Any chance of my Thai girlfriend able to come visit me in the US during covid?

I too want to do something like this if I cannot get back to my wife and kid in thailand - currently stuck in uk. BUT, I cannot see us being together for at LEAST another 6 months at the best and my retirement extension will have expired by then - and no I'm not going to spend thousands of baht on quarantine as I need return every 9 months to UK for personal reasons and that cash cow is maddening

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 8:46 AM, Elkski said:

Tourist visas are solely based on the woman. 

That's not true, especially if the Thai applicant is married to an American living in Thailand.

When my Thai wife got her 10-year U.S. tourist visa a few years ago, the Embassy staff were keenly interested in two things more than anything about her -- my U.S. passport history of retirement extensions living in Thailand, and a letter of invitation I had my father in the U.S. write on behalf of my wife (which they considered a very important thing when my wife went for her interview).

The only other time I ever had anyone apply related to me, it was a former GF who I had been living with for some years. She was denied, even though she had a good and stable job as a nurse with a letter of support from her hospital. And, as best as we could tell in the aftermath, it was because she failed to produce, when asked, copies of all the retirement extension stamp pages from my passport. (I had the original passport but couldn't go inside per their policy, while she had photocopies of all those passport pages, she just failed to remember she did in the midst of the interview.)

• Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 8:46 AM, Elkski said:

Tourist visas are solely based on the woman. 

That's not true, especially if the Thai applicant is married to an American living in Thailand.

When my Thai wife got her 10-year U.S. tourist visa a few years ago, the Embassy staff were keenly interested in two things more than anything about her -- my U.S. passport history of retirement extensions living in Thailand, and a letter of invitation I had my father in the U.S. write on behalf of my wife (which they considered a very important thing when my wife went for her interview).

The only other time I ever had anyone apply related to me, it was a former GF who I had been living with for some years. She was denied, even though she had a good and stable job as a nurse with a letter of support from her hospital. And, as best as we could tell in the aftermath, it was because she failed to produce, when asked, copies of all the retirement extension stamp pages from my passport. (I had the original passport but couldn't go inside per their policy, while she had photocopies of all those passport pages, she just failed to remember she did in the midst of the interview.)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, AuberginePeach said:

Would you mind sharing what her income was? My GF is around 17,250/month.

For those wondering, we were coworkers at the same advertising agency. I contract with them, so that's how I met her back in January 2020. We were unseperable for the next 6 months when I came back to the US mid June. Before we met, we were chatting/flirting on IG for almost a year.  

She doesn't own property. She has traveled in Europe for several months and had an out of school internship in Singapore for a few months. 

Personally, I would say less than 50% chance only because she has shown to be able to leave the country to Europe and Singapore and return but the U.S. is a whole different story as I noted to you already which I'm sure you don't like.

Her job salary 17,250 isn't much even if she has worked in that position for years I'm not sure even a letter from her employer will help since the Embassy know letters are dime a dozen and can easily be obtained it might help if she has lots of money saved and can show she can afford visiting the U.S. by buying her own ticket and expense in the U.S. for a 30 day visa. Surely if she applies indicating she is visiting you based on her income I believe she will be wasting her time. One of the key factor they are looking for is " support "  if she say she is coming to see stay with you and you will be paying majority of the expenses she is dead in the water.

Not only must she show she will return to Thailand she must show you aren't the sole supporter in this visit.  In applying none of your personal stuff you stated will get her a visa as noted by another poster she not knowing you has a better chance? 

Making up a story with some major attractions near your home area for example I heard so much about Washington D.C. I want to see so and so and then take the train to New York I've mapped out places to stay and visit and have enough money credit card line of credit. She should be able to tell her story in her sleep show she can get by English or have a translator on her phone? 

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Personally, I would say less than 50% chance only because she has shown to be able to leave the country to Europe and Singapore and return but the U.S. is a whole different story as I noted to you already which I'm sure you don't like.

