Multiple-Entry Non-O Visa Based on Marriage during COVID-19

Just now, Tanoshi said:

In short and I regret sadly the answer is no.

If they ask for the proof of source of income, many IO's will only accept proof from a Pension statement.

You need the proof of overseas transfers from a Thai bank.

OK thanks, guess I have to go back to my local immigration office again to ask them if they only will accept a pension statement as source of the transfer as that's not possible and to see what they can accept instead as the proof of the origin is not the problem as I'm sure my bank here can prove that along with my bank book.

14 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Your post has caused me to ask is it possible to get the first year extension based on income then changing to the 400,000 Baht in the bank method at a latter date?Does anyone know if this is possible?

It is possible, but when remaining in country and to avoid any problems with Immigration on your next application for a continuation of your 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, you would need to meet the requirements of BOTH methods simultaneously in order to be able to switch.

In your case that would mean:

- continuing with the +40K monthly income-transfers, so that you can show such transfers during each and every month of the 12 months preceding your application for the new 1-year extension of stay (thereby proving that you did meet the financial conditions of your permission to stay); AND

- transferring +400K in the two months preceding your application for the 1-year extension of stay and keeping that +400K there during the full 2 months (and until your application for the 1-year extension of stay has been approved, which might take 3-4 weeks).

> Once approved, there is no need any more for the +40K monthly income-transfers, nor for keeping the 400K on your personal thai bank-account.  You would only need to top up again 10 months later, to show +400K in your personal thai bank-account for the 2 months preceding your next application for the 1-year extension of stay.

Alternatively, you could exit Thailand at the end of your current 1-year permission to stay, and return Visa Exempt.  Then in the 15 days (some IOs require 23 days) before the 30-days permission to stay from that VisaExempt entry expires, apply at your local for a NEW 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.  You would then need to show that there is +400K on your personal thai bank-account on the moment of application for that 90-day Visa.  And then in the last month of that 90-days you can apply at that same local IO for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.  Your 400K will have seasoned already 2 months by then when doing that application, and you can deplete it when you did get the 1-year permission to stay stamp at the end of the 'under consideration period' which can take 3-4 weeks.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

It is possible, but when remaining in country and to avoid any problems with Immigration on your next application for a continuation of your 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, you would need to meet the requirements of BOTH methods simultaneously in order to be able to switch.

In your case that would mean:

There is no written rule requiring that for a extension based upon marriage.

I doubt very few offices would be pedant enough to make a problem about doing it.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Relocating a couple of days before application, will SURELY work when your local IO does not  want to handle your application for the 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your thai wife/dependant child, because you are on the Amnesty.

It would similarly work if you apply for the 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

The only case where you might experience some trouble, is when directly applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of MARRIAGE.

Some IOs (not all) would pay you an announced or non-announced visit during the 'under consideration period' to check whether you and your thai wife are indeed staying at that new place you relocated to.

>> This 'relocation option' is certainly worth considering when you are with your back against the wall because of your local IO refusing to accept your application for the 60-day or 1-year extension of stay, because of you being on the Amnesty. 

When the alternative is being forced to leave Thailand at the end of the Amnesty, it's just a matter of finding a more accomodating IO and temporarily relocating there.

Note: When you first apply for the 60-day extension of stay at that new IO, you could of course once you got that 60-day permission to stay relocate back to your 'real' home.  The difference being that you would now be able to apply for the 1-year extension of stay from a 'valid' permission to stay granted from the 60-day extension of stay, which would be accepted by your local IO.

"This 'relocation option' is certainly worth considering when you are with your back against the wall because of your local IO refusing to accept your application for the 60-day or 1-year extension of stay, because of you being on the Amnesty."

Have you heard of examples of this where people are not able to extend for a year after using a 60 day extension? And if so, what exact offices were the examples from? 

It seems to me, the wording of the amnesty, that this is almost what they are telling people to do (extend for one year between now and sept 26). 

29 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I doubt very few offices would be pedant enough to make a problem about doing it.

It doesn't have to be in writing, they can set their own requirements.

