Thailand to offer grace period for foreigners’ visa extensions

webfact

12 minutes ago, innosiem said:

not sure if pensions need be from pension but that's not what we are talking about
i have not heard (until now) of anyone being asked to provide origin of funds beyond that of them coming from abroad
you would also need a very low balance in your account back home
for them to say its the same funds

Really, I'm hearing many immigration offices are refusing to process marriage extensions on monthly income without evidence from your pension provider.

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:
10 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Dumping the family because you disagree with a government's immigration policy.

Have you prior experience of doing this successfully?

Yes, dumped 4 kids in the UK back in 2009.

Came to Thailand and made some more ........ surprisingly easy as it turned out.

Wow! And I thought karma was a load of bunk.

• Like 1

Really, I'm hearing many immigration offices are refusing to process marriage extensions on monthly income without evidence from your pension provider.

probably for those who immigration would prefer to see applying for retirement visa's instead of a marriage visa
as they qualify for a retirement visa based on their age.

what if the applicant is not on a pension, as they are not old ?

again, myself i have not read any reports here
of people applying for marriage  extension
being asked to provide origin of funds before they enter your account back home

only source of funds is asked when looking at Thai account
and the source usually being personal transfer from account back home
i have not heard of anyone being asked for anything further than this

do you have links to any of the many refusals ?

(not that any of this makes any difference for myself)

Edited by innosiem

21 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

Another English language newspaper has an article today quoting Police Lt General Sompong. He was talking about stranded tourists and said that any of that group not sorting out a visa by Sept 26th would be "blacklisted"!!! 

Oh no, the horror!!!!

On 7/17/2020 at 3:36 PM, edwinchester said:

Not entirely clear reading that but assuming I have until Sept 26th to apply for a 60 day extension to my non-o multi entry that ran out on June 4th leaving me on amnesty.

If so gives me a little linger to prepare for a one year extension of stay which is useful.

so What happens if you leave thailand and go back to your home country on say august 10th and dont apply for a visa request ? will i be considered to have over stayed 10 days ?

2 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

so What happens if you leave thailand and go back to your home country on say august 10th and dont apply for a visa request ? will i be considered to have over stayed 10 days ?

No, you have until Sept 26th to LEAVE, (without paying any over stay fines)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Why on earth would you spend so much time thinking about your visa? Whatever happens happens, I couldn't give 2 hoots.

As for having it so good and loving it here, well each to his own, but I'm bored out of my mind and would happily leave tomorrow and never come back. I wouldn't miss a single thing. Certainly not this insane heat that's for sure.

Did"nt you think it was hot here before coming here ? you must have come out here for some reason NOW LET ME GUESS ?? and that is not happening now eh ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, innosiem said:

No, you have until Sept 26th to LEAVE, (without paying any over stay fines)

so if i have until september 26th to leave without overstaying , then they must open the borders and start flights , also if i want to leave by land the borders must open ? i dont have wings 

12 hours ago, JackThompson said:

A "proper" extension, which for many of us who fully-qualify on the numbers (have the proven income), can only be obtained with a very Im-Proper payment through an agent (~35K Baht at Chiang Wattana), thanks to how immigration operates.

Yes, some may want to stay with their family - especially those with small children - and make a risky-decision based on emotion.

Fortunately, all countries are not behaving this way in response to this virus (which is only dangerous to a small % of the population) - though all in the region are.  Turkey is open to many right now, and was going to be my destination when the "automatic-covid extension" ended July 31 (extended by the "get out" 7 days). 

Hopefully, we will have more/better options by the end of September - maybe even Laos or Vietnam, so we can get Non-O Visas, and stay with our Thai families. 

Imagine a land where no one needed to do them, because immigration behaved honestly - and used logic and reason in their decision-making processes - instead of creating "carve outs" of portions of legit-applicants, forced into paying massive agent-laundered bribes or breaking up their families.

I think it's better just to pay the 35K to get your visa extended than spending far more going to other so-called "open countries" and trying to get back later.

I emailed an agency and they can easily extend any visa stay. It's all about the $$$$

13 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

so if i have until september 26th to leave without overstaying , then they must open the borders and start flights , also if i want to leave by land the borders must open ? i dont have wings 

No, you may be able to remain for another 30 days beyond that date with proof of being unable to depart.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, dumped 4 kids in the UK back in 2009.

Came to Thailand and made some more ........ surprisingly easy as it turned out.

You seem to have a penchant for "dumping" kids. Says a lot about your character.

