visa extension refused

23 hours ago, simonrbkk said:

lots of talk about blacklist & deportation i not understand whats going on but after my wife reasoning with them im told i have to leave country by end of July

23 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Sounds like they did it by the book but are cutting him some slack allowing him to clear off home and get a new passport, rather than deporting and blacklisting.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't understand why they are telling you that you will need a new passport. Leaving the country will cancel your current extension.

I see no reason for getting the new passport unless you will less than 12 months remaining on it when you apply for a extension later.

Strangely this echos the same threats I have been given by Chiang Mai immigration.. That they will blacklist me from obtaining any further visas, there was also something said about changing passport but it was via phone call to my slightly freaked out wife. 

My cardinal sin is not being there on the day he demands I attend, to show hims some photos of my house inside !! 

Maybe the IO suggested the OP get a new BankBook (so as to 'erase' the early draw down of the 800,000 Baht and the wife misunderstood it as PassPort.

I understand comments that the Op's extension is not valid, but, unless stamped cancelled by IO, wouldn't it be technically valid. I assume they did not cancel because of the possibility of confusion with the Covid automatic extensions and the deep sh@t it would cause the OP at this point in time.

• Like 1

Could it be that your passport has less than 12 months before it expires? Normally when you apply for any visa the passport has to be valid at least 6 months. I’ll take it that the marriage visa is valid for 12 months, in that case the passport would need to be valid for at least that long? 

Edited by pacovl46

7 minutes ago, pacovl46 said:

Normally when you apply for any visa the passport has to be valid at least 6 months.

He is applying for an extension and that is only required to apply for visas at a embassy or consulate.

Immigration will accept a passport with less than 12 month remaining on its validity but will only issue the extension to the day it expires.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He is applying for an extension and that is only required to apply for visas at a embassy or consulate.

Immigration will accept a passport with less than 12 month remaining on its validity but will only issue the extension to the day it expires.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate it! 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 4:34 PM, ubonjoe said:

I think immigration could of been a little flexible since your were applying for a extension based upon marriage that does not have the same requirements as retirement.

I don't understand why they are telling you that you will need a new passport. Leaving the country will cancel your current extension.

I see no reason for getting the new passport unless you will less than 12 months remaining on it when you apply for a extension later.

You could apply for a 60 day extension to visit your wife to get more time to leave the country if the amnesty is not extended.

Does he actually have a current valid extension when he went below 800k before the end of 90 days after his extension application? That part is quite clear from March 1 last year. Maybe this shows that the 90 days check at Jomtien Immigration isn't that bad after all. 

On 6/23/2020 at 4:11 AM, simonrbkk said:

Went to Bangkok immigration yesterday to change from retirement extension to marriage extension (non imm o ) was refused because i made a mistake by using some of 800000 baht 2 weeks before the 3 month in account after getting retirement extension.lots of talk about blacklist & deportation i not understand whats going on but after my wife reasoning with them im told i have to leave country by end of July amnesty my visa runs out 16th july.she tells me they not put application for marriage extension on system but once i have left Thailand i will only be able to return to Thailand if i have a "new uk passport" this is the part i don't understand because my retirement extension will still be on the system even if its not in new passport.

Has anyone come accross this before ?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Don't panic. Take a deep breadth. Go to an agent to sort it out. They will sort it out using your combination  a combination method your pension/monthly incoming money + money in the bank.

On 6/23/2020 at 4:56 PM, moe666 said:

Joe he took money out of 800,000 before 3 months after he recieved the extension of stay

and of course those using agents avoid all of this - no checking 3 months after or 2 months before - no checking for minimum of 400k 12 months a year, as long as you pay a bribe all the checking goes away

6 minutes ago, Gilltom said:

Thought it was 400.000 if u was married to a thai??

Retirement extension of stay is 800k regardless of marriage status (or 65k per month income).  The new rule for retirement is if using money in bank you must keep 400k in account year round and have 800k 2 months prior until 3 months after extension of stay. 

If married and using extension for marriage then the amount is 400k in account 2 months prior to extension.  And to be safe until extension received (one month later).

Edited by lopburi3

Strange.

I reacted to a short post by @Bender Rodriguezapprox 1 hour ago, and provided some advice for the OP how to deal with the situation he is in.

