Obtaining a COE from Thai Embassy

I know there are a lot of uncertainties at the moment  -  but I will be travelling back to the UK and then Hopefully returning to Thailand Mid September.

My presumptions (heaven Forbid) at this moment, is that Thai spouses will be able to return to Thailand.

Looked at the Thai Embassy website and can not find any specific way of requesting a COE (certificate of Entry)

1)  Is there a website or link to apply for a COE  ( I already have a valid visa and re-entry permit) 

2) I take it a fit to fly certificate can be obtained from my local GP in the UK

3) I will be in Thailand for 8 months ( before I would cover this with  (some sort of backpacker yearly insurance) -  however with the FCO statement "essential travel" this nullifies a lot of travel insurance.  Does anybody know how I can obtain travel insurance for this period  -  if not I may have to look at private Health.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated 

regards

As you're asking about paperwork for entering Thailand, I'll move it to the Thai forum.

What is your status here?

You mention Thai spouses, do you mean spouses of Thais, or Thais who are who happen to be spouses of foreign nationals?

At the moment the number foreigners who can return, even with a re-entry permit, are very limited, I think many are currently overseas waiting for official announcements. 

• Like 1

The embassy in London has not bothered to post the requirements to get permission to enter the country for  those married to a Thai. There will be a application for the approval. At this time you would have to go to a approved hotel for a 14 day quarantine.

There is a small amount of info for Thais on the site.

Best to contact them about it. http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/

Unless you have to make the trip to the UK I would not even consider it at this time.

• Like 2

I am currently a man married to a Thai wife.

After spending lots of time investigating insurance and travel  it is going to be very difficult to get back to Thailand

without a lot of aggro

On another part of the question  - I have just received the following from my GP 

"We cannot do a fit to fly letter. If you want a covid test that will only show past infection. You can have a blood test but this would have to be paid for privately."

Is the past infection (Anti-body)  test good enough to satisfy the Thai Embassy ?? I had read in the news you can only currently have a Covid test if you show symptoms and I have seen online sites offering fit to fly certificates.

Which makes me wonder how UK people are currently satisfying the COE concerning Covid, unless an Anti-body tests are 

good enough ...   

regards 

Edited by oporhatch
more to add

A am sure it will require to a test for a covid 19 infection within 72 hours. The embassy may know where they can be obtained. They may have an arrangement with a doctor or hospital to do them and the fit to fly certificate.

1 hour ago, oporhatch said:

I see one site in the UK are offering Covid tests for £145....taking 2 to 3 days 

Link?

I have sent an email to the Thai Embassy asking them how to go about getting a COE, form for etc?

According to one Thai Embassy the following documents are required to be submitted in addition to others:

"A medical certificate stating that no COVID-19 (free health certificate) has been confirmed or issued no longer than 72 hours before departure.

A medical certificate confirming that Fit to Fly / Fit to Travel Health Certificate has been approved or issued for a period not exceeding 72 hours prior to travel.

Evidence of alternate detention in the Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) at their own expense (List of licensed hotels http://hsscovid.com)."

It is not clear if above have to be submitted when applying for COE. Another Thai Embassy does not require the above to be submitted when applying. 1st 2 would almost certainly be out of date when application is approved so there seems little point in submitting. Indeed it states "If a medical certificate The COVID-19-free Health Certificate and Fit to Fly / Fit to Travel Health Certificate are older than 72 hours before departure, travelers must submit a new medical certificate before receiving the COE."

Does anyone have any first hand experience of what they have done? 

So I have been looking into what is required, specifically for people from the UK, to get back into Thailand if you fit either the spousal or work permit categories and it's a scary amount of money:

Fit to fly certificate - IF you can get your GP to do it most will charge between 15 and 25GBP per letter (I say "per letter" because you have to have one to apply for permission to enter and depending on how long it takes the Thai embassy in theUK to respond you will most likely need to get a second one done to be within 72 hours of your depoarture.