Ever thought about bringing your family to whichever country you think is best for their future? The UK seems pretty good to me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drbeach said:

i have until september 26th to leave without overstaying ,

this is correct

22 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

then they must open the borders and start flights 

"they must" is incorrect,
they are basically giving everyone til the 26th to arrange a long stay visa or extension or leave (if that is only other option come then)
the few people that CANNOT leave, will be granted 30 days extension on a case by case basis
there is a big difference in cannot and will not or prefer not to,
there are flights out of the country
whether they fly to where you want to go is another matter
one which does not concern Thai immigration

they can keep the borders closed, and the 26th Sept date will still stand.
as they have given the date of 26th Sept (announcement pending)
there will be no excuses for anyone come Sept 27th
do not rely on your preferred choice being an option on the 26th if it is not an option now
although you should not really need to make a decision until September really based on your own personal circumstances

Edited by innosiem

4 minutes ago, drbeach said:

You seem to have a penchant for "dumping" kids. Says a lot about your character.

Ever thought about bringing your family to whichever country you think is best for their future? The UK seems pretty good to me.

1. My former wife won't give permission for our son to leave Thailand.

2. my step-daughter (age 22) has no right to enter the UK.

3. I can't be bothered to drag them round even if I could.

4. Easier to make new kids in a new country without the baggage.

Actually the easy option would be to marry my step-daughter and move with her to the UK.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, innosiem said:

same here,
but seems can now get a 60 day extension in September
which should see you/me through til November
at which point borders may be open and flights may have resumed
(hopefully September more than November)
if not then the 1 year extension then becomes the road to take

I'm in the same boat as you. This presumed extension until September allows me to breathe a little easier. yes I can meet the requirements for the 1 year extension already I think, but I'd prefer to go the 60 day extension route first (in mid September) then by November I can do the 1 year extension if need be (because borders still aren't open, or are only open with heavy restrictions which I don't want to face). I'd rather spend another 6 months in Thailand to wait out the initial re-opening of neighboring countries, if only so i don't need to take covid tests and other nonsense. Anyway who knows how things will look like by September let alone November.

My plan is not to travel anywhere until the world is mostly back to normal. I have a lot of travel lined up but it's just going to have to wait until 2021 by the looks of it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, drbeach said:

I think it's better just to pay the 35K to get your visa extended than spending far more going to other so-called "open countries" and trying to get back later.

I emailed an agency and they can easily extend any visa stay. It's all about the $$$$

certainly cheaper than paying for quarantine!

29 minutes ago, hottrader77 said:

Thai border is open (for foreigners )….. but only in one direction , the way to fly out 

no need for personal wings growing .

Edited by david555

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Many IOs will refuse a 1 year extension on 40k/65k monthly income, unless you can show 1 years worth of transfers.

If you haven't been doing it for the last 8 months, it's too late now.

When you entered Thailand on a 1-year ME Non Imm O Visa, the 90-day permission to stay which you received on entry, will already have expired. 

But you can apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa, and since it will be an application from a NEW Visa (and not from an already acquired 1-year extension of stay) you will only be required to provide evidence of TWO months of seasoning of the required funds.

Do note that if your local IO is not willing to handle such application, because you are presently on the Amnesty extension, there is still a life-line.

Because when you are married to a thai national or have a thai dependant child, and did not use it yet, you can still apply for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife/dependant child.

And having done so, that will provide you with both

- sufficient time to meet the 2-month seasoning requirements,

- a 'valid' permission to stay (based on that 60-day extension) to apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa.

It is only If you were in Thailand already on a 1-year extension of stay of your Non Imm O or O-A Visa, and your permission to stay expired during the Amnesty, that you would need to provide evidence that you met the financial requirements during the 12 months preceding your application.

• Thanks 1

I suspect international travel will never return to 'normal'.

Expect to stay in Thailand, or return to your home country forever.

maybe not "forever"
but i expect if we do have a long winter to ride out (many many years)
it may seem like forever for some

2 hours ago, innosiem said:

checked the source how ?

please explain the details of process
what THEY required you to show them ?
(not what you shown without being asked)

not sure if pensions need be from pension but that's not what we are talking about
i have not heard (until now) of anyone being asked to provide origin of funds beyond that of them coming from abroad
you would also need a very low balance in your account back home
for them to say its the same funds

Origin and source of funds are two different requirements.

Origin of the funds simply requires you to provide evidence that the funds originated from abroad.