But both BR's post as well as mine have been removed without any notification...

Originally those now removed posts had #40 and #41 and were posted approx 9h00 AM.

Can a moderator please check what happened? 

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Can a moderator please check what happened? 

You quoted a post that had been removed half an hour before you posted your quote.

The post was removed for being off topic and inflammatory.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

You quoted a post that had been removed half an hour before you posted your quote.

The post was removed for being off topic and inflammatory.

Thanks for response.  I will re-post, as only the very first line of my post was a reaction on the inflammatory post, and the rest was advice for the OP how to deal with his unfortunate situation.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:59 AM, simonrbkk said:

I asked about getting a 60 day extension but they said i didn't have a valid visa as i didn't keep money in the bank for the required time.i did my first 90 day report 2 weeks early took bank book but was not asked for it so i thought i was ok to use money forgetting i went 2 weeks early my mistake.

Hi Simonrbkk,

Your best option would probably be to simply re-apply (at the end of the Amnesty period) for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife

The reason for the initial 60-day extension refusal when you asked for it after your 1-year extension application was denied, being that the immigration officer you were dealing with knew that you were not applying from a 'valid' permission to stay because of the 800K slip.

However, the officer did not void your present permission to stay.  And so you can stay in Thailand till the end of the Amnesty extension (31 July).

And so you can re-apply for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife, a couple of days before the Amnesty expires.  Normally IO when handling such a 60-day extension application will only check your current permission to stay (prolonged by the Amnesty) and the evidence of you being still married with your thai wife.  IO will not check your financials like they do when you apply for the 1-year extension, so they will not know that you slipped the 800K and that your permission to stay is technically not 'valid'.

The only possible (but unlikely) stumbling-block could be that the officer that refused your initial 1-year permission to stay application, made a note in the IO database of you not being on a valid permission to stay.  And that this IO database would be checked by the officer handling your application for the 60-day permission to stay for reason of visiting your wife.  But I reckon chances are slim that would happen.

With your 60-days extension application approved you will have 'bought' time till end of September.  And if the borders are open again by then, you can then do a simple border-run and apply for a new Non Imm O Visa and subsequent extension.

Note: Forget about the new passport IO mentioned.  That's total nonsense, because it is NOT required.  Even if your present passport would have less than 12 months when applying for a 1-year extension of stay, your permission to stay would be granted but in that case limited to the expiry date of your passport.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 4:23 PM, timendres said:

If your retirement extension does not have a re-entry permit, then once you leave the country the extension will be canceled. If your current passport meets the requirements for a marriage visa, and then extension, I am not sure why you would need a new one. It is interesting to see that the 800k rules were checked, which confirms that they will be using this method for enforcement of that rule.

I'm guessing the advice to get a new passport is so that he will have one without any previous stamps. That way, having the old retirement extensions cancelled off the system, and no stamps, he can effectively start off again. 

They appear to be trying to help rather than enforcing the rules strictly. This also answers some posters who have previously insisted it's not really necessary to worry about keeping the 800k in the bank if your office doesn't do a call back to check.

My office checks and I'm glad they do. Wouldn't want this sort of surprise.

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi Simonrbkk,

Your best option would probably be to simply re-apply (at the end of the Amnesty period) for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife

The reason for the initial 60-day extension refusal when you asked for it after your 1-year extension application was denied, being that the immigration officer you were dealing with knew that you were not applying from a 'valid' permission to stay because of the 800K slip.

However, the officer did not void your present permission to stay.  And so you can stay in Thailand till the end of the Amnesty extension (31 July).

And so you can re-apply for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife, a couple of days before the Amnesty expires.  Normally IO when handling such a 60-day extension application will only check your current permission to stay (prolonged by the Amnesty) and the evidence of you being still married with your thai wife.  IO will not check your financials like they do when you apply for the 1-year extension, so they will not know that you slipped the 800K and that your permission to stay is technically not 'valid'.

The only possible (but unlikely) stumbling-block could be that the officer that refused your initial 1-year permission to stay application, made a note in the IO database of you not being on a valid permission to stay.  And that this IO database would be checked by the officer handling your application for the 60-day permission to stay for reason of visiting your wife.  But I reckon chances are slim that would happen.

