How to legally marry in thailand

phka

I'm a British man and my partner is thai lady. 

Can anyone tell me the procedure in getting married that would be legal in England and Thailand. we have been together 20 years and have a 17 year old child together. 

Guess I'm a bit of a slow mover haha

5 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

You have a nice face for marriage so I'm happy to kick it off.

Do you want to marry in LOS or UK?  It doesn't matter if you marry in LOS or the UK, the marriage will automatically be legally recognised in both.

Automatically? I don’t think so. You have to register it at the UK embassy/consulate in Thailand if the wedding took place in Thailand and vice versa.

Must be a UK service then. So you say Thai authorities inform the UK authorities about the marriage abroad. Surely not true for most Schengen countries. For us it was a manual process to get registered in my home country too.

5 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

No communication required between states.  You're married, end of.

Sure, you are married either way. But how can you apply for instance for a spouse visa whilst not registered in the UK. Do you show your Thai marriage certificate in Thai script? We needed an excerpt of the civil registry.

1 minute ago, torturedsole said:

Yes, Thai version and translated certified version chopped by MFA.   

Ok, and how is inheritance and pension handled in the UK if not registered?

15 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

There is no registration available.  

Sorry for the confusion caused. Sometimes I just forget that the UK is so much different from the rest of the world.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, innosiem said:

best to call the Amphur you plan to use to see what they require
this is an official marriage (not the village ceremony)

That is absolutely what you must do.  If they follow the letter of the law, you should also have a translator present unless you are fluent in Thai - some want this some don't.  One of your witnesses can also be the translator. You may need to book at some Amphurs as only the manager can register Thai/Foreigner marriages so there are limited slots per day. Bookings are a must popular amphurs such as Bang Rak for example.

As for the legality of your marriage, as others have said - a legally registered marriage in Thailand is accepted as legal in the UK. There is absolutely no necessity to register that marriage elsewhere. For future needs in the UK - a certified translation is accpeted for most purposes. For some matters it may be necessary for your Thai marriage certificate and registration (KR2 & KR3) notarised

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/12/2020 at 11:14 PM, CLS said:

Automatically? I don’t think so. You have to register it at the UK embassy/consulate in Thailand if the wedding took place in Thailand and vice versa.

Want to marry in Thailand 

OP.... Firstly congratulations on eventually deciding to take the plunge and marry your long term partner.

As someone has already mentioned, and I would fully endorse, you should visit the amphur where you propose to marry and enquire what documents that they require.  This is because undoubtedly each amphur will have its own list of requirements and you want to be sure that when you arrive there to get married you have all the correct documents and don't have your day ruined because you missed something which they require.

What you will need (in all cases) is an Affirmation of Marital Status certified by the British Embassy.  If you go to the Embassy link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand you will find all the details of what you need to obtain the affirmation.  You may also need a certified copy of your passport which can be done at the same time - some Amphurs require this, some don't.

Once you have obtained the certified Affirmation of Marital Status (and certified copy of passport if required) from the British Embassy you will need to get the affirmation translated into Thai and have then have the Thai translation certified by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) in Bangkok.  FYI -  some translation services can arrange (at an additional cost) to have their translation certified by the MFA.

As for having your marriage registered in the UK, if you read Q14 in the Guidance Notes & Q&A provided in the link I which I have provided above you will see that there is no requirement or facility to do this in the UK. You will need to keep a copy of your local Thai marriage certificate as evidence of your marriage.  FYI - You used to be able to register your marriage by presenting a copy of your marriage certificate and MFA certified English translation of the marriage certificate to the British Embassy who would then forward it to the UK Registrar General Office, but this is no longer required as your Thai marriage certificate is accepted in the UK (I suggest that you still get it translated into English and certified by MFA as most Brits back in the UK will have no idea what the certificate says).

Best of luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations

We got married over 10 years ago in Banglamung

I have never registered that in the UK, but my wife has got visa’s to the UK, showing Thai and English translation documents  

It obviously helped that she changed her family name to mine, Thai ID card, Driving license passport etc.