Covid 19 report - Okay, unless you are "essential workers" which you are not, the chances of getting a test done in the UK are very slim. If you do manage to get one done by one of the testing centres please bear in mind you will be low priority and recent news from the UK is that the turnaround time for results has gone from 2 days to 5 days due to the numbers being tested. Alternatively you can buy a test kit for between 125 and 250 GBP, but again, you will need to get 2 tests in case of a slow response fromthe embassy. Also, the companies selling these tests average 2 - 3 days for results.

Flights - Likely to be more expensive than this time last year, assuming you can get one. I checked online for flights and for economy the cheapest was 481 GBP leaving on July 3rd, most flights were from 666 - 1437 GBP for economy.

Quarantine - So the current system for foreigners is Alternate Quarantine Centres at between 35,000 and 100,000 baht.

Doing the maths then - (Figures are in baht)

Fit to fly                     1920

Covid test result         9600

Quarantine                 35000

Flights                      18462

Total                        64,982  and that is assuming you get all the cheapest prices for flights, tests and quarantine facilities.  Bear in mind that if you don't get a flight until mid July there's a good chaance the cheaper quarantine facilities may be at or near capacity so you could find yourself paying a lot more for your 2 weeks.

Looking at the figures, I think, if it were me, I'd wait until September and see how the prices look.                   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, flinc2020 said:

So I have been looking into what is required, specifically for people from the UK, to get back into Thailand if you fit either the spousal or work permit categories and it's a scary amount of money:

Fit to fly certificate - IF you can get your GP to do it most will charge between 15 and 25GBP per letter (I say "per letter" because you have to have one to apply for permission to enter and depending on how long it takes the Thai embassy in theUK to respond you will most likely need to get a second one done to be within 72 hours of your depoarture.

Covid 19 report - Okay, unless you are "essential workers" which you are not, the chances of getting a test done in the UK are very slim. If you do manage to get one done by one of the testing centres please bear in mind you will be low priority and recent news from the UK is that the turnaround time for results has gone from 2 days to 5 days due to the numbers being tested. Alternatively you can buy a test kit for between 125 and 250 GBP, but again, you will need to get 2 tests in case of a slow response fromthe embassy. Also, the companies selling these tests average 2 - 3 days for results.

Flights - Likely to be more expensive than this time last year, assuming you can get one. I checked online for flights and for economy the cheapest was 481 GBP leaving on July 3rd, most flights were from 666 - 1437  the  for economy.

Quarantine - So the current system for foreigners is Alternate Quarantine Centres at between 35,000 and 100,000 baht.

Total                        64,982  and that is assuming you get all the cheapest prices for flights, tests and quarantine facilities.  Bear in mind that if you don't get a flight until mid July there's a good chaance the cheaper quarantine facilities may be at or near capacity so you could find yourself paying a lot more for your 2 weeks.

Looking at the figures, I think, if it were me, I'd wait until September and see how the prices look.                   

its catch 22 maybe in September prices will be lower or maybe in September the UK will be in 2nd lockdown with no flights in or out no-one knows

2 hours ago, flinc2020 said:

Flights - Likely to be more expensive than this time last year, assuming you can get one. I checked online for flights and for economy the cheapest was 481 GBP leaving on July 3rd, most flights were from 666 - 1437 GBP for economy.

Some of the current requirements exists because of the Emergency decree. If they extend the decree until July 31, we have to wait until (maybe) mid July for next announcement. Some requirements might disappear or change. 

The intention of the Thai authorities is clear: we do not want to make a decision on whom is allowed to enter Thailand because if anything goes wrong we might be responsible.

Therefore all conditions can be arbitrarily be changed, modified or intensified. If you need "a fit to fly" certificate which is easy to get they may request a COVID test. If you need an insurance covering 100.000 US$ they will ask you to specify that the insurance will cover COVID (which ALL insurances do as it is a virus infection).

My work permit expired in May but was extended in time during my absence which was confirmed that this is possible and stamp will be fixed once I am back.

As I needed to take my WP with me to show at check-in when going back the stamp of extension was not fixed in my book.

Thai consulate rejected my application for COE because the stamp is not fixed in my book.