Her job salary 17,250 isn't much even if she has worked in that position for years I'm not sure even a letter from her employer will help since the Embassy know letters are dime a dozen and can easily be obtained it might help if she has lots of money saved and can show she can afford visiting the U.S. by buying her own ticket and expense in the U.S. for a 30 day visa. Surely if she applies indicating she is visiting you based on her income I believe she will be wasting her time. One of the key factor they are looking for is " support "  if she say she is coming to see stay with you and you will be paying majority of the expenses she is dead in the water.

Not only must she show she will return to Thailand she must show you aren't the sole supporter in this visit.  In applying none of your personal stuff you stated will get her a visa as noted by another poster she not knowing you has a better chance? 

Making up a story with some major attractions near your home area for example I heard so much about Washington D.C. I want to see so and so and then take the train to New York I've mapped out places to stay and visit and have enough money credit card line of credit. She should be able to tell her story in her sleep show she can get by English or have a translator on her phone? 

So on the question of the 'interview' I think we need to be clear.

This isn't something where you are taken into a private room, this is not much different to going to get your drivers license at DMV.

They stand at a window and answer a few questions in a public room.

Anyone who has been to the embassy in BKK knows it. It's same room where you get documents notarized, where you used to get income statements etc.

I would probably say that the CO has already decided the outcome based on the documentation, so they either really screw it up or make some really compelling argument to change their mind based on the questions he/she asks

Edited by GinBoy2

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

So on the question of the 'interview' I think we need to be clear.

This isn't something where you are taken into a private room, this is not much different to going to get your drivers license at DMV.

They stand at a window and answer a few questions in a public room.

Anyone who has been to the embassy in BKK knows it. It's same room where you get documents notarized, where you used to get income statements etc.

I would probably say that the CO has already decided the outcome based on the documentation, so they either really screw it up or make some really compelling argument to change their mind based on the questions he/she asks

Majority of what you indicated is true but if you have been to the Embassy in BKK, or you are just saying in general you would know it isn't in the same room where one get documents notarized or income statement.

But the fact is you do stand in front of a window like the one at the citizen services room.  I wrote an earlier response and noted 95% of the cases for tourist are usually refused based on the general perception these application are from girls working the business and don't even come close to the qualifications therefore the cases have been fully decided prior to the interviewed.

But in the 5% as I noted in my earlier post qualifies to a point and they will ask questions relating to their request like where they plan to visit and stay to confirm any questions they might have the other 95% as you noted something compelling to get them to change their minds.

Years ago my brother applied for a tourist for his wife and daughter at that time they were allowed to go with the applicant. The interviewed was as you noted it was quickly denied my brother questioned the decision and was told why and main reason there was no evidence she would return my brother was the sole supporter nothing to tie her to Thailand to return if they left he indicated he was retired and have made his home in Thailand they requested proof he pull out his passport showed them the Retirement Extension stamp the last two years decision reverse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Majority of what you indicated is true but if you have been to the Embassy in BKK, or you are just saying in general you would know it isn't in the same room where one get documents notarized or income statement.

But the fact is you do stand in front of a window like the one at the citizen services room.  I wrote an earlier response and noted 95% of the cases for tourist are usually refused based on the general perception these application are from girls working the business and don't even come close to the qualifications therefore the cases have been fully decided prior to the interviewed.

But in the 5% as I noted in my earlier post qualifies to a point and they will ask questions relating to their request like where they plan to visit and stay to confirm any questions they might have the other 95% as you noted something compelling to get them to change their minds.

Years ago my brother applied for a tourist for his wife and daughter at that time they were allowed to go with the applicant. The interviewed was as you noted it was quickly denied my brother questioned the decision and was told why and main reason there was no evidence she would return my brother was the sole supporter nothing to tie her to Thailand to return if they left he indicated he was retired and have made his home in Thailand they requested proof he pull out his passport showed them the Retirement Extension stamp the last two years decision reverse.

Nowadays you can't go in with them, they're on their own.

