Thailand, Taiwan Risk Entering U.S. Watchlist for Currency Manipulation, UBS Says

webfact

Given that Thai Baht and the NTD are so similar in value, always wondered why the two countries did not link their currencies.  Then I stopped drinking so much.  

When it comes to Taiwan, I feel the US does a poor job sell its products there.   Thailand, on the other hand, tariffs are awful and should be held accountable by the US and other countries.  Also cha cha's cozy relationship with China is drawing scorn around the world.   

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

If anything, it gets stronger and the only real explanation is that the gov't is manipulating it.

No, the real explanation is that the fundamentals are solid.

A country is included in the monitoring list if it fulfills two of three benchmarks: a trade surplus with the U.S. of at least $20 billion

And per the above about fundamentals, Thailand is trying to get the baht down, which would help erase the trade surplus. Again, fundamentals, not gov't manipulation, is keeping the baht high.

That the US depicts Thailand as a currency manipulator, when the facts speak otherwise, just confirms the Trump administration is totally out to lunch.

• Thanks 1

What does meeting the statistical criteria for being a currency manipulator have to do with President Trump? Sorry I forgot everything wrong with the world is Trumps fault.
I thought Trump was actually being credited with establishing better relationships with Thailand than they have had in the past (But I’m sure someone will come up with a negative Trump spin for that)

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kerryd said:

It's amazed me through the last few months how Thailand's currency seems to have remained steady despite the huge losses in the tourism and hospitality industries, as well as the losses in manufacturing and agricultural sectors from reduced exports (due to reduced demands from overseas).

Why did that amaze you?

I don't think it's all rose scent and moonshine in any other country in the world, so Baht may get weaker, but that is compensated with all other currencies in the world moving in the same direction

1 hour ago, brianp0803 said:

What does meeting the statistical criteria for being a currency manipulator have to do with President Trump? Sorry I forgot everything wrong with the world is Trumps fault.
I thought Trump was actually being credited with establishing better relationships with Thailand than they have had in the past (But I’m sure someone will come up with a negative Trump spin for that)

It has nothing to do with Trump.  Read up on currency manipulation and the three things that lead to being placed on a watch list. Its not just the US that looks at these things.

• Like 2

I remember when Thailand was taken off the watch list and the baht soared like a rocket. I know nothing I just witnessed what I saw and anyone can follow the time line. There is so much hot money in thailand now from China and criminals laundering their washing in Thailand.  Let's see what eyes can see....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, DaftToPutRealName said:

America's fault that THB is manipulated? How so?

How about if America also manipulate dollar to make it weaker so American product will become more competitive instead of keep blaming others ?! But I doubt America will do that. America is an importer country after all rather than exporter country like China, Thailand, and Taiwan. So, America can only crying wolf. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Do you know what currency manipulation is and how it affects everything worldwide?  Might be a worldwide issue that they have been called out on since the UN does not do jack to ensure equality in financial circles and even the IMF does not look into.

Just maybe it is the Yanks that are  suppressing their own dollar. Your dear leader has stated he wants that done.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/trump-weaker-us-dollar

3 minutes ago, pegman said:

Just maybe it is the Yanks that are  suppressing their own dollar. Your dear leader has stated he wants that done.

Forget about the rights and wrongs.  The US is obviously a major correspondent in global funds movements.  

If you don't abide by their rules then the sideline it is and it isn't pretty.  

18 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Forget about the rights and wrongs.  The US is obviously a major correspondent in global funds movements.  

If you don't abide by their rules then the sideline it is and it isn't pretty.  

That is true but it ends to change.