Anyhow, conditions change daily and I am curious what will happen the next few days when they announce opening the airport.... or not?

Information as I have it: 

The Thai Embassy in the UK have not responded directly to e-mails. 

I have been informed (through a contact) that: 

1) There is no provision for Foreigners to travel to Thailand on repatriation flights at this time.

2) There may be provision for Foreigners to travel to Thailand on on repatriation flights after July (I’m assuming after the 1st July) - This is not solely limited to ’spouses’ but those with a solid reason to return to Thailand (The ’spouse’ part of it is a clumsy and lazy interpretation from the original discussions which has grown legs, info-graphics have also used ’spouse’ - Nothing is set in stone yet. 

It is expected that the process for foreigners when would be similar current process for Thai’s, which is as follows with some minor documented differences: 

1) E-mail the Thai Embassy the following (depending which route you want to take):

- Scan of Passport (ID page and Visa Page) 

Plus one or all of the following: 

- Scan Marriage Certificate

- Scan of Yellow House Book & Pink ID card 

- Scan of Childs Birth Certificate (with your name on it)

2) You are then placed in a queue and informed which Thai Airways flight you are on when available. 

3) You Call up Thai Airways and pay for your ticket for the specific flight you have been placed on. 

4) You obtain a ‘fit to fly’ certificate (72 hrs before departure) - this must be shown at the Airport upon checkin

5) You obtain a ‘Covid-19 free’ certificate (72 hrs before departure) - this must be shown at the Airport upon checkin

6) Upon arrival in Thailand you are allocated an ‘ASQ’ (Alternate State Quarantine) - You should be able to choose (based on availability). 

This is what I’ve been told. It's different from ‘other information’ which has been posted by members of this forum. 

I don’t know what is accurate and what is not. As is common with ’Thai’ things, it seems the information given to us is inconsistent and probably a result of individual interpretation of the person providing said information. 

At the moment it seems there is no official concise clear cut application process - I doubt there will be. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

At the moment it seems there is no official concise clear cut application process - I doubt there will be

The embassy in the US has info and a online application for it.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/06/24/29717/

Online application is here  https://thaiembdc.org/onlinevisaapplication/ There is choice of 2 visa categories when you click visa type. Both show a infographic about them when you select them.

• Like 1

From the embassy in the US

- Before the Embassy issues the Certificate of Entry (COE), the applicant must upload the travel plan (confirmed Air  ticket with proof of payment), health certificate (Fit to Fly 72 hours before departure date), health certificate (test negative for COVID-19) issued no more than 72 hours before departure date, and confirmation of ASQ.

*** The applicant must arrange their own 14-day Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ) at their own expenses. More information, including list of permitted hotels (in Thai) can be found here at http://hsscovid.com/ or Royal Thai Embassy’s website .***

5- At the departure airport, the approved applicant is required to present

(1) A “Certificate of Entry into the Kingdom of Thailand” issued by The Royal Thai Embassy.

(2) A health insurance covering all expenditures of medical treatment, including COVID-19, while traveling to Thailand in an amount of at least 100,000 USD.

(3) A Covid-free Health Certificate (test negative for COVID-19) issued no more than 72 hours before departure.

(4) A ‘Fit to Fly Health Certificate’ issued no more than 72 hours before departure

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/06/22/foreignerswithnono/

This came from the Thai Embassy London this morning

Required documents for application of entry permit are:

Your passport copy and your spouse’s passport copy

1. Copy of marriage certificate
  2. Copy of air ticket (may need to change flight if approval is granted with delay)
  3. Covid-free heath certificate (this must be submitted with your request,  and has to be within 72 hours before flight departure – so you may need another test if approval is granted with delay, making the 72 hours period lapse) 
  4. Fit to fly health certificate (this must be submitted with your request,  and has to be within 72 hours before flight departure – so you may need another test if approval is granted with delay, making the 72 hours period lapse)
  5. Copy of health insurance policy which covers COVID related medical treatment and coverage of no less than 100,000 USD
  6. Hotel booking for Alternate State Quarantine (ASQ) at one of the approved hotels. You may look at this page for example.