You just wait outside on Wireless Rd, or hang out over the road at Starbucks and hope they don't screw up, and I don't think now they ever give a reason for a denial

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

You just wait outside on Wireless Rd, or hang out over the road at Starbucks and hope they don't screw up, and I don't think now they ever give a reason for a denial

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Reason!  " years ago allow to go with applicant "  did you see that!  It is tough enough if we were allowed to go with the applicant but the reality the majority don't have enough English skills to read between or understand what is being said to them although interviewers can speak Thai that is from my experience when they use to allow us to tag along.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Reason!  " years ago allow to go with applicant "  did you see that!  It is tough enough if we were allowed to go with the applicant but the reality the majority don't have enough English skills to read between or understand what is being said to them although interviewers can speak Thai that is from my experience when they use to allow us to tag along.

They can always speak in Thai. 

My wife was brought up in Chicago so she speaks English as well as any of us (although she does has that You Betcha accent), but when she went to her interview they started off in Thai, until they realized she spoke perfect English and switched

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, GinBoy2 said:

They can always speak in Thai. 

My wife was brought up in Chicago so she speaks English as well as any of us (although she she has that You Betcha accent), but when she went to her interview they started off in Thai, until they realized she spoke perfect English and switched

What is your point young man I actually agree with you.  I didn't want to directly but I use to be involved with the Embassy in a indirect manner I'm trying to give this guy some insight not constantly go back and forth with your tick for tack like your " same room as the Citizen services "  as the interview area! 

When it comes to the Embassy how far have you gotten inside, Before the renovations I've been in front and center interviews with 3 before guys had to wait outside and 1 actual private meeting with the second in command at the Embassy when my sponsor letter from then House Speaker was rudely cast aside. In that interview that is when I got the exact run down as to how they make the determination and why.

It should also be noted my wife complained that she had a hard time understanding the interviewer Thai!  Bye

4 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

What is your point young man I actually agree with you.  I didn't want to directly but I use to be involved with the Embassy in a indirect manner I'm trying to give this guy some insight not constantly go back and forth with your tick for tack like your " same room as the Citizen services "  as the interview area! 

When it comes to the Embassy how far have you gotten inside, Before the renovations I've been in front and center interviews with 3 before guys had to wait outside and 1 actual private meeting with the second in command at the Embassy when my sponsor letter from then House Speaker was rudely cast aside. In that interview that is when I got the exact run down as to how they make the determination and why.

It should also be noted my wife complained that she had a hard time understanding the interviewer Thai!  Bye

Well I can only comment on my wife's experience.

She said the CO and her bounced back and forward between Thai and English pretty seamlessly.

Took all of about 5 minutes, pretty simple questions, a lot of it just chatting about family life. A weird quirk of fate was the CO actually had a cousin in Rapid City SD where we live, so that occupied a lot of the 'interview'.

It's a small world! 

3 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Well I can only comment on my wife's experience.

She said the CO and her bounced back and forward between Thai and English pretty seamlessly.

Took all of about 5 minutes, pretty simple questions, a lot of it just chatting about family life. A weird quirk of fate was the CO actually had a cousin in Rapid City SD where we live, so that occupied a lot of the 'interview'.

It's a small world! 

Your situation is as I noted 5% and as we know every person is different the fact that they were discussing location your wife already had favorable decision.  Although a decision most likely been made they throw out a few polite questions those question do have some purpose for them.

At that time I didn't really know the process I just applied to be honest it was so long ago did it online I didn't remember ever having to submit any documents but at the interview the CO was really rude in fact very insulting. When I spoke up although very polite she got more insulting and rude I asked the CO, can you look at this document she basically told me to " <deleted>> your document I don't give a <deleted>> who it is from. 

Regardless, my post is warn those to be prepare like in your situation.

• Like 1

From my personal observation, I say your Thai girlfriend has absolutely NO chance of receiving an US Tourist Visa!  I know an unmarried 47yr. old Thai lady who, with the assistance of a well known and respected Bangkok legal firm applied for a US Tourist Visa about 2 1/2yrs ago.                                               1.  She owns a home,

2. Employed in Sister's convenience store,

3.  Has well employed married son with 2 small daughters,

4.  Had written invitation from married Thai lady friend who would meet her in San Francisco,

5.  They would view usual tourist sites and slowly drive to Scottsdale, AZ, where her friend lives,

6. They would go on short sightseeing trips together.  She would stay in the U.S. no more than 3wks.,

7.  Her friend would assist her to her plane in AZ to SF to Bangkok,

8.  She had a VERY comfortable Bangkok U.S. Embassy interview and they kept her Thai passport,

9.  Her passport was kept for over 2wks. and returned---VISA DENIED!  No explanation!  She was informed she could reply if she desired!  I welcome any suggestions I can forward to her Thai lady friend in Arizona!  Very Sincerely, 

Edited by theoldgit
email address removed as per Forum Rules. Contact via PM if required.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think we are all basically telling the OP the same thing.

