If account dips below 800000 shortly after Non O-A extension based on retirement

I did my annual extension last week at CW. Then two days ago I was getting cash to buy something and inadvertently withdrew down to balance of 795,000. I've read I need to keep 800,000 for three months after extension. I will make deposit today to push it back up. But I worry this will cause me problem for next year's extension. Anything I can do to fix this now? Thanks.

12 minutes ago, moontang said:

Did you have any other accounts?

Actually, I have two others from Bangkok Bank -- one savings (14,000 baht) and the other fixed (100,000).  So I should be okay?

Tanoshi -- I have tried to open new fixed account just for that purpose (the one I mentioned above is from long time ago) but several branches said work permit was required.

And thanks to everyone else for helpful replies.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

Actually, I have two others from Bangkok Bank -- one savings (14,000 baht) and the other fixed (100,000).  So I should be okay?

Tanoshi -- I have tried to open new fixed account just for that purpose (the one I mentioned above is from long time ago) but several branches said work permit was required.

No problem, especially at the same bank..it just may require some extra copies..they can list both accounts on the same letter..use the fixed to supplement.

Edited by moontang

11 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

why not move 701k to the fixed account you already have?

2 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

why not move 701k to the fixed account you already have?

Bank said I could not add to it, can only continuously roll over the existing 100,000. Adding to the principal requires opening a new fixed account, which I can't do due to lack of work permit. That's what two Bkk Bk branches said.

that's strange.  are the clerks misinformed?  is it a special type of fixed account?

i've got bangkok bank accounts and sometimes add/subtract as needed to the fixed account, not always according to the interest schedule.

accounts are accessible online, so no need to visit the branch for this.

is the 795k also in a bangkok bank account?  that sort of transfer would show immediately, don't know about trying to transfer from another bank.  might get confusing for the io's with three accounts from two banks.

Edited by ChouDoufu

43 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

Your OK. 

I use an FD account and savings a/c

Means 2 bank letters and bankbook copies but all good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, peterdwje2 said:

Work permits are not required . If you need that branch for convenience contact head office.

3 hours ago, peterdwje2 said:

Bank said I could not add to it, can only continuously roll over the existing 100,000. Adding to the principal requires opening a new fixed account, which I can't do due to lack of work permit. That's what two Bkk Bk branches said.

Taking the clerk at her word (which is totally incorrect) if your on an extension based on retirement, which doesn't permit you to work, then why did they allow you to open a fixed term account in the first place.

You need to speak to the manager, HQ in Bangkok, or open a Fixed Term at another bank.

An FD can have multiple sub accounts within the same book, usually with account number extensions like 001, 002,003, etc..  you can never add to an existing sub account, until it rolls over, but you can buy a new FD at current rates any time..that is how I was able to get a balance forward for IO, I just bought a new 10,000 6 month fixed on the date I needed my new balance for immigration.

I was always of the belief that the 800,000 had to be in the bank 3 months before the extension was due and didn't realise that it was a requirement for it to be their 3 months after also. What is the point I ask myself.

We are supposed to have the cash their to show that we can support ourselves, but if you have a need to use it, for instance after a situation that requires immediate financial outlay, you are penalised. Crazy. Or am I missing something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, narisarasgroove said:

I was always of the belief that the 800,000 had to be in the bank 3 months before the extension was due and didn't realise that it was a requirement for it to be their 3 months after also. What is the point I ask myself.

We are supposed to have the cash their to show that we can support ourselves, but if you have a need to use it, for instance after a situation that requires immediate financial outlay, you are penalised. Crazy. Or am I missing something.

One hint is maybe that those on retirement extensions that had an O-A are required to have insurance that matches exactly extensions to non o retirement. 

800k hospital cover and 400k outpatient.