It's been reported on the forum already and my IO is the same.

It isn't a problem when using Embassy Income letters, but if using the monthly income in a Thai bank, they request proof of transfers for the preceding year following the change.

It is always advisable to check with your local IO beforehand if you intend changing income/funds or even for change of reason of the extension.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, time2093 said:

the proof of the origin is not the problem as I'm sure my bank here can prove that along with my bank book.

Sorry I'm appearing negative, but that is not my intention.

Depending on how you make your transfers and who you bank with in Thailand could make a difference as to how you obtain that proof of an overseas transfer.

The Thai banking system is not like the European banks.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Hi UJ,

Are you suggesting that @FarFlungFalang could simply stop the +40K monthly income transfers for the rest of the year, and wait till 2.5 months before his 1-year extension of stay is due to expire and then transfer the +400K to his personal thai bank-account so that he can show 2-months of 400K on the day of application for the continuation of his 1-year extension of stay?

Would that not be a risky undertaking when his local IO is of the 'difficult' kind?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Are you suggesting that @FarFlungFalang could simply stop the +40K monthly income transfers for the rest of the year, and wait till 2.5 months before his 1-year extension of stay is due to expire and then transfer the +400K to his personal thai bank-account so that he can show 2-months of 400K on the day of application for the continuation of his 1-year extension of stay?

Would that not be a risky undertaking when his local IO is of the 'difficult' kind?

I was just saying it is not requirement.

Perhaps not completely stop but just not meet the requirements to apply again would be better. No proof the transfers came from abroad or lower than 40k baht or no proof of the source.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi UJ,

Today I requested the letter from the Oz embassy after watching the Australian Ambassador's video saying they will issue the letter to any who request it.I'll wait until the letter comes before going in to Immigration here in Yasothon to try and see if they'll be more accommodating in accepting an application for a one year marriage extension as I now have the 400,000 Baht waiting in my Oz bank.If I get an extra 2 weeks past the 26th of September and they approve the application I'll be happy as Larry.

13 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Typo, surely you mean 400,00 Baht in your Thai bank account.

Nah no typo I'm going for the 400,000 Baht in the bank for 2 months method as I can't get the pension for another 7 years and my imm office seem to be sticklers for the rules as it's a new office without an entrenched dodgy brothers system established yet.

I"m not going to transfer the money to Thailand unless I get conformation they will process my application for 1 year extension.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Nah no typo I'm going for the 400,000 Baht in the bank for 2 months method as I can't get the pension for another 7 years and my imm office seem to be sticklers for the rules as it's a new office without an entrenched dodgy brothers system established yet.

I"m not going to transfer the money to Thailand unless I get conformation they will process my application for 1 year extension.

Yes, you cannot get it seasoned for 2 months anymore by 26 September.

So if your IO is willing to accept your application for the 1-year extension of stay, it would have to be a +40K transfer with foreign origins proven in the month of August and September.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes, you cannot get it seasoned for 2 months anymore by 26 September.

So if your IO is willing to accept your application for the 1-year extension of stay, it would have to be a +40K transfer with foreign origins proven in the month of August and September.

Australia is having a second wave (as dodgy as it is it's officially a second wave) so I'm waiting to see if they will give my some leeway with the embassy letter which I suspect will say how terribly difficult it is to return to Oz for the foreseeable future,well that's the plan for now,plan B is to become a bushranger fugitive like our famous namesake Ned Kelly and how apt,except I'll be riding around Thailand on a bicycle and not a horse. 

Edited by FarFlungFalang

So what do you think will happen to those of us wIth a ME O VISA  which has expired and have used up their 60 day extension. Do you think that if the borders stay closed and the amnesty is not extended we will be on overstay and have to leave the country.  Given this scenario i cant see any any solution,  any ideas ?  

I will of course be in touch with immigration but its always nice to get advice and here the opinions of other members. 

10 minutes ago, CFCjeff said:

So what do you think will happen to those of us wIth a ME O VISA  which has expired and have used up their 60 day extension. Do you think that if the borders stay closed and the amnesty is not extended we will be on overstay and have to leave the country.  Given this scenario i cant see any any solution,  any ideas ?  

