Finally getting closer to go back to Thailand (Got approval for COE)

On 7/15/2020 at 6:03 AM, ezzra said:

Just as well you were desperate to visit loved one i presume, otherwise nothing in this country worth the hoops and the agoney one have to jump thru just to come here...

OP has a work permit. That's the reason he could get a CoE. It has nothing to do with loved ones. If your married or have a Thai kid, you can also get back here. A bit of work,yes,but doable. 

18 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

They’re not really a rip off... 

45,000 baht for 15 nights = 3000 per night - including 3 meals a day,  2x Covid tests, daily nurse checkups (temp checks). 

I checked the price and my ASQ goes for 2000 baht per night normally - so not a huge markup.

It is if you have a property in Thailand where you could quarantine yourself. There has to be a way via a tracking device that this could be an option. This ASQ is a complete rip off.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, jimn said:

It is if you have a property in Thailand where you could quarantine yourself. There has to be a way via a tracking device that this could be an option. This ASQ is a complete rip off.

They do not care your wife have a house in Isaan or you have a shoebox-condo in Pattaya, you have to follow the rules. Foreigner have to stay for 14 days in approved ASQ hotel in Bangkok. 

Why they should make an exemption for you? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mjakob007 said:

There was an announcement a week back about 2 more hotels being added as Asq

Yes, they add new hotels regularly, the one I got is one of the latest addition. 
Something funny, the first hotel I tried booking yesterday and then told me they had no more availability, sent me even a Line message saying "sorry...", today they sent me a payment link to confirm my booking, and sated that now they had availability... weird

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jimn said:

Yep. Just add tracking devices to everyone else in Thailand so they cannot visit you; arrange safe transport from the airport to your property, wherever it is in Thailand,; verify the property does, indeed, facilitate total social distancing (no one else in the property, no neighbours the other side of a low fence); provide you with 14 days of provisions; and arrange for a medical team to visit to give you a Covid-19 test after a week or so. That would not solve all the potential issues, but might be just about good enough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SnipTheCat said:

Yes, they add new hotels regularly, the one I got is one of the latest addition. 
Something funny, the first hotel I tried booking yesterday and then told me they had no more availability, sent me even a Line message saying "sorry...", today they sent me a payment link to confirm my booking, and sated that now they had availability... weird

Keep hearing the same thing happening in the last couple of days..

Must be something to do with the current events related to establishment of 14 day quarantine to everyone, including diplomats.

Hope they'll sort it out quickly.

3 hours ago, SnipTheCat said:

Yes, ASQ availability is a moving target 

many aspirants are making tentative booking without full payment 

I feel the major hurdle is getting on a evac flight 

once flight is locked in and coe in place, that’s when most aspirants make full payment for ASQ

1 hour ago, mjakob007 said:

That’s a new learning for me. Thank you

Are you able to board from AMS using a Coe issued by Thai embassy in Belgium?

Yes, the repatriation flight is organised by the thai embassy (probably the one in the netherlands too) and thai government, they book the flight for me, they will only let me pick the COE after the flight has been secured and the ASQ booking has been secured.

6 hours ago, CH1961 said:

They do not care your wife have a house in Isaan or you have a shoebox-condo in Pattaya, you have to follow the rules. Foreigner have to stay for 14 days in approved ASQ hotel in Bangkok. 

Why they should make an exemption for you? 

The exception should be the rule... this is common sense in a trusting world. Government doesn't trust you will lock in place. Because the government is already allowing "VIP" military and others to have these special privileges, but not the common man. Typical oligarchy rule. 

1 hour ago, mjakob007 said:

Yes, ASQ availability is a moving target 

many aspirants are making tentative booking without full payment 

I feel the major hurdle is getting on a evac flight 

once flight is locked in and coe in place, that’s when most aspirants make full payment for ASQ

ASQ can be booked in advance with some flexibility depending on the hotel. 

One booking I held could be cancelled 7 days before arrival, or date changed 3 days before arrival (subject to availability) - I cancelled 7 days before arrival.

Another booking could be cancelled up to 5 days before arrival.

Both supposedly took 50% deposit but I don’t see that this money has left my account !!! 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I understand the need for strict quarantine on arrival, but that should make all the other 'hoop jumping' unnecessary.

What a horrendous process.

Its most definitely a horrendous process - but I’m wondering how else it could be done. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

ASQ can be booked in advance with some flexibility depending on the hotel. 

One booking I held could be cancelled 7 days before arrival, or date changed 3 days before arrival (subject to availability) - I cancelled 7 days before arrival.

Another booking could be cancelled up to 5 days before arrival.

