Thailand to offer grace period for foreigners’ visa extensions

webfact

19 minutes ago, andux said:

So what happens if someone doesn't do anything and just leaves the country on September 25?

It's not entirely clear.

Clear as chrysyall ...said in a article by an high officer those leaving has nothing to do as leaving before the limit day ...

Highest they would / could be intitled to do is the stay adress need to be knowed

Edited by david555

The guy is saying ' have your visa in order by 26th Sept '   so he means forget amnesty, forget everything .... it's back to normal ,  so just make sure you have the correct visa on 26th Sept ....

how hard can that be to understand    ????    lol          for some very hard ....  lol

Edited by steven100
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, andux said:

Clear as what you typed there.

If you can not read that then also you can not read where the gates for departures are at Bkk airport.

No worry for at the detention center for overstayers they "accompany "you ....no need of reading capacity 

Edited by david555

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

The guy is saying ' have your visa in order by 26th Sept '   so he means forget amnesty, forget everything .... it's back to normal ,  so just make sure you have the correct visa on 26th Sept ....

how hard can that be to understand    ????    lol          for some very hard ....  lol

What?  What?

Please explain.  

4 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Personally I want nothing more than to renew my multiple entry non O visa, issued because I am the single father of a teenage daughter who is recovering ( slowly) from debilitating depression ( a result of her mother leaving me and abandoning her).

My personal circumstances prevent me from banking 400,000 Baht, I have adequate funds to live on, and even to start making inroads into the debts my wife left me with.

As I said, I wish to renew my visa. I cannot see, at present, a way to do this. A problem I suspect facing a number of us. If anyone has any suggestions I would welcome them. Abandoning my daughter to return to the UK (where I have no family or nowhere to live) would be disastrous for her mental health, and probably not too good for me! The only available "substitute parent" is her 78 year old grandmother, crippled with rheumatism.

I suspect my only hope is putting up a case for the Immigration Service to issue me a visa - single or multiple entry. 

You see sometimes it is not as simple as "get your act together"

I would suggest waiting until shortly before September 26 and extending another 60 days if you have not yet used that. I think the "visit your wife" case won't work, but I think you can use the "visit your daughter" scenario. @ubonjoe might have more advice.

Whatever you do, don't leave your daughter behind. If you need to go to the UK and you're her legal guardian, take her with you.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Thanks for the kind words.

Thai immigration rules and nomenclature for foreigners are historically fraught with home-grown misunderstandings such as some people not knowing of they are on a visa or an extension and not knowing the importance of the difference. Hence some degree of accuracy should be countenanced considering that most of the several thousand that found themselves stranded here for more than 4 months and have signed up here for information may have gotten to know the Thailand more than a zip line on Samui, a full moon on Koh Phangan or a spliff in Pai and may want to pitch a tent here rather than face quarantine and second-waves in their home countries.

If your that worried about potential misunderstandings then it would be better to wait for the official announcement instead of correcting other people on the interpretation of unofficial news.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AndyPa said:

Whatever you do, don't leave your daughter behind. If you need to go to the UK and you're her legal guardian, take her with you.

I most certainly will not leave her. However the UK authorities will not issue her with a British Passport - although I am named on her (Thai) birth certificate as her father - she is actually registered with a western Christian name, and my surname. When I applied I was informed that she was born before the rule change which granted her automatic citizenship, and they ( the authorities in Birkenhead) do not consider her eligible. There appears to be no appeal, subsequent communications, by email or letter, have gone unanswered.

The 60 day extension is also closed - I used that when the border closed back at the end of March, on the advice of immigration - after they had fined me for three days overstay!

I may perhaps be able to make a case for a further extension (s), perhaps supported by Lucy's psychiatrist, Reverend Mother/school principal and various others until the borders reopen - I just don't know. If they force me to leave her it will have to be by arresting me!

Edited by herfiehandbag

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

My personal circumstances prevent me from banking 400,000 Baht, I have adequate funds to live on, and even to start making inroads into the debts my wife left me with.

Paying your wife's debts is just throwing money away.

Don't do it.

PS, I also have a Non-O, valid until April 2021 ....... who would've guessed they'd suddenly be worthless.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, Jim P said:

It means you have to apply in person, if your on a tourist visa it`s time to go home unless you can prove that your stranded. All other cases will be on an individual basis and the time is to allow them all to sort the appropriate visa out. That`s my understanding of this proposal.

Those are your fantasies.

• Like 1

Just now, herfiehandbag said:

She borrowed money from a bank using the deeds of the house ( or rather the land it stands on). If I don't pay the minimum, I stand to lose the house.

Negotiate with the bank directly, they'll settle for interest only payments.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I most certainly will not leave her. However the UK authorities will not issue her with a British Passport - although I am named on her (Thai) birth certificate as her father - she is actually registered with a western Christian name, and my surname. When I applied I was informed that she was born before the rule change which granted her automatic citizenship, and they ( the authorities in Birkenhead) do not consider her eligible. There appears to be no appeal, subsequent communications, by email or letter, have gone unanswered.

The 60 day extension is also closed - I used that when the border closed back at the end of March, on the advice of immigration - after they had fined me for three days overstay!

I may perhaps be able to make a case for a further extension (s), perhaps supported by Lucy's psychiatrist, Reverend Mother/school principal and various others until the borders reopen - I just don't know. If they force me to leave her it will have to be by arresting me!