I will of course be in touch with immigration but its always nice to get advice and here the opinions of other members. 

Depends on quite a few things but mostly it depends on your local Immigration officer.You could try and get a letter from your embassy saying returning to your passport country is not recommended and prostrate yourself before your local Immigration officer pleading for mercy whilst offering a fistful of dollars!You could even join me on a bicycle and go on the run from the authorities yelling you'll never take us alive!For me to "leave Thailand" and get a visa (she said it like she'd never heard of Covid-19) will cost a minimum of 500,000 Baht (20,000 AUD) so even using an "agent" would be preferable.   

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You do realise is has to be in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

It can up to a further 30 days to approve the application.

as I can't get the pension for another 7 years

I hope you don't mean your Pension from Centrelink?

41 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

You could even join me on a bicycle and go on the run from the authorities yelling you'll never take us alive!

Be careful what you wish, that is often the case on Thai roads.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

You do realise is has to be in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

It can up to a further 30 days to approve the application.

I hope you don't mean your Pension from Centrelink?

Be careful what you wish, that is often the case on Thai roads.

I do realise about the 2 months which is why I'll be asking for a short extension prior to submitting an application.

I do mean the centrelink pension which is why the I wasn't going to do the income method but I've just realised something,does the income method for marriage have to be from a pension?If so why?Do only old age pensioners get married?Perhaps ubon joe could chime in on that one.If not then that might be an option?

As to your final point I've been threatened with being made a criminal for staying with my wife because of circumstances way beyond my control so if they incarcerate me and let Mr Redbull heir go that might draw some attention to our predicament.

On 7/28/2020 at 1:04 PM, possum1931 said:

The Thai government take 5000 Bt from you for this ME Visa based on marriage, if they close their borders, it is up to them to sort something out for you if things are the same on 26th Sept. But hey, this is Thailand, and they are not interested if fairness to anyone but themselves.

A little optimistic....

There is the option of A 12 month extension.

Edited by jacko45k

I do mean the centrelink pension which is why the I wasn't going to do the income method but I've just realised something,does the income method for marriage have to be from a pension?If so why?

Just be aware if your considered resident in Thailand your Centrelink pension will be refused when attaining pension age, unless you return to Australia for a period of 2 years.

When using the 400K funds in the bank method the source is never requested.

When using the 40K income method from overseas, the amended to order 138/2557 (Dec 2018) states in case of family members;

'Evidence of income of father, mother or husband who is an alien which shows that throughout a year, an average income is not less than 40,000 baht monthly'.

However then at (2) it states;

'Evidence showing pension - a letter of certification on deposit in the bank in Thailand and bank statement showing money transfer from overseas every month for the past 12 months.'

Although the source of the income is not always requested, if it is, some offices just home in on (2) and insist and will only accept evidence of income from a Pension.

Do only old age pensioners get married?

No, young age pensioners also get married.   ????

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

'Evidence of income of father, mother or husband who is an alien which shows that throughout a year, an average income is not less than 40,000 baht monthly'.

However then at (2) it states;

'Evidence showing pension - a letter of certification on deposit in the bank in Thailand and bank statement showing money transfer from overseas every month for the past 12 months.'

Thanks for the research.So where it says (2) stating "Evidence showing pension" do you know if this specifically relates to applications for the "marriage extension" or is it referring to "retirement extensions"?I understand some officers maybe mistakenly applying it to the marriage extension but I can't see any reason why it would "actually" apply to those applying for the marriage extension for obvious reasons,although what's obvious to some isn't always obvious to all.

Also 

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The way this is written a lump sum of 480,000 baht in one year would "average" out to 40,000 each month.I know I'm being pedantic but those enforcing the regs also tend to be pedantic so do lawyers and the like and many legal cases are often decided on technicalities similar to these points I've raised.

Another point is do they have an appeals process?

