The week that was in Thailand news: If you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em! How Thaivisa might change your life!

rooster59

An interesting read as always.

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

Another story proclaimed that “No one knows what Thailand is doing right, but so far it’s working”. That mantra will have to do for now. While the economic impact has been utterly devastating for many in Thailand there is still the silver lining, generally perceived, that a high death toll has been averted due to some very good practice.

While I am sincerely pleased that so few have gotten sick and/or died, I ponder the question of whether what Thailand is doing virus-wise is correct. And then, I ponder some more. Then, I re-ponder what I previously pondered and ponder if I pondered correctly in the first ponder.

I have written and erased 17 paragraphs of ideas; none of them seem quite right.

I need to ponder things a bit more...

Have a good week everyone!

Edited by Samui Bodoh
Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death!
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

While I am sincerely pleased that so few have gotten sick and/or died, I ponder the question of whether what Thailand is doing virus-wise is correct. And then, I ponder some more. Then, I re-ponder what I previously pondered and ponder if I pondered correctly in the first ponder.

I have written and erased 17 paragraphs of ideas; none of them seem quite right.

I'm less ponder and more pond life..I don't know what to believe!

Rooster

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Being a diehard horse racing fan...

Much like you, I have lived in Thailand for quite awhile. Unfortunately, I know less today than I did back then. Anyway, here is another old photo of Bangkok for your walls. Last I heard the race track had been torn down. 

Your Sunday column is part of my Sunday ritual. Thanks.

horse running 2.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, George Bowman said:

Much like you, I have lived in Thailand for quite awhile. Unfortunately, I know less today than I did back then. Anyway, here is another old photo of Bangkok for your walls. Last I heard the race track had been torn down. 

Your Sunday column is part of my Sunday ritual. Thanks.

horse running 2.jpg

Thanks for the picture...I am guessing that is Nang Lerng racecourse as RBSC remains open. I have happy memories of trips to both tracks.

It's always nice to hear that people read the column regularly and look forward to it. Cheers and have a good weekend.

Rooster

"While this is unlikely to be far from the truth, it will be interesting to see what the family of the policeman have to say. Their silence screams money”. "

That was something that I realized will never change in Thailand. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lks7689 said:

"While this is unlikely to be far from the truth, it will be interesting to see what the family of the policeman have to say. Their silence screams money”. "

That was something that I realized will never change in Thailand. 

That the family that asked for no charges to be laid when they receive 3 million in compensation a few years ago ?

"Suggestions that 90% of Thais don’t want foreigners back have their roots in virus resurgence jitters. It’s not xenophobia manifesting itself, just a general fear that can be seen the world over."

1459 Thais are hardly a statistical manifestation of anything.

• Like 2

Is there a surfeit of Royal Thai Police Generals? Does it really require a General to arrest three illegal Bangladesh immigrants crossing over from Cambodia. Perhaps the General just happened to be on site as the illegals came across the 'stream'! Obviously a very lucky or knowledgable copper, hence his rank!

Perhaps Rooster would provide some inside info in his next column. Which I have only recently discovered and enjoy reading.

FGMR

It must be Sunday, I've a mug of hot tea, a comfy chair and rooster! Only 59! Get some time up, you're a tourist! A lovely read and full of information as usual. I hope you enjoyed your birthday!

• Like 1

Having lived & worked here for 30 years, driven some 1.2 mil Km around the country I read your comments with great interest & noticed plenty of truth between the lines.

As guests here we do need to bite our tongue & yes i get myself into some troubles on numerous occassions like asking when Thong Lor Police stations benefactor  Red Bull signs are going to be erected.

Oh, never mind, a good read, thanks

• Like 1

Yes on the Explosion in the Crematorium ....

Yes, most Crematoriums in Thailand ? …  Well most certainly around where I used to live, are powered by Diesel these days .... Like far more Environmental ? Well focal fuel ? BUT a lot less Trees being used for Burning Bodies, ! … Straight on and Off, Red = Stopped, … and hit Green to Goooo.... No wood is used at all in these new tech, Great Burning machines ! . …  Though well, it looks like it might be an idea to keep your eye on the level of Diesel in the tank ! … Or maybe they get fuel Blocks ? … Or the tank runs out of Diesel ? ... And the feed gets Testy !!! ... And they are Fan Forced also ….. so yes …Vwwwoooommmppp !!! it would be possible obviously …

.... I always wondered... but it probably would have been a Diesel Oil problem here I am sure ... like the new fire boxes are Push Button, but I wondered about the Maintenance of all of the Technology, and basic Fuel Technology when I looked at the back of our Local one !!!

...Our Undertaker having just died in his 50's ... and God Bless … Just a Bit ! Like a bottle or two of Lao Cow per Funeral,  .... Wan. ...

I asked him one day ... over a shot or two .... Him being the funeral, Boots on the ground man, to make sure the whole body burns man (And he showed me how to do it on wood at least ? … Like you need a long, evil looking steel Hook ! Right ) ...

So I asked him one day, as he was finishing getting the job well on the way …  "So where do you think the spirit goes of the Dead people that you Burn" ??? And his answer was Great !!! .... With a Rye Jack Nickerson Smile ... He Grinned at me, ... Turned to the Crematorium, ... and indicating with his finger, ….  Saying "Up the Chimney" !!! ....