<removed link>

1. Declaration form (see attached file)

It is not as easy as it appear in the news. Once approved, then you can apply for visa later.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed link to Bangkok Post (forum rule)

There are flights in and out of #Thailand every day. However, if you’re flying in, you must have a Certificate of Entry issued by a Thai embassy if you want to get off the plane. There are both commercial and repatriation flights leaving Thailand every day.

Any idea how much 100,000 dollar insurance policy would be, and validity (i.e. one year or do you only need a short period)? I presume also depends on age. I could see the cost of getting back into Thailand could in total (assuming extra tests, maybe change flight date, and insurance) could easily come to nearly 100,000 baht ....????

I know it is not the same....we just went thru the process of returning my wife and daughter back to Thailand (both have thai/cad passports).

Although not "easy" the process was pretty straight forward. 

Speaking with the Consulate General in Vancouver they have been given no directive as of today from the Thai Government. Any information would be speculative. He did say an update was expected on Monday 29June. 

One thing we found was there was no need to produce a covid19 test. The fit to fly letter consisted of a doctor asking basic questions and a temperature check. 

They are currently in quarantine in Bangkok at the Palace Hotel. She has inquired about spouses being able to return and was advised that the hotel was gearing up for added arrivals for July. The immigration official she spoke with yesterday during her first covid test also mentioned he was getting prepared for dealing with additional arrivals for July. 

I suspect details will be announced on Monday. IF the process is similar to what we just went thru it may not be as strenuous as being reported. In parts of Canada they have drive thru covid testing areas in which you can get results within 24 hours and in some cases 6.

As well travel insurance is still possible. The catch is that Canada has a level 3 advisory. So it bans non-essential travel in or out. So Travel Insurance is not available. However if one gets a COE letter it covers one for being classified as essential travel. In which case Travel Medical Insurance may be purchased. Albeit at a slightly higher premium. I inquired at a local travel agent and they did call the provider and they did indicate they are still selling medical insurance as there are still people travelling for essential travel. Just not for tourism purposes. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2020 at 7:01 PM, oporhatch said:

I am currently a man married to a Thai wife.

After spending lots of time investigating insurance and travel  it is going to be very difficult to get back to Thailand without a lot of aggro   

"however with the FCO statement "essential travel" this nullifies a lot of travel insurance."

That may change shortly.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/travel-quarantine-coronavirus-flights-holidays-foreign-office-end-when-a9588611.html

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

On 6/26/2020 at 10:57 AM, richard_smith237 said:

At the moment it seems there is no official concise clear cut application process - I doubt there will be

The embassy in the US has info and a online application for it.

https://thaiembdc.org/2020/06/24/29717/

Online application is here  https://thaiembdc.org/onlinevisaapplication/ There is choice of 2 visa categories when you click visa type. Both show a infographic about them when you select them.

Yet nothing on the UK Thai Embassy page...

inconsistency all around. 

21 hours ago, SODS said:

This came from the Thai Embassy London this morning

Required documents for application of entry permit are:

Your passport copy and your spouse’s passport copy

1. Copy of marriage certificate
  2. Copy of air ticket (may need to change flight if approval is granted with delay)
  3. Covid-free heath certificate (this must be submitted with your request,  and has to be within 72 hours before flight departure – so you may need another test if approval is granted with delay, making the 72 hours period lapse) 
  4. Fit to fly health certificate (this must be submitted with your request,  and has to be within 72 hours before flight departure – so you may need another test if approval is granted with delay, making the 72 hours period lapse)
  5. Copy of health insurance policy which covers COVID related medical treatment and coverage of no less than 100,000 USD
  6. Hotel booking for Alternate State Quarantine (ASQ) at one of the approved hotels. You may look at this page for example.

<removed link>

1. Declaration form (see attached file)

It is not as easy as it appear in the news. Once approved, then you can apply for visa later.

Which email address did you contact them [the UK Thai Embassy] ?