With your 60-days extension application approved you will have 'bought' time till end of September.  And if the borders are open again by then, you can then do a simple border-run and apply for a new Non Imm O Visa and subsequent extension.

Note: Forget about the new passport IO mentioned.  That's total nonsense, because it is NOT required.  Even if your present passport would have less than 12 months when applying for a 1-year extension of stay, your permission to stay would be granted but in that case limited to the expiry date of your passport.

There is no "technically" about it. You need to keep the 800k in the bank for 3 months after permission grants or the permission is cancelled. 

We've just been waiting to see what happens to anyone who doesn't keep the money there. Now we know.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

pretty sure an agent could fix this

True, but not necessary for OP to engage a fixer agent.

OP just needs to re-apply for a 60-day permission to stay for reason of visiting his wife.

And best to do that a couple of days before the Amnesty expires, so that in the unlikely case that 60-day extension application is refused he can still engage a fixer agent for his 1-year extension of stay application.

But chances are slim that this 60-day extension application will be refused (the only possible reason being that the officer who refused his initial 1-year extension of stay application for the 800K slip, has 'flagged' him in the IO database).

And once he has that 60-day extension approved, he can at the end of it either

a) do a border-run and on return apply for a new Non Imm O Visa and subsequent extension;

b) apply for the 1-year extension of stay of his Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage (and providing evidence of the monthly-income transfers he did in the 12 months preceding his application).

A not named immigration office had similar applicant. A non immigration person approached and was told problem could be overlooked for a 25,000 payment under the table. Suggest find an agent and present your problem. Someone will find a way.

I am in a similar situation having gone under the minimum 400k Required for the 7 months on the 800k O/A extension. Money is now back in the account but was out for 6 weeks in April/May. As my extension will need renewal next Jan 2021, will I be on overstay for about 10 months and potentially jailed/deported and fined. If I used a fixer agent, would I then have to use the fixer for further extensions?

6 minutes ago, ragabob said:

I am in a similar situation having gone under the minimum 400k Required for the 7 months on the 800k O/A extension. Money is now back in the account but was out for 6 weeks in April/May. As my extension will need renewal next Jan 2021, will I be on overstay for about 10 months and potentially jailed/deported and fined. If I used a fixer agent, would I then have to use the fixer for further extensions?

Just a thought. Maybe to be "safe" you could leave through a land border (when they open), get a new visa and start the new process again. Without a re-entry permit so that your extension is basically void. An immigration officer at the border will not ask you to show your bank book when leaving.

5 minutes ago, AndyPa said:

Just a thought. Maybe to be "safe" you could leave through a land border (when they open), get a new visa and start the new process again. Without a re-entry permit so that your extension is basically void. An immigration officer at the border will not ask you to show your bank book when leaving.

Probably best to do that as soon as borders are open rather than wait until nearer Jan 2021.

15 minutes ago, ragabob said:

IO would not know about you having gone under the 800K/400K tresshold, unless you apply for a 1-year extension of stay and provide them with the bank-documents (which will show this).

The easiest way for you to tackle this situation is to exit Thailand before your next renewal in January 2021, and on return apply for a new Non Imm O Visa and subsequent extension.

When doing so there is no need to show 12 months seasoning of your funds, you only need to provide evidence that you have either 800k on your personal thai bank-account or at least 1 monthly transfer of 65K with foreign origins proven, at the moment of application.

Obviously, it would be wise to use a new bank-account when applying for that new Visa, so that IO might not stumble upon 'insufficient funds' in your old bank-book.

9 minutes ago, ragabob said:

Probably best to do that as soon as borders are open rather than wait until nearer Jan 2021.

No reason to do this earlier than just before your present permission to stay expires (January 2021).  IO has no means of knowing that you slipped under the 800K/400K tressholds UNLESS you provided them the evidence of that yourself by showing them your bank-book.

So just wait it out, and exit Thailand sometime convenient for you before your permission to stay expires (January 2021).

Just now, ragabob said:

Thank you Peter Dennis. I have opened a new account and have proof of funds from UK. I also have the roadmap you previously sent regarding application for non O.

So no need to worry Ragabob, by exiting and re-applying for a new Visa your situation will be normalized again and IO will never know of that accidental slip.