Armed Canadian man arrested after driving truck through gates near PM Trudeau's Ottawa residence

webfact

Armed Canadian man arrested after driving truck through gates near PM Trudeau's Ottawa residence

By David Ljunggren

2020-07-02T155458Z_1_LYNXMPEG611JF_RTROPTP_4_CANADA-POLICE.JPG

A police officer guards the front gate to Rideau Hall, and the grounds where Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau lives, after an armed man was apprehended on the property early this morning in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada July 2, 2020. REUTERS/Patrick Doyle

OTTAWA (Reuters) - An armed member of the Canadian military drove a truck through gates protecting an exclusive part of Ottawa where Prime Minister Justin Trudeau lives on Thursday but was quickly arrested, police said.

Trudeau was not home at the time. He and his family are based in a large house on the grounds of Rideau Hall, the residence of Governor General Julie Payette, the official representative of head of state Queen Elizabeth. Rideau Hall sits on an 88-acre (0.35 square km) wooded estate.

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) said the man's truck broke down after he smashed it through two gates at 6:30 a.m. Eastern Time (1030 GMT).

"The armed suspect then proceeded on foot on the grounds of Rideau Hall ... where he was rapidly contained by RCMP members who were on patrol," it said in a statement.

"(He) was apprehended shortly before 8:30 a.m. without any incident and he was brought into police custody for questioning," it added, saying charges were pending.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corp cited a source as saying the man had driven his truck from the central province of Manitoba, some 2,000 km (1,240 miles) east of Ottawa.

Trudeau, 48, who is married with three children, also has access to a summer house about 22 miles (35 km) northwest of Ottawa. Payette was not at Rideau Hall when the incident occurred, police said.

Unlike the United States, where four presidents have been assassinated since 1865, there is little history of serious violence targeting officials in Canada.

The one exception was in 1970, when a radical group seeking independence for Quebec kidnapped the Canadian province's deputy premier and later killed him.

Trudeau donned a bulletproof vest for an election campaign rally in October last year after officials detected a security threat.

(Reporting by David Ljunggren; Editing by Bernadette Baum and Aurora Ellis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-07-03

• Haha 1

Pretty poor editing in this article. Even I, a non-Canadian, know that Manitoba, a central province is WEST of Ottawa, not EAST. 2000km east of Ottawa and you're somewhere out in the North Atlantic.

Doubtful this guy came on a boat from the frigid waters halfway between Canada and Iceland to go to Trudeau's house.

Edited by drbeach
  • Thanks 1

This may be pure speculation on my part (it is), but the soldier who attempted to have a face-to-face conversation with the guy who is (temporarily) the PM of Canada may well have been disgusted by all the hypocrisy coming out of Ottawa about Trudeau's "take a knee" solidarity with the BLM movement, when all of Canada knows that their "inclusive" PM was once a happy Black-Face-camper when he was a young guy and didn't know better.

From Wokeville to Pukeville....enough to make any red-blooded Canadian angry beyond reason.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

2000kms is a long way, for me, anyway. Perhaps not for a Canadian. It does smack of some element of planning though. And it does seem that Manitoba is around northwest of Ottawa.

Having said that, I think he was lucky to have just been arrested....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JCauto said:

No, you do however condone institutionalized racism and police brutality. And you're always happy to give a wink and a nod to the perpetrators of violence on the far Right, who by the way are the main sources of both domestic terrorism and in the setting off of the looting. And yes, you care much more about the property of wealthy people than the lives of the poor.

You're a close friend of Canuckamuck are you?  You seem to know an awful lot about his inner thought processes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'm taking bets on; He's a crazy-as-a-loon white supremacist! Any takers ?

Where are all these white supremacists everyone is so afraid of?  I have never encountered one in my residency in three different countries. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blazes said:

This may be pure speculation on my part (it is), but the soldier who attempted to have a face-to-face conversation with the guy who is (temporarily) the PM of Canada may well have been disgusted by all the hypocrisy coming out of Ottawa about Trudeau's "take a knee" solidarity with the BLM movement, when all of Canada knows that their "inclusive" PM was once a happy Black-Face-camper when he was a young guy and didn't know better.

From Wokeville to Pukeville....enough to make any red-blooded Canadian angry beyond reason.