BTW it's 2 months prior

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, narisarasgroove said:

It was more BS they started last year..likely stemming from Jomtien, where broke retirees were known to share deposit money, as well as agents providing the money, and taking it out the next day.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

that's strange.  are the clerks misinformed?  is it a special type of fixed account?

i've got bangkok bank accounts and sometimes add/subtract as needed to the fixed account, not always according to the interest schedule.

is the 795k also in a bangkok bank account?  that sort of transfer would show immediately, don't know about trying to transfer from another bank.  might get confusing for the io's with three accounts from two banks.

3 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Taking the clerk at her word (which is totally incorrect) if your on an extension based on retirement, which doesn't permit you to work, then why did they allow you to open a fixed term account in the first place.

You need to speak to the manager, HQ in Bangkok, or open a Fixed Term at another bank.

The one fixed term account I have I opened with a branch manager who said she was giving me exception to the rule. But she is no longer there. 

Thanks again for helpful replies.

The three branches that turned down my attempt to open new fixed account all mentioned a work permit requirement. One showed me document below. I have not tried (US) embassy, but can't get acceptable "reference letter" from others on that list. Nor is it clear what such letter would state.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Fixed-Deposit-Account

12 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

The one fixed term account I have I opened with a branch manager who said she was giving me exception to the rule. But she is no longer there. 

whereabouts are you located?

do you own a condo?

have you tried the silom office, 2nd floor?

7 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

I don't know if they misinformed but three branches were clear that I could not add to existing fixed account, and needed work permit to open any new one. And no, it's a regular fixed account, not special. You mean you add money to the principal of your existing fixed account online? 

13 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

whereabouts are you located?

do you own a condo?

have you tried the silom office, 2nd floor?

In Bangkok and don't own condo. I have not tried Silom office. You have opened FD without work permit there? Was anything other than passport required?

28 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

Is that at CW? Have you been doing that each year? If so, it is reassuring.

CW last October. Zero issue.

I did require 2 bank letters and CW want see activity on the day. I made 2 deposits. Note for FD a/c the min deposit was 1000baht. 

Edited by DrJack54

7 minutes ago, peterdwje2 said:

In Bangkok and don't own condo. I have not tried Silom office. You have opened FD without work permit there? Was anything other than passport required?

I opened an FD account last year. I did get run around. My own bank didn't have a clue. Bangkok bank wanted something from my embassy along with something from my AU bank. Absolute rubbish.

These were main branches in Nanna area.

Went to green K bank with passport and lease. Think that was all. Opened FD a/c and savings on the spot zero issues. 

You need shop around. This bank account topic comes up often

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, peterdwje2 said:

I don't know if they misinformed but three branches were clear that I could not add to existing fixed account, and needed work permit to open any new one. And no, it's a regular fixed account, not special. You mean you add money to the principal of your existing fixed account online? 

just logged on to bualuang to check.  currently set up to xfer online into fixed, but not out of fixed.  i have xfer'd online into fixed twice.  looking at my bank books, the last time was june 2019 to season for my september extension application.  transferred in while i was still in china, so yeah, online.

FUNDS TRANSFER

Transfer funds between your Bangkok Bank accounts

Transfer funds to a third party that has accounts with Bangkok Bank

Transfer funds to a third party that has accounts with any other bank

You can optionally schedule funds transfers – immediate transfer, future transfer and regular transfer – for your Savings account, Fixed Deposit account, Sinmathaya Subthawee account and Current account. 

Note: Deposits into a Fixed Deposit account or Sinmathaya Subthawee account via Bualuang iBanking can be made between 6:00a.m. and 11:00p.m.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Digital-Banking/Bualuang-iBanking

they wanted "embassy letter" or work permit or condo deed or unobtainable swift reference.

they accepted a "free to marry" certificate from the embassy that had my bangkok address.  (didn't use the certificate of singleness for matrimony, so at least that wasn't a total waste.)  guess it depends on the clerk's mood that day.  silom should be able to set you up to access and xfer into your fixed account online.

once you get a fixed account, you don't need to make deposits to show activity for immigration.  when you get your bank statement at the CW bangkok bank branch, the clerk will do a hard update with the current date and account balance that will match the statement.

Edited by ChouDoufu