According to the Order 138/2557 (2014) the source of Income can be from a Pension, interest or dividends.

According to 138/2557 update (2019) for those who cannot obtain an Embassy Income letter only income from Pension is mentioned.

The above rather discriminates against US, UK and Australian citizens, since their Embassies do not issue such Income letters anymore.

The source or type of Income from other citizens who can still provide Embassy Income letters is rarely questioned by Immigration.

25 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Origin and source of funds are two different requirements.

Origin of the funds simply requires you to provide evidence that the funds originated from abroad.

According to the Order 138/2557 (2014) the source of Income can be from a Pension, interest or dividends.

According to 138/2557 update (2019) for those who cannot obtain an Embassy Income letter only income from Pension is mentioned.

The above rather discriminates against US, UK and Australian citizens, since their Embassies do not issue such Income letters anymore.

The source or type of Income from other citizens who can still provide Embassy Income letters is rarely questioned by Immigration.

Thanks, i am still yet to see any reports of immigration asking for source of said funds 
if funds come from abroad, immigration seem to be satisfied
retirements and pensions i have never looked at

the whole point was me stating people could circle funds if they want
and others stating IO wants source of funds proved, ie payslip, pension, letter of employment etc.
which i have not seen any reports of this

and after looking i can see they can request such info
"5. Only for Criteria (5) paragraph 1 and (6), the applicant must attach a funds deposit certificate issued by a bank in Thailand and a copy of a bankbook, or attach documents proving that the parents or alien husband earns an average monthly income of no less than Baht 40,000 throughout the year, such as any particular individual income tax return together with payment receipt, evidence of receiving retirement pension, evidence of receiving interest from funds deposit, or evidence of having other funds issued by the relevant agency. An affidavit must also be submitted confirming the alien’s marital or parental status with a Thai national."

my point was always i have never heard any reports of this actually being asked for,
and even still nothing stopping you circling the money if you choose, although pointless as i expect most live on roughly 40k or more a month anyway
but either way, it is of no concern for myself.

Edited by innosiem
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Many IOs will refuse a 1 year extension on 40k/65k monthly income, unless you can show 1 years worth of transfers.

If you haven't been doing it for the last 8 months, it's too late now.

I have plenty of money in my UK bank, and that's where it's staying.

You may be wealthy enough to risk 25,000 pounds in a Thai bank, but I'm not.

Not even in a foreign currency account? 

• Like 1

The grace is nor really being clarified so hopefully it means we don't  need a Visa till late Sept so for those of us who are planning to leave in Sept should  be fine

I am planninG to be in Malaysia in early Sept so hopefuly  clarification will arrive soon

Edited by solomon david
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, solomon david said:

The grace is nor really being clarified so hopefully it means we don't  need a Visa till late Sept so for those of us who are planning to leave in Sept should  be fine

I am planninG to be in Malaysia in early Sept so hopefuly  clarification will arrive soon

That's exactly what it means according to the news, you can leave in September without doing anything. According to Pattaya Mail:

No problems for current amnesty beneficiaries as long as they leave Thailand by September 26. There is no need to extend your visa, visit an immigration office or pay any money.

I'm also hoping to see this confirmed in official channels though, like immigration.go.th, some official Twitter or something.

Edited by andux
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

When using the monthly-income transfer method to prove that you meet the financial requirements It depends on the IO where you report.

Attached the requirements checklist for a 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, at the IO in Hat Yai and the IO in SriRacha.

Both of them, apart from the foreign origin of the funds also require an Embassy certified pension statement.

If you are a US, UK or Australian citizen, your Embassy will not issue such a statement, and hence those nationalities can ONLY use the money-in-bank method when applying for the 1-year extension of their Non Imm O marriage Visa.

MarriageextdocsEng-SiRacha.pdf 682.91 kB · 2 downloads Hat Yai - 1-year Marriage extension requirements dd May 2020.pdf 672.41 kB · 1 download

It seems to be different for every immigration office.

Some ask for proof of the 40k transfer, where it comes from, etc. Some just want to see the transfers. I think you're both right and both wrong. Depending on the immigration office.

As I was in town today I popped into my local Immigration Office, Kanchanaburi, and asked me if I could delay extending my non-o until Sept 26th. They had no idea and suggested I keep checking in on the official Thai Immigration website.

The lady I spoke to seemed genuinely keen to help and we chatted about going the extension route as I'm married to a Thai but as to when I should actually apply for the 60 extension preceding the annual extension she really had no idea.