Well if he was not disgusted by the hypocrisy I have had my fill of politically correct virtue signaling from Trudeau.  It’s time we have done with this clown.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JCauto said:

No, you do however condone institutionalized racism and police brutality. And you're always happy to give a wink and a nod to the perpetrators of violence on the far Right, who by the way are the main sources of both domestic terrorism and in the setting off of the looting. And yes, you care much more about the property of wealthy people than the lives of the poor.

Well there is a bunch of nonsense. Hard to separate the mistruths from the full on delusions in that attempt at defamation

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JCauto said:

Perish the thought! While I do have many friends of different political persuasion, those who have gone off the deep end are not amongst them. 

While not privy to his innermost thoughts (thank goodness), he has been generous enough to share them over the years in his posts and I think you would agree with me that he has a very strong Right-wing viewpoint which includes numerous statements to the effect that he doesn't believe systemic racism exists, that the protesters should be subject to violence from the authoritehs and that property damage is far more important than the lives of the black people  being oppressed by the Police. Are you of the opinion that these statements are not true? Let me know which one, and I'll see how long it takes for me to find a direct quotation that proves it.

I used to be a liberal, until the line moved and now my liberal ideas, like minimal government interference, and freedom of expression, and diversity of thought got pushed to the right of the spectrum.

I haven't changed, the definitions have.

But I do not see systematic racism, that is true. But I don't live in America either. America is obsessed with race. There is a lot of political capital in polarization in America. That is very sad.

I hate violence though. Therefore I do not believe people have the right to violent protests. People bringing weapons to a rally deserve whatever happens. That is for any side of the political spectrum.

Never have I said material things are more important than peoples lives. But the destruction of neighborhoods in American cities certainly has destroyed people's lives, many of them are black lives.

You believe any thought you don't agree with is hate speech. And anyone thinking different, a violent threat. That is an the attitude that fosters totalitarianism.

Your negative depiction of me is colored by your hatred of my wrongthink. I will never incite violence or oppose your right to your ideas. I will point out where your ideas are wrong though.

Edited by canuckamuck
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

I used to be a liberal, until the line moved and now my liberal ideas, like minimal government interference, and freedom of expression, and diversity of thought got pushed to the right of the spectrum.

I haven't changed, the definitions have.

But I do not see systematic racism, that is true. But I don't live in America either. America is obsessed with race. There is a lot of political capital in polarization in America. That is very sad.

I hate violence though. Therefore I do not believe people have the right to violent protests. People bringing weapons to a rally deserve whatever happens. That is for any side of the political spectrum.

Never have I said material things are more important than peoples lives. But the destruction of neighborhoods in American cities certainly has destroyed people's lives, many of them are black lives.

You believe any thought you don't agree with is hate speech. And anyone thinking different, a violent threat. That is an the attitude that fosters totalitarianism.

Your negative depiction of me is colored by your hatred of my wrongthink. I will never incite violence or oppose your right to your ideas. I will point out where your ideas are wrong though.

Then you're holding to the older (and actually correct) definition of "liberal", before it somehow came to mean practically the opposite. This is an other problem with labels. That you don't see systemic racism is not unusual since I presume you're not a visible minority - what I don't understand is not believing or acknowledging the clearly held viewpoints and experiences of those who are.

The protests were peaceful - there were a minority of those who took advantage of it whether for personal gain or to sow division who started the looting, and the actual violence with protesters separate from looting seems much more on the police side than the protester side. Which was kind of the point. I agree with you about those bringing weapons to rallies being irresponsible and deserving whatever happens to them. You will have noted however that the weapons were almost exclusively used by the Right-wing "stop the lockdown" crowd.

I don't believe any thought disagreeing with mine is hate speech, nor that anyone else thinking different is a violent threat. Your response here seems much more measured than the other posts I have observed. I hope that this is more reflective of the sort of person that you are.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Don't know about that. But he's certainly a crazy right winger:

"CBC News Manitoba also reported that roughly an hour before Hurren entered the Rideau Hall grounds, a Facebook page associated with his Grindhouse Fine Foods business posted a meme of a big outdoor party that would supposedly occur after the lockdown.

