Car repair paid by insurance but outside their affiliated channel shops

samtab

hello,

when having an accident insurances companies usually want that you fix at a garage where they have a contract / partnership, but it's not an obligation.

Usually to paint a car there is a long queue and if you do not want to wait, you can go anywhere you want, but you must pay first and get refunded later.

Has anybody done it ? Do insurance companies make it difficult to refund you ? or as soon as they have approved the repair price, they will refund quickly after fixing the car ?

Thank you.

I have been caught out at least twice by this.

Once our car's insurance sent it to be painted at a local Somchai shop and the white car came back looking like a zebra! 

Twice I was hit by others while riding my motorbike. The first time the other driver's insurance had my bike fixed badly by a Somchai. The second time the guy who hit me was in a Coca Cola vehicle and I ade it clear to his insurance that I wanted my (then new) bike fixed by Yamaha. Well, he promised and when I went there it was another Somchai place! And they did a terrible job, three times!

It really depends on your policy and the type of accident... oh and the age of your car because now we have a decent policy but no longer able to get a main dealer to paint it.

• Like 2

The insurance company deals with more than one repair shop and some are dealership owned. Preferences are given to repair shops that minimize the cost to the insurer. Generally that won't be in your favor.

If you become an awkward customer, they'll provide alternatives for you to  select. 

A few years ago our daughters car was repaired at the local main dealership for Honda. It was on the list and I took a look at the facility before selecting. Her car was a Nissan. They did an excellent job.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...