Thailand could be a loser due to Covid-19, deglobalisation: Tisco analyst

webfact

1 hour ago, Andrew65 said:

An Australian friend was working for a Japanese company on an oil & gas project in Bangkok earlier this year. They were having to deal with a (clueless) soldier during discussions about the project, they pulled the plug on the entire deal and left Thailand because of this.

They couldn’t afford an advisor? 

8 minutes ago, Aspaltso said:

I think this is the most important part of this article. Everyone can talk about how Thailand hasn't diversified its investments, etc. (and no doubt that's having an effect on the economy), but  its Vietnam which is ultimately the biggest thorn in Thailand's side when it comes to manufacturing in SE Asia, and signing multiple free trade agreements with the EU, the U.S, and others. While Vietnam has been signing deals, Thailand has been left behind.

Many companies have left or are leaving Thailand for Vietnam.  One of them is Panasonic, and Nike is already in Vietnam as well.  Then talk about the automotive industry taking a hit with domestic sales down over 30% makes one wonder why the government does not relax the import fees so that the cars can be sold.  A Mercedes C class can be bought in the US for around 1.5 MBht, while here in Thailand the price is over 3 MBht.  Talk about overpriced vehicles.  Then add in what they want for these new condo's in Bangkok and you can buy a house in Hua Hin or outside the city for 1/3rd of the price and get 3x's more room.  I have also noticed food prices creeping up and then one wonders why the gap between the haves and have nots has widened.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

I have also noticed food prices creeping up and then one wonders why the gap between the haves and have nots has widened.

Starbucks was more expensive in Thailand compared to the Netherlands, not sure if that is still the case. 

12 minutes ago, Mung said:

Starbucks was more expensive in Thailand compared to the Netherlands, not sure if that is still the case. 

A big Caffè Latte, in Netherlands E 4,10. Last time I was in the Starbucks in BKK I payed 140 Baht. It depends on the exchange rate, it is now a bit cheaper here.

Similar things you also see with the McDonalds.

Solutions :

open up the wider business market to foreign ownership
bin the foreign business act

open up the labour market 

get rid of loss making and corrupt public sector control in numerous areas

there you go...

every cloud has a silver lining, I am hoping the current economic malaise will trigger major developments on some of the above. 

Edited by realfunster
Spelling

The guy has some good things to say

but IMO,

It might work out better for Thailand if they don't embrace technology and industry being worked by robotics.

Those countries will just have worse problems with income inequality,

and huge economic and social problems from the unemployment technology brings.

And as for this spiel from every country that they havent got labour at home and need to look for immigrants workers...

well, thats the biggest lie ever thats been spun for the last 40 years.

Greedy corporations everywhere dont want to employ their own nationals..

they can get immigrants to do the same job for 25% less

1 hour ago, pookondee said:

It might work out better for Thailand if they don't embrace technology and industry being worked by robotics.

Those countries will just have worse problems with income inequality,

and huge economic and social problems from the unemployment technology brings.

Yes!  Everybody back to the rice fields. Away with income inequality!  Haven't they tried that before in Cambodia?

Edited by dimitriv
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Aspaltso said:

but  its Vietnam which is ultimately the biggest thorn in Thailand's side when it comes to manufacturing in SE Asia, and signing multiple free trade agreements with the EU, the U.S, and others. While Vietnam has been signing deals, Thailand has been left behind.

Protecting the interests of some rich family businesses in Thailand is much more important than free trade and competition.  

10 hours ago, mokwit said:

Thailand is more likely to be a winner from companies relocating out of China.

if thailands not carefull it could find itself economically colonised by china.

Edited by kingdong

1 hour ago, dimitriv said:

A big Caffè Latte, in Netherlands E 4,10. Last time I was in the Starbucks in BKK I payed 140 Baht. It depends on the exchange rate, it is now a bit cheaper here.

Similar things you also see with the McDonalds.

Well in Australia ( Perth ) I pay for a large pizza delivered 15 dollars ( about 300 baht )

The last time I had a pizza in Thailand I paid a lot more just eating in a pizza place.

I can buy a pizza here for 5 dollars ( regular size, eat in or pick up )

1 hour ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Well in Australia ( Perth ) I pay for a large pizza delivered 15 dollars ( about 300 baht )

The last time I had a pizza in Thailand I paid a lot more just eating in a pizza place.

I can buy a pizza here for 5 dollars ( regular size, eat in or pick up )

2 large pizza's delivered from Pizza Hut are a bit over 600 Baht.  That's more than what I would pay in the Netherlands.

600 Baht for 2 pizza's or 140 baht for a Caffe Latte is crazy if you can buy a Pad Thai for 40 Baht.

In Italy, pizza is the food for the poor.

I never understood the psychology of pricing in Thailand. I know that there are Thai people who make enough money.  And even if it is only 10% of the population...  With over 8 million people in Bangkok there are enough people who can afford it.

But you would expect that a new company would see a market for cheaper pizza's. 

38 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

I never understood the psychology of pricing in Thailand.

Prestige pricing.

Prestige Pricing. a pricing strategy in which prices are set at a high level, recognising that lower prices will inhibit sales rather than encourage them and that buyers will associate a high price for the product with superior quality; also called Image Pricing.

• Like 1