The post also directs people to look up "Event 201," a worldwide pandemic preparedness exercise run last year that conspiracy theorists now use to suggest Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is behind COVID-19.

Other posts from Hurren's business poke fun at the hardships and fears spawned by the pandemic."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/rideau-hall-intruder-latest-1.5636011

Not a full time army member. Just a reservist. His day job is as a butcher. His specialty is making sausage. 

On 7/2/2020 at 9:05 PM, canuckamuck said:

Gee, Alberta almost had a chance at economic recovery

Was its premier Jason Kenney going to resign?  Don't blame Trudeau for the bottom falling out on  dirty oil prices.  Maybe if Alberta refined its oil instead of giving it to the Americans for below market prices it would have jobs and a product that the other provinces need and want.

As a reminder, Trudeau has 3 young children who live in the cottage on the grounds and they often play on the grounds. Payette has a nice teenage boy who lives at Rideau Hall with her.  I don't think normal people would want to see  children  put in harm's way.

20 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

And you are correct.  His Facebook posts are typical of what we see here in TVF: Covid  is a hoax and was planned by the government. He  seems to be  against  vaccination  to control Covid19.  

It seems he is mentally ill. Fortunately, rather than being trigger happy, the cops talked to him for an hour or so and he surrendered. 

1 hour ago, johnpetersen said:

Don't know about that. But he's certainly a crazy right winger:

"CBC News Manitoba also reported that roughly an hour before Hurren entered the Rideau Hall grounds, a Facebook page associated with his Grindhouse Fine Foods business posted a meme of a big outdoor party that would supposedly occur after the lockdown.

The post also directs people to look up "Event 201," a worldwide pandemic preparedness exercise run last year that conspiracy theorists now use to suggest Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates is behind COVID-19.

Other posts from Hurren's business poke fun at the hardships and fears spawned by the pandemic."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/rideau-hall-intruder-latest-1.5636011

Ah, only a "crazy right winger" would object to lockdowns????

Anyone, right or left, could quite reasonably object to the deprivation of freedom involved in lock-downs, especially since they tend not to be "approved" by votes of provincial legislatures or the House of Commons.  (Commons???  I've heard the word....)

See how easy it is to have your head fked about by Pravda (aka, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, blazes said:

Ah, only a "crazy right winger" would object to lockdowns????

Anyone, right or left, could quite reasonably object to the deprivation of freedom involved in lock-downs, especially since they tend not to be "approved" by votes of provincial legislatures or the House of Commons.  (Commons???  I've heard the word....)

See how easy it is to have your head fked about by Pravda (aka, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation).

Only a crazy right winger would be linking to conspiracy theories about the genesis of Covid-19

1 hour ago, JCauto said:

Then you're holding to the older (and actually correct) definition of "liberal", before it somehow came to mean practically the opposite. This is an other problem with labels. That you don't see systemic racism is not unusual since I presume you're not a visible minority - what I don't understand is not believing or acknowledging the clearly held viewpoints and experiences of those who are.

The protests were peaceful - there were a minority of those who took advantage of it whether for personal gain or to sow division who started the looting, and the actual violence with protesters separate from looting seems much more on the police side than the protester side. Which was kind of the point. I agree with you about those bringing weapons to rallies being irresponsible and deserving whatever happens to them. You will have noted however that the weapons were almost exclusively used by the Right-wing "stop the lockdown" crowd.

I don't believe any thought disagreeing with mine is hate speech, nor that anyone else thinking different is a violent threat. Your response here seems much more measured than the other posts I have observed. I hope that this is more reflective of the sort of person that you are.

Mate, you doubtless mean well, but don't you see how condescending or patronising those last two sentences are?

As for the protestors being peaceful...well, it would seem you have only been watching CNN (the American Pravda). Have you not seen those masked crazies going right up to the cops (standing peacefully there) and shouting the most foul abuse at them, with the cops just having to stand there and pretend it ain't happening???

Who'd be a cop with masked yahoos like that spitting their mental illness into guys just trying to do their jobs.  And incidentally, how about the "peaceful protestors" who confronted the idiot Seattle mayor in front of her home, the woman who suddenly saw how much she needed a police force, having abandoned the guys to the sickos in CHAZ?CHOP???  Peaceful suddenly becomes moronic aggro when it's right outside your home.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1