Like Yearrrr. ... I was suitably impressed with his practice ability, and basic real  knowledge  .... And had another shot !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

I'm less ponder and more pond life..I don't know what to believe!

Rooster

Couldn't agree more!  The more I read and research, the more wide-ranging

all the information appears to be.  I believe that it comes down to what you

want to believe, what your instinct tells you.  And that sounds like a rationale

conclusion to me.

“The Dollar and the Pound continued on an upward trajectory this week...”.  Well, you’ve got that half right—USD down 11 Satang yesterday, while the Euro continues to skyrocket.

Thanks for your observations.  As a TV newbie (13 months now), I appreciate your perspectives.

18 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The Wais and the OCD-level cleanliness of the Thais have a lot to do with it. Another is the innate respect of the Thais for authority and the mainly sensible precautions the population is being asked to take.

18 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

While I am sincerely pleased that so few have gotten sick and/or died, I ponder the question of whether what Thailand is doing virus-wise is correct. And then, I ponder some more. Then, I re-ponder what I previously pondered and ponder if I pondered correctly in the firont blame the zst ponder.

I have written and erased 17 paragraphs of ideas; none 

seem quite right.

Me too. It's not so difficult to see why the US, UK and even EU countries are still seeing bad and rising numbers again. And the French just can't resist la bise. If you are going to kiss others at least once on each cheek every time you say hello and goodbye what can one expect? In the workplace it's a bise fest morning, noon and night. Family get togethers? Another bise fest. You get my drift. Its no wonder with restrictions eased the R number is rising again and above 1, which is the break even point for increasing or decreasing infection rates.

I can't criticise the Thais for keeping foreigners out. And wanting no easing of that. But they are being harsh on those here like me with spouse, family, who can't get an extension and must leave by 26 Sept now or face the normal consequence of overstay and not knowing when it is feasible to return, to some extent depending on the depth of your love and your wallet as those stuck outside in this situation are already finding out.

At least France has always let those resident there in  during this crisis ie: with a carte de séjour of at least 1 year validity and bring spouses and children. Quarantining?. Yes, but in your own home and as a family.

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

That the family that asked for no charges to be laid when they receive 3 million in compensation a few years ago ?

But surely the next step should be for the legal system to take over, and if it is felt that there is a case to answer, there should be a trial - regardless of how much "pay off" money has been paid to the victim's family - it is usually used by the defence  lawyer to say that "my client has already made a "wai" and paid x million baht to the victim's family" in order to achieve a lighter sentence (in the same way as pleading guilty can often reduce a possible sentence by up to 50%).

Unfortunately, in this "non case" it never even got up the courtroom steps, in spite of what to most appeared a clear instance of a drunk/high driver speeding, knocking  someone off his motor bike, and then dragging that person under his car for several metres before speeding home and trying to convince people that he was innocent, but fleeing the country 2 days before he had a chance to prove it in court!   

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sambum said:

Unfortunately, in this "non case" it never even got up the courtroom steps, in spite of what to most appeared a clear instance of a drunk/high driver speeding, knocking  someone off his motor bike,

And yet there is no evidence of this, instead there is witnesses claiming to have seen the accident and it was the policeman at fault.

Rooster- always enjoy reading your take on the cultural divide here.  We shall never know fully the culture here.  I've been married to a great Thai woman for 47 years.  The intercultural aspects are far more important than the so-called interracial aspects.  I could swear someone mentioned the teenager whose poor driving forced a van off an overpass (flyover) which killed nine law students.  What did she do to put her record straight?  My wife says she went to reform school.

Terry

( a few miles south of Hua Hin )

Edited by Fortean1
lines were offset

4 hours ago, TPI said:

It must be Sunday, I've a mug of hot tea, a comfy chair and rooster! Only 59! Get some time up, you're a tourist! A lovely read and full of information as usual. I hope you enjoyed your birthday!

I usually loathe my birthday but this year was very pleasant. I was woken at 7am by my four year old saying "Happy birthday daddy" and both her and the older one had made a lovely card with a special message in Thai and English. Mrs R's preparation for the evening meal was a huge English Breakfast with lots of baked beans. 

No one cared to be very close to me after that....enabling me to enjoy Enable's victory at Ascot in serene peace.

Thanks for being one of my most positive readers. 

Rooster

3 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Me too. It's not so difficult to see why the US, UK and even EU countries are still seeing bad and rising numbers again. And the French just can't resist la bise. If you are going to kiss others at least once on each cheek every time you say hello and goodbye what can one expect? In the workplace it's a bise fest morning, noon and night. Family get togethers? Another bise fest. You get my drift. Its no wonder with restrictions eased the R number is rising again and above 1, which is the break even point for increasing or decreasing infection rates.

I can't criticise the Thais for keeping foreigners out. And wanting no easing of that. But they are being harsh on those here like me with spouse, family, who can't get an extension and must leave by 26 Sept now or face the normal consequence of overstay and not knowing when it is feasible to return, to some extent depending on the depth of your love and your wallet as those stuck outside in this situation are already finding out.

At least France has always let those resident there in  during this crisis ie: with a carte de séjour of at least 1 year validity and bring spouses and children. Quarantining?. Yes, but in your own home and as a family.

I hear what you are saying about "la bise" - my dad was French and born near Le Mans. Our family holidays they featured the terrible embarrassment - for me, basically a Brit - of bise-fests with our relatives!

Thanks for reading. 

Rooster