Here’s Why Thailand’s Dire Economic Outlook Is the Worst in Asia

webfact

13 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

and still they want to pretend they handled the situation the best in the world

next time, maybe it is worth more to get rid of 10.000 sick people than to kill the economy

they even released convicted criminals

Sad noises from 10 000 people and their families in the background....

However from a purely technical and rational point of view i can understand your post

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

When GDP is set to decline 8.1%, does that mean the THB will finally adjust to a more realistic exchange rate than it is now?

Not if P C-O-C has anyhting to do with it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wealthychef said:

To add further perspective, that table and these projections are based on very shaky "one-hit" scenarios that seem overly optimistic to me.  

If you want the forecast to include the possibility of a second wave, how about it includes the possibility of a miracle cure vaccine next month!

Like any forecast it's based on what we know today, not on things that could or might happen in the future. If those future events are realised, a new forecast will be compiled.

1 hour ago, somtumwrong said:

Now but where is the drug dealer in that picture? The international heroine courier. Fake pic I guess. Maybe busy handing out bananas..

"The international heroine courier."?

Sorry, not being pedantic, or Grammar Police, but it made me chuckle!:-

her·o·ine
a woman admired or idealized for her courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.
  1. "she was the heroine of a materialist generation"

Edited by sambum

1 hour ago, Trillian said:

I disagree that it is that. The productivity of a country is reflected in its GDP, if GDP increases it doesn't mean the currency will also strengthen. The strength of a currency is determined by a series of factors including the amount of debt owed by the country, its foreign currency reserve levels and the status of its current account. If the the current account (and trade balance) are in surplus it means the country exports more than it imports so the positive balance will go to increase foreign reserves. All those things are true in the case of Thailand which is why THB remains strong.

Thanks, a very good detailed response. However I stand by my position that productivity is a serious factor in the value of currency. If you are not exporting then money is simply going in a circle and it does not gain value.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DonaldBattles said:

The value of currency is a product of the productivity of the nation. A serious drop in productivity will result in a drop in the currency. Unless, the BOT decides to protect the currency  value. Most military would be opposed to a big drop in value.

No,it’s rather more complicated than that including interest rates,current account surplus/defecit etc etc