Are British Blue passports issued yet in UK?

I've read a couple of reports over the last few months about the new blue British passports being delayed for various reasons.

If anyone here applied for a British passport recently, what colour did you receive Red or Blue?  

I'm in the UK, need a new passport but as I can't go anywhere yet I might as well wait until the new Blue version is being issued, 

Thanks 

6 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

reading the uk newspapers it seems that they are months behind in the issuing of any passports or driving licences.

Thanks. Yes I've read about the backlog due to Covid19, but I'd like to know, if I apply for one now' what colour it would be. I understand they were going to use-up all the old red ones first, I presume they've done that by now. Then the passport office said that after March they would all be Blue, but apparently that wasn't always the case a couple of months or so ago. So 'm hoping someone reading this has recent experience of applying for a passport in the UK. 

• Haha 1

Don't believe what the press tell you ! Had a friend in UK who renewed using the online system, uploaded all the details including photo paid by bank card  and got the new passport after 10 days ! Very dark blue almost black he told me and your photo appears on other pages not just the main info page .

IMG_20200727_221937.jpg

Edited by pixelaoffy
  • Like 1
16 minutes ago, samsingsong said:

Thanks for that, I should certainly get a blue one by now then.

About how long did it take? Maybe you applied before lockdown? 

Yes you will be will be issued in the new form of uk passport,  as far as I know uk had left the EU so all new passports would be different from the red one.

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I don't care what colour it is, red or blue, it's just a passport, mine is currently red.

I personally care a lot more about the cumbersome bureaucracy involved in obtaining a new passport here in Thailand (with particular regard to the 2 enforced route marches to Bangkok) rather than its colour!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, OJAS said:

I personally care a lot more about the cumbersome bureaucracy involved in obtaining a new passport here in Thailand (with particular regard to the 2 enforced route marches to Bangkok) rather than its colour!

And for that reason i got my last passport when on holiday in the UK .the British embassy now is a joke ,a bad one.

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

Its not difficult to get to BKK/CM from anywhere in Thailand , plenty of flights , buses and trains running regularly and cheaply and you only have to make the journey twice every ten years .

Not such a difficult thing to do , would you like the UK Ambassador to personally come and visit you are give you a new passport ?

10 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

It was because the E.U rules forced the UK to make the UK passports in France 

I don't think that's true. EU rules meant that it had to be an "open" bidding process with European firms allowed to submit bids. However as far as I know, it was completely up to the UK government to decide who to award the contract to. It was solely the British government's decision to have the passports manufactured in France, no-one else's.

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I don't think that's true. EU rules meant that it had to be an "open" bidding process with European firms allowed to submit bids. However as far as I know, it was completely up to the UK government to decide who to award the contract to. It was solely the British government's decision to have the passports manufactured in France, no-one else's.

No, due to E.U rules, the UK Gov were not told which Country the applications came from .

All the bids were anonymous and the UK Gov were not allowed to favour a UK Company  

4 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

No, due to E.U rules, the UK Gov were not told which Country the applications came from .

All the bids were anonymous and the UK Gov were not allowed to favour a UK Company  

Thank God all that nonsense ending ! EU the failed project. Nations disunited and a dying federal organisation

11 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes you will be will be issued in the new form of uk passport,  as far as I know uk had left the EU so all new passports would be different from the red one.

As you're probably aware there was no rule insisting that passports had to be burgundy, however the UK chose to issue them, even though there was no requirement  to do so, Croatia has blue passports.

Ironically the blue passports were imposed on us by the League of Nations back in the 1920's.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/22/blue-passports-taking-back-control-imposed-league-of-nations-burgundy-passport-eu

40 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Its not difficult to get to BKK/CM from anywhere in Thailand , plenty of flights , buses and trains running regularly and cheaply and you only have to make the journey twice every ten years .

Not such a difficult thing to do , would you like the UK Ambassador to personally come and visit you are give you a new passport ?

Other embassies seem to manage OK using the EMS system- my Canadian passport was back within ten days of sending it to Bangkok. Why does the Embassy/its outsourced place need to be different?

I know someone who is sending his passport up to an agent in Pattaya to complete the process. It may not be difficult to travel twice to Bangkok but add on all the extraneous costs of taxis/parking/accommodation et al TWICE but its totally unnecessary-- it IS a PITA.

Brit passport is also DOUBLE the cost of renewing it in the UK, I'm a dual national- sent my pport back to the UK ( process (explained elsewhere and totally legal as I am in the country on my Can Pport) with the online form, pport back within a week to the UK address at half the cost of doing it here. 

4 hours ago, theoldgit said:

As you're probably aware there was no rule insisting that passports had to be burgundy, however the UK chose to issue them, even though there was no requirement  to do so, Croatia has blue passports.

Ironically the blue passports were imposed on us by the League of Nations back in the 1920's.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/22/blue-passports-taking-back-control-imposed-league-of-nations-burgundy-passport-eu

I like my blue one no EU. ????

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:
16 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I don't care what colour it is, red or blue, it's just a passport, mine is currently red.

Yes but my new blue one hasn't got mafia EU on it.

And make sure you enjoy your visaless European travel while you still can.