20 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Thanks for the research.So where it says (2) stating "Evidence showing pension" do you know if this specifically relates to applications for the "marriage extension" or is it referring to "retirement extensions"?I understand some officers maybe mistakenly applying it to the marriage extension but I can't see any reason why it would "actually" apply to those applying for the marriage extension for obvious reasons,although what's obvious to some isn't always obvious to all.

That pertains to section 2.18, specifically marriage.

138-2557 (2019 )Supp Ev Income Eng P.pdf

The way this is written a lump sum of 480,000 baht in one year would "average" out to 40,000 each month.I know I'm being pedantic but those enforcing the regs also tend to be pedantic so do lawyers and the like and many legal cases are often decided on technicalities similar to these points I've raised.

If using a lump sum deposited in a Thai bank, this is commonly referred to as the 'funds' method requiring only 400K for 2 months prior to the date of application, then once the application has been approved you can withdraw and spend the lot - repeat the following year.

The 'income' method requires monthly overseas transfers of 40K (even though it states average monthly income) many IO's will not accept anything less than a minimum 40K monthly transfer (totalling 480K over the year) The very first application for an annual extension based on marriage only requires 2 x 40K transfers, but subsequent extension will require 12 x 40K transfers. The 40K can be withdrawn and used immediately after transfer.

If you can afford to deposit 400K and use the 'funds' method each year, it is far simpler than using the 'income' method.

Another point is do they have an appeals process?

Avenues exist to make complaints, but not appeals as such.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2020 at 8:28 AM, steve187 said:

they will not 'smarten up' as multi non 'O' married are for people living in Thailand, i dont see why you are on a multi visa if you have money in the bank, its a far more expensive route to take, just the visa alone is 5000thb as opposed to an extension at 1,900, unless of course you are leaving every 90 days for a work related issue

I do not know where to post this but just renewed my extension based on marriage using monthly income method. Please note, the online application form is not up to date and had to be redone at immigration. It is essential to get 12 months bank statements which is in.Bangkok  Bangkok branch needs to be requested 1 week in advance(200bht fee). Passport photos and photos outside of house, inside of house and in bedroom need to be high quality ( selfies of house not accepted). COROR 2 from local Amphoe needs to be up to date in addition to marriage certificates. 

all items to be duplicated and presented

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ecoscape said:

I do not know where to post this but just renewed my extension based on marriage using monthly income method. Please note, the online application form is not up to date and had to be redone at immigration. It is essential to get 12 months bank statements which is in.Bangkok  Bangkok branch needs to be requested 1 week in advance(200bht fee). Passport photos and photos outside of house, inside of house and in bedroom need to be high quality ( selfies of house not accepted). COROR 2 from local Amphoe needs to be up to date in addition to marriage certificates. 

all items to be duplicated and presented

Boom, congrats! which IO? had you used 60 day extension already? did they ask for proof of source of income?

Edited by stoicccc

2 minutes ago, wasas said:

I also have this o visa based on marriage, and its not due to expire until 18 sept.I went to local immigration yesterday to change a car  name over to some one else. and was told i cant do it as i now have NO VISA.

I entered thailand 17 jan, got my three month stamp, 13 april i was due to go for my 90 day out of the country for stamp, but borders closed,

So local immigration said my visa finished 13 april. I SAID CAN I USE MY 60 EXTENSION, THEY SAID YES BUT WE WILL BACK DATE TO 13 APRIL, WHICH MEANS ITS USELESS,. 

They also said depending on the immigration officer if i apply for one year extension of stay, he might start the stay from 13 april, meaning i lose six months

Which IO was this?  There have indeed been reports of some rogue IOs not accepting your application for the 60-day extension of stay (or when doing so, wanting to back-date it and thus rendering it useless) or for the 1-year extension of stay, and this because you are not on a 'valid' permission to stay, but on the Amnesty extension.

In that case relocation to a more accomodating IO would be indicated.

Attached a link to a post in another thread addressing the 'relocation option' in case your local IO is not willing to accept your application for an extension of stay, because of you being on the Amnesty.

>>

On 7/27/2020 at 7:26 PM, brain150 said:

The big problem it seems is that Immigration is actually not supposed to give you a Visa !

