Google Earth.

NoshowJones

Anyone know what has happened to Google Earth, or is it just me? On ground level you used to be able to scroll down the roads after clicking on the wee man near the top right hand corner of your screen.

This does not work any more for me as it keeps going off course, anyone else have this problem?

39 minutes ago, 2long said:

It doesn't work in all countries and on some small islands.

Just use Google maps instead. It's easier.

It has really got worse over the past few years, ie you used to be able to go to street view go farther along then back then back to the same street, try doing that now.

• Like 2

On 7/12/2020 at 9:29 AM, 2long said:

It doesn't work in all countries and on some small islands.

Just use Google maps instead. It's easier.

In some countries the government has, in their wisdom, forbidden Google to enable the Street View function in some locations. In Switzerland, for example, this prohibition applies to prisons, police stations, court buildings, churches, schools, brothels and other "delicate" places, even with the faces of people pixelated or smudged.

On 7/12/2020 at 12:27 PM, possum1931 said:

you used to be able to scroll down the roads

I noticed that the other day, you used to be able to click on the yellow line along road and you would advance down it, I can still use the mouse wheel but it's too slow. Some badly thought out 'improvement', the yellow line has gone, replaced with two white arrows, but clicking on the arrow doesn't advance you when ideally it should. Hopefully a future update will rectify.

• Like 1

I was just "cruising" down one of the downtown streets of Loei in street view. In one little stretch. 12 out of 13 motorbike riders didn't have a helmet.  The street passing the police station was about the same.

46 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

I was just "cruising" down one of the downtown streets of Loei in street view. In one little stretch. 12 out of 13 motorbike riders didn't have a helmet.  The street passing the police station was about the same.

2:30am and you’re looking at Thai people not wearing helmets on google... get a grip, mate.

2 hours ago, lust said:

2:30am and you’re looking at Thai people not wearing helmets on google... get a grip, mate.

I'm about 8,600 miles away in USA.  Daylight here, 11 hours difference with daylight saving time. And I enjoy looking around the streets of the town that I walked 40+ years ago. I have relatives and friends there. With Google, I can see our house and that of relatives, shops of my wife's old friends and all that.

Hey, a year or two ago, TV had a news blurb about some gal that drove her car nearly into a shop on Ruam Jai Road, where I used to work.   I found it on Google.  She nailed a guy sweeping the steps, and took out the 2 concrete benches in front.  Left turns are hard.

image.png.2e0d58bfdc13d18581f99f4f7c83975c.png

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

But most of them did wear a face mask?

On 7/15/2020 at 3:35 AM, Maestro said:

In some countries the government has, in their wisdom, forbidden Google to enable the Street View function in some locations. In Switzerland, for example, this prohibition applies to prisons, police stations, court buildings, churches, schools, brothels and other "delicate" places, even with the faces of people pixelated or smudged.

Thanks, I would assume Thailand is one of these countries.

Edited by possum1931

On 7/12/2020 at 3:11 PM, possum1931 said:

It has really got worse over the past few years, ie you used to be able to go to street view go farther along then back then back to the same street, try doing that now.

Google maps is certainly not easier, I tried but cannot get on to it.

What I do like about Google maps that Earth doesn't have is the close up function. 

I have just been on Google Earth , pressed the help button and found a " Launch Repair Tool "

I opened it and this appears.1645055545_Screenshot2020-07-18at15_10_58.thumb.png.3967740144853ed7a597d293451d16fe.png

So I pressed Clear Disc Cache or any of the others , and this appears..If you close the app down how are you supposed to recall the Repair tool ?933110557_Screenshot2020-07-18at15_12_27.thumb.png.bd48185c63ff02297e16deb95e6decf6.png

Edited by NE1

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

No.

I never noticed major black holes or the like.

Only faces, car plates etc. pixelated like everywhere else.

If you want to see useless street views "go to" Germany (major cities).

Complete blocks of boring appartement houses hidden due to paranoid data protection laws that allowed x-thousands to request hiding "their" house even if they were only tenants.

Google gave up on Germany. Age old street view from 2008.

How do you like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/79aFTgQ9AnU7tgru7

https://goo.gl/maps/BZ17eYKChQovCiXL9

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

No.

I never noticed major black holes or the like.

Only faces, car plates etc. pixelated like everywhere else.

If you want to see useless street views "go to" Germany (major cities).

Complete blocks of boring appartement houses hidden due to paranoid data protection laws that allowed x-thousands to request hiding "their" house even if they were only tenants.

Google gave up on Germany. Age old street view from 2008.

How do you like this:

https://goo.gl/maps/79aFTgQ9AnU7tgru7

https://goo.gl/maps/BZ17eYKChQovCiXL9

Paranoid xxxxxxx. 

Says a lot about TVF too! Makes it easier to understand the 'attitudes'

The more crooked you are, the more you need to hide.

Edited by ravip

7 hours ago, scammed said:

when i press fly to my location i end up in laem chabang tens of kilometers away from where i am

Maybe you're confused, and don't realize you're really...

Actually, Google being Google, uses trickery to identify your location. If you are using a WiFi connection and anyone connects an android smartphone with GPS capabilities enabled, or nearest Cellular Tower, then Google slurps that data and forever associates it with the WiFi Access Point SSID MAC Address. Anyone using it afterward can then have their location known by Google applications. Otherwise, they (or anyone not being Google) use Internet provider filed documents associated with the 'assigned block' your current working public facing IP address falls within to generalize your location ...so if the paperwork filed 20 years ago say the IP was assigned to Laem Chabang then you're in Laem Chabang. 

On 7/18/2020 at 2:33 PM, possum1931 said:

Thailand has some of the most extensive street view coverage. Some countries block it like Germany, China, India and others have very limited cover like Vietnam and Myanmar.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

Thailand has some of the most extensive street view coverage. Some countries block it like Germany, China, India and others have very limited cover like Vietnam and Myanmar.

I have used street view on Google maps many times for Frankfurt Germany and used Earth today and it was excellent.  So some cities in Germany have coverage.

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

I have used street view on Google maps many times for Frankfurt Germany and used Earth today and it was excellent.  So some cities in Germany have coverage.

Yes, some big cities in Germany but 99% of country doesn't, I think the Germans went off they idea as soon as Google started taking photos and noting wifi signals. If you hover your mouse over any Google Map you can see whats covered in real time with all the blue street lines.

StreetView.jpg.5eb440c139ecd30d6d6159ef8b326999.jpg