... Pattaya is full of lonely farangs who crave company, which they try to find in bars. 

I have a friend there, exactly in this situation, and he is depressed now. 

So, I ask him: how is it possible that after so many years in Pattaya you know so few people, and that you constantly need the artificial company provided by the bars? 

His answer is that the people he knows (outside the bars) spend most of their time with their families. 

Loneliness is a bitch and a bar buddy will never replace a family... 

I suspect he’d be lonely wherever he decided to stay, and I’m not so sure that a “family” is the answer either ... given the level of divorce rates ... suggests he may have more chance of a “happy ending” in a Pattaya massage parlour. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pilotman said:

None of that makes any sense to me. 

and vice versa ... you didn’t make sense to me ... shall I add us ... though I cannot provide proof . I could translate your post into Pattaya Lovers language ... Don’t bother coming until it’s back to normal . 

• Confused 1

On 6/24/2020 at 6:16 AM, Pilotman said:

You make it sound like it should have been the EU that wanted the divorce.  ????

• Confused 1