If she is legally (on paper) your daughter, you can take her with you even if she doesn't have a British passport. On humanitarian grounds they cannot deny you as her father. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

I suspect my only hope is putting up a case for the Immigration Service to issue me a visa - single or multiple entry. 

You see sometimes it is not as simple as "get your act together"

Get an agent or personally explain to IO on your situation for getting visa extension. Your daughter can be the valid proof for getting want you hope for. 

It seems like this "grace period" is to get people action for valid visa. 

As last few months income from visa reduced or event agents less income. ????

Plan and action, don't wait until September even amnesty extend again. 

Good luck. 

On 7/17/2020 at 4:07 PM, trucking said:

Much as I predicted to a friend a few weeks ago. An extension with the caveat that you either get the proper extension from immigration or leave.

A "proper" extension, which for many of us who fully-qualify on the numbers (have the proven income), can only be obtained with a very Im-Proper payment through an agent (~35K Baht at Chiang Wattana), thanks to how immigration operates.

Bound to be a few desperate chancers who do neither and risk overstay.

Yes, some may want to stay with their family - especially those with small children - and make a risky-decision based on emotion.

Too bad that all neighboring countries are currently not open to tourists meaning people effected will have to go to their passport country.

Fortunately, all countries are not behaving this way in response to this virus (which is only dangerous to a small % of the population) - though all in the region are.  Turkey is open to many right now, and was going to be my destination when the "automatic-covid extension" ended July 31 (extended by the "get out" 7 days). 

Hopefully, we will have more/better options by the end of September - maybe even Laos or Vietnam, so we can get Non-O Visas, and stay with our Thai families. 

On 7/17/2020 at 4:28 PM, bestie said:

Imagine a Land where where border runs are over. I'm way to optimistic I know

Imagine a land where no one needed to do them, because immigration behaved honestly - and used logic and reason in their decision-making processes - instead of creating "carve outs" of portions of legit-applicants, forced into paying massive agent-laundered bribes or breaking up their families.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/17/2020 at 4:56 PM, ukrules said:

They should really change that procedure, it promotes unnecessary and in these times risky travel.

Lets say you're here as a Tourist and decide to get a job, many people come here, interview for a job and then decide to stay and work. The first thing you must then do is fly to a foreign country to apply for a different type of visa at a the Thai embassy.

Why can't they simply have an office in Thailand that allows you to change your visa type?

It's one of the dumbest systems I've ever heard of.

I wouldn't be surprised if this policy came into force decades ago to stimulate airline travel at the request of the national airline.

This is not a legal hurdle.  It's just one of immigration's many "agent-only" cut-outs. 

If you pay an "immigration lawyer" ~50K, they can pursurade immigration into doing a "change of visa type" - same as they do for those going from Tourist to Retirement.

The same is true for those switching to ED, though "in country" processing for those costs less than Non-B, per reports I've seen.

Richard Barrow has tweeted about the problem with hiring teachers - and hopefully this covid-situation forces immigration to process "change of visa type" to Non-B applications normally.

On 7/17/2020 at 11:36 AM, edwinchester said:

Not entirely clear reading that but assuming I have until Sept 26th to apply for a 60 day extension to my non-o multi entry that ran out on June 4th leaving me on amnesty.

If so gives me a little linger to prepare for a one year extension of stay which is useful.

I'm sure you'll get stuffed some other way. What a Joke people getting an amnesty if they went through the Visa Process. They're All heart...... 

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

what visa were you originally on before the amnesty  ?     is that so difficult to understand ...

I was on a Non-O VISA, it's still valid until April next year.

But I can't leave the country, and return to get another 90 days permission to stay.

Had plenty of trips abroad planned when I bought it, 4 flights cancelled.

VISA still valid, permission to stay isn't valid.

Lots of people with valid work VISA and valid Ed VISA in the same boat.

All the borders in the world suddenly closed, nothing anyone really predicted, it's never happened before.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I was on a Non-O VISA, it's still valid until April next year.

But I can't leave the country, and return to get another 90 days permission to stay.

same here,
but seems can now get a 60 day extension in September
which should see you/me through til November
at which point borders may be open and flights may have resumed
(hopefully September more than November)
if not then the 1 year extension then becomes the road to take

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You'd need to put 400k/800k in a Thai bank before September if you wanted a legit extension.

That's a lot of money to move on the 'off chance'.

If another country (Cambodia/Vietnam/Philippines) opens up in that time, I'd probably just dump my family and move there. I've had enough of Thailand and their totally corrupt immigration and government.

I've already paid $200 for a VISA, don't really want to pay another $600 (25k) for the same VISA but in extension form, don't really want to put 25,000 pounds in a Thai bank.

I know there's a lot of old guys that want to hang on, no matter what Thai immigration think up to get rid of them, but I've had enough, I just want somewhere easier to live.

I understand. All these Visa issues is making life sometimes harder then it should be and I often ask myself is it worth?. I love Thailand but enjoying life is sometimes difficult. I often time have to remind myself how good I have it and that I should do other things then to think about my Visa all the time. Life is too short.

All we can do is wait for their decision. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bestie said:

I understand. All these Visa issues is making life sometimes harder then it should be and I often ask myself is it worth?. I love Thailand but enjoying life is sometimes difficult. I often time have to remind myself how good I have it and that I should do other things then to think about my Visa all the time. Life is too short.

All we can do is wait for their decision. 

Every Sunday I put 300 baht in my swear jar ! That’s my extension sorted.