Is it okay to boil tap water here?

Keyser Soze666

Despite living in a very hot climate I do enjoy a couple of brews a day, but it's getting tiresome filling up the old kettle with purchased drinking water., not to mention expensive (well ok, but you know what I mean)

So as the title suggests is totally safe to boil water straight from the taps here?

Thanks.
  • Sad 1

You boil the water so you shouldn't be concerned about bacteria, etc.

In my building the water quality is sometimes not as good as it should be because of old water pipes and "dirty" water. If you want consistent good taste then bottled water is the better option. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, BritManToo said:

I've been doing it for the past 12 years ........ not dead yet!

Which part of Thailand are you from, please?

Edit

Ok, Got it! CM ????

Edited by ravip

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have a TDS pen, 80ppm in Chiang Mai, which is pretty good by world standards (limit being 400ppm).

I have no idea at all what that is. I'm talking about putting tap water into a normal old kettle and boiling, that's it.

• Haha 1

Just now, Keyser Soze666 said:

I have no idea at all what that is. I'm talking about putting tap water into a normal old kettle and boiling, that's it.

TDS meter is a small hand-held device used to indicate the Total Dissolved Solids in a solution, usually water. Since dissolved ionized solids, such as salts and minerals, increase the conductivity of a solution, a TDS meter measures the conductivity of the solution and estimates the TDS from that reading.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

You can buy a cheap TDS meter off lazada/shopee which will do the trick.

If you want to send to a lab, try contacting Brianet to see if they have any home kits.

Would a TDS meter show any chemical contents?

34 minutes ago, KC 71 said:

I would assume so,

Might be worth looking into some sort of filter as well.

If the cost of bottled  water is an impediment, surely a filter would be out of the question.

I think if he boils tap water for at least one minute he'll be OK.    The taste might not be to his liking.

You list location as Bangkok

Bangkok tap water has been treated to international drinking water standards for at least the last 40 years.  Years ago there were concerns with low pressure areas but these days it should be safe in any normal residential situation.

Bangkok tap water is tested at dozens of locations in the city and it is on internet real time.  Below is the website.

https://twqonline.mwa.co.th/EN/map.php?type=

Above said many or us much prefer RO water (as you would buy) and systems to provide in home are available for about 3,000 baht so if using for more than one person may make sense having.  I have used for a number of years now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Above said many or us much prefer RO water (as you would buy) and systems to provide in home are available for about 3,000 baht so if using for more than one person may make sense having.  I have used for a number of years now.

How much are you paying for replacement filters/membranes and how often, referring to RO?

11 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

How much are you paying for replacement filters/membranes and how often, referring to RO?

Replacement is yearly except for RO itself which will last at least several years in normal home use.  Should be less than 1,000 baht.  Some replace first filter more often if much dirt in water but it is very cheap as just a basic filter.  There are a number of systems on Lazada and Shopee like below photo.

ช้อป Colandas ออนไลน์ หลากหลายสินค้ายอดนิยม | lazada.co.th

Edited by lopburi3

42 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I've been doing it for the past 12 years ........ not dead yet!

I have a TDS pen, 80ppm in Chiang Mai, which is pretty good by world standards (limit being 400ppm).

Both my tummy and my pen say it's good to go.

Anywhere would probably be good after boiling.

Same here in BKK.. do have a water filter but am usually to lazy to fill the kettle up with it as it is slower. So i boil the tab water no problems as of yet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Replacement is yearly except for RO itself which will last at least several years in normal home use.  Should be less than 1,000 baht.  Some replace first filter more often if much dirt in water but it is very cheap as just a basic filter.

Seems expensive compared to buying bottled water. We pay 25 baht for a 20-liter bottle, delivered, 2 people and 3 cats, lots of home cooking. We go through approximately 40 bottles/year, 50 at the most.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For drinking water I buy the bottles from the shops. For brewing a cup of tea or coffee, I just fill up empty bottles of coke from the big 1THB per litre water machine on the street.

Never had a problem yet. I know the filters are probobly never changed etc, but it just seems safer.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Seems expensive compared to buying bottled water. We pay 25 baht for a 20-liter bottle, delivered, 2 people and 3 cats, lots of home cooking. We go through approximately 40 bottles/year, 50 at the most.

You use a bit less water than I - we go through a 20 liter water cooler and 2 liter ice maker and 1 liter hot drinks every day.  Cooking and steam iron is additional.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Unless you put it solely on the kitchen tap, you will be flushing loos and showering with your filtered water which will 'use' the filter up much quicker.

The type I have is a special unit with its own tap and pressure tank.  It is not connected to anything but a water source and drain for rejected water.

• Like 1

It's a fluid situation.

At sea level boiling for a minute should kill all pathogens , but won't remove lead,At higher elevation add30 seconds if camping on Doi Inthanon.

As very few Thai plumbers use lead pipe I would happily use boiled water for tea, although for such littel extra nicer fresher more palatable water .

Many water shops deliver those big 10 liter bottles free , Here I pay 100 baht deposit in the bottle, 15 for a refill so 1.5 baht per liter. 

If you live on level 46 in soi 11 it's polite to bung delivery boy 20 baht for his time and trouble.

If up country never ever drink water you unsure of , there are many thirst quenchers for kids and for adults ales with animals to aid selection by the inebriated. Cheers

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/travel/backcountry_water_treatment.html

• Like 1

If you boil water for 5 minutes it will kill any bacteria and organisms. Make sure only to drink Dihydrogen monoxide or Hydrohydroxic acid type water though. Alternatively an in-line filter system, cost around 8000 baht and good for a swimming pools worth of the stuff.

Stay clear of Hydrogen monoxide and Hydrogen hydroxide. The latter 2 of which were used in the brewing of Watney’s Red Barrel and accounted for many unwanted additions to the family.