Best thing I’ve ever done

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 007 RED said:

OP.... Firstly congratulations on eventually deciding to take the plunge and marry your long term partner.

As someone has already mentioned, and I would fully endorse, you should visit the amphur where you propose to marry and enquire what documents that they require.  This is because undoubtedly each amphur will have its own list of requirements and you want to be sure that when you arrive there to get married you have all the correct documents and don't have your day ruined because you missed something which they require.

What you will need (in all cases) is an Affirmation of Marital Status certified by the British Embassy.  If you go to the Embassy link https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/information-for-british-nationals-intending-to-marry-in-thailand you will find all the details of what you need to obtain the affirmation.  You may also need a certified copy of your passport which can be done at the same time - some Amphurs require this, some don't.

Once you have obtained the certified Affirmation of Marital Status (and certified copy of passport if required) from the British Embassy you will need to get the affirmation translated into Thai and have then have the Thai translation certified by the Consular Division of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) in Bangkok.  FYI -  some translation services can arrange (at an additional cost) to have their translation certified by the MFA.

As for having your marriage registered in the UK, if you read Q14 in the Guidance Notes & Q&A provided in the link I which I have provided above you will see that there is no requirement or facility to do this in the UK. You will need to keep a copy of your local Thai marriage certificate as evidence of your marriage.  FYI - You used to be able to register your marriage by presenting a copy of your marriage certificate and MFA certified English translation of the marriage certificate to the British Embassy who would then forward it to the UK Registrar General Office, but this is no longer required as your Thai marriage certificate is accepted in the UK (I suggest that you still get it translated into English and certified by MFA as most Brits back in the UK will have no idea what the certificate says).

Best of luck.

well,  that is certainly a lot "clearer than mud" ..... as the OP has so put others comments.

I don't see a thank you from him......  

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2020 at 8:01 PM, rumak said:
On 7/12/2020 at 5:55 PM, torturedsole said:

completely pointless exercise

my definition of marriage exactly..........

Firstly you’ve misquoted torturedsole by clipping his post. 

On 7/12/2020 at 5:55 PM, torturedsole said:

There used to be a facility whereby you could register your foreign marriage in the UK but was completely pointless exercise and is no longer available.

Each to their own. But I have found Marriage to be extremely useful. 

- When applying for a mortgage for a nice house and supporting my Wife’s application with my overseas income. \

- Being the legal father of my child, listed on the Birth Certificate immediately without any further legal complications (married before his birth)

- When travelling to countries such as the UAE where by law couples need to be married to co-habit (not really a major issue as hotels let this go - but its still the law)

- Marriage will also be useful when applying for a spouse visa (if moving back to your home country) as you don’t need to prove longevity of a common-law partnership (min 2 years). 

- And finally, most recently when applying for a Certificate of Entry to Thailand under Covid-19 lockdown. Returning to Thailand would not be possible for me under the current restrictions without being married (and having a Marriage certificate).

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sead said:

Very hard to believe that Th shares marriage info. If I marry in Th then I need to hand over papers to Swedish embassy in Bkk and then after some weeks  we are also married in Sweden

Registration of marriage is not the same as marriage - you are married once you obtain marriage certificate from amphur.  That certificate is your proof of marriage.  Other countries can have requirements for registration of that marriage for specific purposes but the fact is you are married with or without doing anything else.  There is no need for Thailand to share anything - if you want to prove marriage you show the Thai marriage certificate (and/or legalized copies/translations if required).

Procedure:

You visit your Embassy for freedom to marry letter (your Embassy determines what is required for that - from simple statement of being single/bio data/employment/salary to government proof some may require).  Previous marriage paperwork normally also required.

You have that letter translated into Thai and registers as an official document at MFA on CW Road (translations services can normally do for a fee).

You present yourself/spouse at amphur office to register marriage with ID and above MFA copy.  As said two witness are required, which can be others in office and if non Thai speaking they may want you have have someone able to translate the paperwork they produce to make sure you understand what you sign.

You are married in the eyes of the world.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1