That's the job of an Embassy or Consulate abroad !

That's the biggest issue at the moment !

Getting a visa on any normal way is pretty much impossible.

And Immigration is not really the instance to solve this problem !

They can only handle "permissions to stay" ... and not visas !

To understand this is the core to the problem many people have ... and I don't see that the Government WANTS to solve this problem !

If they want to really solve the problem they would just set up a consular service inside Thailand for the time being

that issues Visas ... obviously they don't do this [at least not right now]

Setting up a consular service is a great solution for issuing visa's without leaving the country. I see there are a lot of people in similar situation not wanting to leave Thailand as they have no need to.

Just got back from Jomtien IO where I got my 60 day extension to visit family. I'm here on a 1 year non-O (expires September 23rd) and my latest out/in was March 3rd. 

Why do it now? I wanted to test the waters and if possible return to a "legal alien" status with an actual stamp in my passport (makes me feel a lot better).

In addition, I transferred 400k two weeks ago so when that's seasoned 2 months I will apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage so I will be able to do that two weeks before my current permission to stay expires.

I filled out the attached TM 7 form but was told to go and fill out the new one so did that. I'll add that I did not see any difference between the old and new form.

Returned with the filled in form and was told to get a new queue number even though there were no one at the counter. So, a bit of b@!! busting but nothing I didn't expect.

All in all it took us about an hour in a far from busy IO.

Papers handed in:

-Passport (main page, TM card, visa page, entry stamp)

-Wife's house book

-Wife's ID card

-Marriage certificate

-Passport photos - 2 pcs.

-Kor Ror 2 (still married)

In addition I handed in a copy of the address notification receipt slip from my latest arrival.

tm7.pdf

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

Just got back from Jomtien IO where I got my 60 day extension to visit family. I'm here on a 1 year non-O (expires September 23rd) and my latest out/in was March 3rd. 

Why do it now? I wanted to test the waters and if possible return to a "legal alien" status with an actual stamp in my passport (makes me feel a lot better).

In addition, I transferred 400k two weeks ago so when that's seasoned 2 months I will apply for a 1 year extension based on marriage so I will be able to do that two weeks before my current permission to stay expires.

I filled out the attached TM 7 form but was told to go and fill out the new one so did that. I'll add that I did not see any difference between the old and new form.

Returned with the filled in form and was told to get a new queue number even though there were no one at the counter. So, a bit of b@!! busting but nothing I didn't expect.

All in all it took us about an hour in a far from busy IO.

Papers handed in:

-Passport (main page, TM card, visa page, entry stamp)

-Wife's house book

-Wife's ID card

-Marriage certificate

-Passport photos - 2 pcs.

-Kor Ror 2 (still married)

In addition I handed in a copy of the address notification receipt slip from my latest arrival.

tm7.pdf 81.6 kB · 0 downloads

"I'm here on a 1 year non-O (expires September 23rd)."

What do you mean by a 1 year non-O? The difference between the old and new TM7 form is at the bottom. Read it and you'll see, and in the square where you put the photo, the requirement about the photo is in English. 

45 minutes ago, Inderpland said:

Thanks for the report.

What surprises me is that the b@//busting officer handling your application for the 60-day extension of stay, did not suggest you to come back after the weekend. 

Because now you did receive a permission to stay till 27 September (60 days from today).

But when applying after the weekend (when the Amnesty extension will have taken effect) , say 3 August, the Immigration Amnesty prolongation Announcement mentions that any extensions will have 27 September as start date, so that would have provided you with a permission to stay till 24 November.

But indeed 'piece of mind' is also worth something... and since you already transferred the +400K to meet the financial requirements for your 1-year extension of stay at the end of your 60 days permission to stay, it doesn't matter so much.

Edited by Peter Denis

59 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"I'm here on a 1 year non-O (expires September 23rd)."

What do you mean by a 1 year non-O?

Since he applied for an extension to visit family and had marriage certificate it must be a one year Non O based on marriage.

Edited by Phoenix Rising