Both supposedly took 50% deposit but I don’t see that this money has left my account !!! 

In my case it was 50% deposit which was charged on my credit card. Cancellation & refund of the deposit possible if more than 7 days before arrival OR with proof of visa refusal or airplane cancellation. Another (which was fully booked during the process) asked 2/3 advance payment and no refund, only flexibility to change the date according to availability or converting to credit to stay there later. Another that was available and turned to be full too asked 100% advance with no flexibility or refund possible.

4 hours ago, Kinnock said:

I understand the need for strict quarantine on arrival, but that should make all the other 'hoop jumping' unnecessary.

What a horrendous process.

Well it is Thailand. They are good at making simple things extremely difficult and drawn out. Likely also includes a Redwood-sized tree of paperwork to boot!

On 7/15/2020 at 2:15 PM, richard_smith237 said:

45,000 baht for 15 nights = 3000 per night - including 3 meals a day,  2x Covid tests, daily nurse checkups (temp checks). 

Aye-aye! Defo worth the expense then :thumbsup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daveAustin said:
On 7/15/2020 at 2:15 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Aye-aye! Defo worth the expense then :thumbsup:

Well no.. 'cos I could be isolating at my home in Bangkok for free. But it's clear that is most definitely not an option. 

The two week quarantine will cost me a similar amount as the two week self isolation I spent upon my arrival in the UK. Rental of a small cottage and food.

My point is - The ASQ hotels don’t seem to be capitalising on their position and over charging us compared to the normal going rates (at normal ‘non-covid’ times)

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its most definitely a horrendous process - but I’m wondering how else it could be done. 

The 14 day quarantine is the control step - all the rest is totally pointless, unscientific nonesense.  After jumping through the various hoops you could be exposed at the hospital where you had the test, on the way to the airport, in the airport or on the plane, so all the checks up to point of arrival in Thailand are pointless.

By insisting on proof of insurance and enforcing quarantine for all arrivals no matter how VIP, you have effective controls, anything else adds zero value.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

The 14 day quarantine is the control step - all the rest is totally pointless, unscientific nonesense.  After jumping through the various hoops you could be exposed at the hospital where you had the test, on the way to the airport, in the airport or on the plane, so all the checks up to point of arrival in Thailand are pointless.

By insisting on proof of insurance and enforcing quarantine for all arrivals no matter how VIP, you have effective controls, anything else adds zero value.

Exactly right. They'll figure that out in time. Probably not long, actually. 

• Like 1

Thinking some folk mentioning that some of the requirements are useless are missing the reason they have them in place. True they are useless, however it's about capacity to monitor and control quarantine. Look what happened in Melbourne AU. Also now after the Egyptian fiasco the process will even take longer.

21 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Also now after the Egyptian fiasco the process will even take longer.

Why?

They did not have to go through the same process and that has been changed already. It will have no effect for those that are going through the process now or later.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Why?

They did not have to go through the same process and that has been changed already. It will have no effect for those that are going through the process now or later.

What is the "new process" for people similar to the Egyptian group. Along with diplomats and families on short visit or otherwise. 

Apart from that I'm sure that married guys returning to Thailand would be at bottom of biscuit barrel for Thai gov.

Perhaps hotel availability might tighten up

• Like 1

Currently undergoing this process now, from where I am located in Africa getting all of the paperwork in line at the right time is a practical nightmare

Covid tests etc are difficult to arrange and the ASQ are coming back as all full for the time being

Extracting the requirements from the embassies was a painful experience on its own

Thinking it may be a while before I get back at least, people in other locations will surely find it easier to arrange all of the requirements so good luck to all that are going through this at the moment.........................

26 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

ASQ are coming back as all full for the time being

What is the process for booking/finding hotel. Guessing you need contact each hotel separately of can you go on waiting list? 

BTW good luck. Seems horrific process

ps. I just now read in news forum that the ambassador from Estonia was refused entry into booked accommodation and taken to one of the registered quarantine hotels. 

Wondered why that happened.

Edited by DrJack54

Where I am, they asked to get unnecessary covid test before Visa application then another (obvious understandable) one before flight.  ????

And whoever is rationalising the higher amounts and total length for those quarantines are nuts IMHO.

Edited by eastcst84

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What is the process for booking/finding hotel. Guessing you need contact each hotel separately of can you go on waiting list? 

BTW good luck. Seems horrific process

ps. I just now read in news forum that the ambassador from Estonia was refused entry into booked accommodation and taken to one of the registered quarantine hotels. 

Wondered why that happened.

Only list is the one available on the ASQ website and just phone or email....

• Thanks 1