Tourist visa's for unmarried Thai women, regardless of their situation, professional, employed, bargirl, are a real crapshoot, with a high probability of rejection.

In my own case, years before we got legally married and moved back to the US with my wife on an immigrant visa, we had applied for a tourist visa, just to visit my youngest daughter in San Diego who had just had a baby.

My wife; a professional woman, good job, actually had lived in Chicago and gone to college there, good income, and indeed our son is a US citizen, the result she was still denied.

I've long since stopped trying to understand the criteria for Thai's, especially women to get tourist visa's.

We speculated at the time, that since she'd lived in the US, and our son was at the time in Chicago at college the thought may have been that we'd go, get married there and try to apply for adjustment of status to be with the kids. 

But unlike the Brits who I believe get a written explanation for the denial, we'll never know!

Edited by GinBoy2

Is the US Embassy even processing tourist visas these days? I would be surprised if so. Too much risk of tourists getting stranded in US unable to return to their home countries.

Bear in mind that even if she can get a visa, she will be stuck in the US once she gets there unable to get back to Thailand easily, possibly for many months (same would apply to any 3rd country so forget the suggestion of meeting her eslewhere - could get really, really costly).

There is a long backlog for space on repatriation flights and likely to remain that way for some months.

9 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Is the US Embassy even processing tourist visas these days? I would be surprised if so. Too much risk of tourists getting stranded in US unable to return to their home countries.

Bear in mind that even if she can get a visa, she will be stuck in the US once she gets there unable to get back to Thailand easily, possibly for many months (same would apply to any 3rd country so forget the suggestion of meeting her eslewhere - could get really, really costly).

There is a long backlog for space on repatriation flights and likely to remain that way for some months.

They may be processing the paperwork, but in another thread a poster said that all interviews, immigrant and non-immigrant have been cancelled, so essentially the process has ground to a halt.

That will mean even when things restart the backlog will be horrendous. 

On 7/22/2020 at 5:52 PM, GinBoy2 said:

The dust, hopefully, will have settled by next year and travel will have returned to some kind of normality.

By next year the dust may have settled for the Pan-Eurasian Super State, but the dust from the bones of the US wont settle for a long long time.

getting a tourist visa for a married wwe woman is  vastly  different than for a gf.  my 3 successful women got their tourist  visa 42-49 months  ago.  the one denial was 22 months ago, she was 40  and quite  beautiful  and sexy  looking.  dirty all these women no mention was made  of knowing a man in USA.   They all has nice detailed itineraries (hotel names  addresses,  phone numbers, bus schedules, car rental firms, etc) written down for  3-4 week visit.   they all made at least 22,000 baht/ mo some more.  The 3 successful ones had at least  300,000 baht in the bank.    the failed one had only 60,000.   A two or three-week trip is going to cost $150,000. Assuming you get $40,000 baht airfare. just a hotel in La first  night will be 6000. 

by the way all tourist visa issued  are good for 10 years and 6 month stay each visit.  But I've read  that if you visit to often and stay so long without means of support  you may be denied entry at the US airport.   

If I didn't say this in my prior post I made a mistake with the last moment after we filled out her ds-160 I went to the bank t in BKK to pay the hundred and sixty-five US dollars. The bank has you sign a form and so there was an American English written signature on this receipt that you are supposed to take to the interview. Also my GF wasn't   confident  she would get this.  I don't think she projected  the real desire to travel so far alone.  it would have been her first foreign trip.    I do feel something has changed in once  trump got in.  He isnt a fan of foreigners.    Kind of lock the gate after my dad  got in deal.  

Edited by Elkski