COVID crisis may get "worse and worse": WHO sounds alarm as coronavirus cases rise by 1 million in five days

webfact

8 minutes ago, car720 said:

Not sure that I understand your point exactly.  Also are you saying that it is ok for the elderly to die as long as the others don't?  May I ask your age.

Point is, the governments screwed things up and allowed covid into nursing homes around the world. All those nursing home deaths are on them. 

Why would you try to put words in my mouth by saying it's ok for the elderly to die.  I was merely pointing out the fact that the average age of those who died with covid, were of the same age as pre covid.  

If you're so scared and worried, best get yourself into better health, or else stay locked in.  

10 hours ago, Tug said:

He’s spot on use The United States as an example of not following safe protocols combined with incompetent leadership never in my life did I think my country would be humiliated to this degree it’s a disgrace 

Ignoring of course that you test far more people in the US than any other country - by far. More excuses for a political jab.

All the keyboard warriors have great ideas how the virus can be contained - yet they remain short on answers and heavy on criticism. 

Edited by JensenZ

2 hours ago, chilli42 said:

Is this for real?  What utter nonsense.  The author must have had a few when writing this. I want the 3 minutes of my life back that it took to read this nonsense.

I could not understand a word...

3 hours ago, smiggley said:

What happened to Sweden? They never had a lockdown and life went on as normal but we do not get any news about how they are doing. Just curious.

Much higher mortality rate than Norway and Finland, and their economy failed just as much. Basically a failed experiment.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2long said:

I have given up with this s**t.

I no longer believe the news.

Yes, there are lots of irresponsible people and leaders of countries.

Yes, some people are susceptible and will die.

For goodness sake if so many people need to be tested to know if they have it, then it's not such a killer flu is it!?

I believe that most governments are using it as a political tool to

- control their masses

- pass dodgy bills and laws without being noticed

- introduce laws which would have never been accepted

- incite unrest among their own people

I wouldn't be surprised if many people in Thailand had it in 2019 and we have built up some kind of immunity. Let's face it, many Chinese visited here!

I really am very bored of Covid 19!

And quite uneducated in Covid as well. 

• Confused 1

You can bet the WHO chief has been told to keep the COVID shock/horror show on the road by the vaccine vultures who fund his farcical operations.

They're worried that by the time they get their much-vaunted shots to market, the pandemic will be on its last legs and herd immunity so widespread that hardly anyone will need them

With POTUS refusing to fund the WHO, the organisation is little more than a sock puppet for its Big Pharma corporate sponsors and palpably unfit for purpose.

Edited by Krataiboy

11 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

the no of cases has gone way higher and the no of deaths way lower,whats that tell us?its not as deadly as we were told thats a clear statistic,it will get lower ,the death rate as we will test more outside of the sick with symptoms and the hospital workers who r most exposed and we will find many more cases and they wont be heading to the morgue.lets see how low it does go,endda the mnth and WHO and co will be scurrying to spin this .MSM will be on overtime telling us we all could get it no doubt.but almost no ones dying ,ummm wheres that leave us?with a rate of death that will resemble what other respiratory disease ?well lets check the stats and the trend in a few weeks from now but i know where my money is and it aint on WHO china or the generals.what do those 3 have in common,now come on be polite TV dont allow that kind of language

death rate may be low, but a percentage of those people are getting very sick and in the hospital being cared for 30+ days. This is overwhelming the medical systems. This is a big issue!  

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

You really should avoid relying on news for evidence. Try this WHO report. 
2020-05-12-tha-sitrep-79-covid-19-final.

You have provided a link to a WHO update on the 5th May a little out of date seeing as these tests were in the month of June, the relevant update you need from WHO is here https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/searo/thailand/2020-06-05-tha-sitrep-90-covid19.pdf?sfvrsn=852eca78_2

This will provide you with the quote of the confirmation of 100,000 saliva tests in June: "The Department of Medical Sciences is adopting the saliva pooled sampling method to accelerate COVID-19 testing in 100,000 persons from targeted groups including health and medical professionals, prison inmates, drivers of public buses and migrant workers. The method is effective and can substantially reduce the cost of COVID-19 testing. Currently, COVID-19 positive cases represent only 0.1% of all tests and more than 40,000 pooled saliva tests have been completed to date."

What they did not do was report the full results, that was left to other site that was originally linked to. https://bangkokherald.com/coronavirus/new-evidence-casts-doubts-on-accuracy-of-thailands-official-coronavirus-statistics/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posts in violation of fair use policy have been removed:

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:05 AM, Logosone said:

Same with Norway, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Iceland, Luxembourg, Hungary, Slovakia, Lithuania, Malta, Liechtenstein. 

None of those are in Asia.

"Same with Norway, Austria, Denmark, Finland, Sweden, Iceland, Luxembourg, Hungary, Slovakia, Lithuania, Malta, Liechtenstein. 

None of those are in Asia."

Where is your proof those countries are not in Asia? Have a source?

(1000's of comedians unemployed and my feeble attempts at comedy)

Edited by i84teen

23 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

You really should avoid relying on news for evidence. Try this WHO report. 
2020-05-12-tha-sitrep-79-covid-19-final.

That data is NOT from the WHO, it is the Thai Ministry of Public Health reporting the numbers.

thai Public Health.jpg

Edited by i84teen

On 7/14/2020 at 7:09 AM, AgMech Cowboy said:

It's estimated that there were 330K plus who died from hunger so far in July 2020. Covid-19 is not public enemy #1.

Is hunger contagious, spreading like wildfire? Can it potentially destroy the worlds economy?

Edited by i84teen

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/business/sweden-economy-coronavirus.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Sweden Has Become the World’s Cautionary Tale

Its decision to carry on in the face of the pandemic has yielded a surge of deaths without sparing its economy from damage — a red flag as the United States and Britain move to lift lockdowns.

On 7/14/2020 at 7:55 PM, car720 said:

575841 as of today.  Just the first 6 months.  Russia lost her people over 4 years.  I think the toll will be higher this time.

If anyone is worried, feel free to hide in your rooms, and let the rest of us get on with living, or dying if such be our fate. Death is inevitable anyway, and no one gets out of here alive..

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/business/sweden-economy-coronavirus.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Its decision to carry on in the face of the pandemic has yielded a surge of deaths without sparing its economy from damage — a red flag as the United States and Britain move to lift lockdowns.

It's not significant that it's economy was damaged. The real news is if it was damaged as much as it's lockdown neighbours.

Anyway, once the second wave hits all those with no immunity it's going to be worse for countries that did lockdown, IMO.

15 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If anyone is worried, feel free to hide in your rooms, and let the rest of us get on with living, or dying if such be our fate. Death is inevitable anyway, and no one gets out of here alive..

You are the second one now to call me a coward.  I am not so sure that caring about the well being of others is such a cowardly act.  If going out amongst others and possibly spreading the disease is the way of the hero then I think I prefer to be a coward. Every time a bee flies past my head I am happy to duck.  A lesson I have learned in the past.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 3NUMBAS said:

That is a death rate of 0.0542%.  Of these, 70% were over 70 years of age.  The Swedish prime minister admitted that they did not do enough to protect senior citizens.  To me, the cautionary tale is the need for better protection for senior citizens.  The experience in New York and New Jersey would confirm the same. Notably absent are numbers on symptomatic and asymptomatic infection.  This article is not credible and the conclusion nonsense.  

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How about selfish people that refuse to wear masks stay at home so the rest of us who do care can go about our lives.

Death is inevitable. Just jump off a balcony. Going to die anyway.

Edited by Sujo
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not significant that it's economy was damaged. The real news is if it was damaged as much as it's lockdown neighbours.

Anyway, once the second wave hits all those with no immunity it's going to be worse for countries that did lockdown, IMO.

He says with no expertise.

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2020 at 2:59 PM, i84teen said:

Is hunger contagious, spreading like wildfire? Can it potentially destroy the worlds economy?

In what country have Covid infections exceeded 20% of the population?  Is that wildfire to you?  Covid has the power cause serious upset to the global economy mainly in the few large countries that mishandled.  So yeah, lots of things worse than Covid and don’t get half the attention.

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2020 at 3:41 PM, car720 said:

You are the second one now to call me a coward.  I am not so sure that caring about the well being of others is such a cowardly act.  If going out amongst others and possibly spreading the disease is the way of the hero then I think I prefer to be a coward. Every time a bee flies past my head I am happy to duck.  A lesson I have learned in the past.

Nothing to do with cowardice or heroism. If you got that impression I apologise. I mean that if anyone is so worried about something that IMO is blown way out of proportion, by all means hide away, but don't expect everyone else to do so. Sooner everyone has been infected sooner back to normal. Most won't have a problem, and those actually at risk should be isolated. I'm in the at risk category, but if I get it and die, that's life. I'm already passed my allotted 3 score and ten. Unless forced to I won't be isolating, but it's not heroism or anything like that. I just don't believe it's as bad as they make out.

I just read my post again and it doesn't even specify you. Starts with "anyone", not "you".

Edited by thaibeachlovers

On 7/16/2020 at 9:46 PM, Sujo said:

How about selfish people that refuse to wear masks stay at home so the rest of us who do care can go about our lives.

Death is inevitable. Just jump off a balcony. Going to die anyway.

Why don't you wear an NBC suit then? Most masks don't protect against viruses, and goggles are also necessary. How many people do you see wearing goggles? Not many I'll warrant!

I'm not in favour of jumping off a balcony- some innocent person might step out under me as I hit ground level. Sounds like you don't care about that unfortunate person.

On 7/16/2020 at 9:30 PM, chilli42 said:

That is a death rate of 0.0542%.  Of these, 70% were over 70 years of age.  The Swedish prime minister admitted that they did not do enough to protect senior citizens.  To me, the cautionary tale is the need for better protection for senior citizens.  The experience in New York and New Jersey would confirm the same. Notably absent are numbers on symptomatic and asymptomatic infection.  This article is not credible and the conclusion nonsense.  

The article doesn't have to be credible. It fits with the old "tell them something often enough and they'll believe it". It's all about scaring the population into compliance, IMO.

On 7/14/2020 at 1:46 PM, smiggley said:

What happened to Sweden? They never had a lockdown and life went on as normal but we do not get any news about how they are doing. Just curious.

High number of old people in homes died ... I think the general feeling is that they should have protected the elderly better - They had nurses and carers who brought the virus into the homes ... That was a mistake .. They should have locked down with the elderly.

For strong and healthy people not so bad .. in therms of % death

And as has been noted several times .... C-19 is mostly the drop that make the glass overflow ... So better try and have a glass that is almost empty to allow your body to fight it better.

If anything .. The media should push the agenda of ... 'Stay healthy and live a healthy life style' to improve you chances of survival. 

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You dreamer you. They've been talking about second wave for ages.

Well, if you want to engage in semantics fine. But the virus has clearly resurged in the USA. Whether you want to call that First Wave Part 2, or Second Wave, makes little difference I imagine, to that rapidly increasing number of those who are now afflicted. For what it's worth, technically speaking, it's the former. 

And the talk about the second wave predicts its arrival in the autumn. So what relevance does your comment have about how long it's been talked about?

And what you and so many other denialists don't seem to get, it's not just about you. It's the fact that you can infect others. Which is the primary reason why mask wearing is recommended.