Painting room - cost

bkksteve123

I need to have walls and ceiling of 1 bedroom (approx. 35m2) painted and was quoted this:

Old plaster primer – 1,500 baht
1 tin of undercoat white pain – 1,420 baht
2 tins of bright cream paint 2,470 x 2 = 4,940 baht
1 Tin of white paint of the ceiling – 1,650 baht
Service fee 5,500 baht
Total – 15,000

I was expecting a bit less, but I don't know what typical costs would be. Does 15,000 THB seem reasonable?

Location is in East Pattaya, job is for 1 room of a 3 bedroom house, if that makes any difference.

If anyone has some recommendations of other painters, please feel free to share.

TIA

• Like 1

Were you expecting less re the materials or labour?  Obviously you can check on the materials.

But the labour does sound a bit exy--is the room empty---is it (walls) in bad condition?  do they have to move a lot of stuff around? if so then its 2 of them and its half days and come back. Nearly 4 coats of paint walls--a lot--If you are able to help move the furniture and use 1 guy---2--3,000 would I think be a good payment.

.** White ceiling when using a light color on the walls---went out fashion some years back---most people paint ceiling same color as the wall.

A common question that comes up when talking about paint is what color to paint the ceiling. For many years people didn’t sway from the “normal” white ceiling paint. This was the safe look and people didn’t think otherwise. Now, with so many options out there, painting ceilings just a “normal” white has become a thing of the past. https://plankandpillow.com/what-color-should-you-paint-your-ceiling/

hall-molly-web-730x1024.jpg

Edited by sanuk711

1 minute ago, sanuk711 said:

Were you expecting less re the materials or labour?  Obviously you can check on the materials.

But the labour does sound a bit exy--is the room empty---is it (walls) in bad condition?  do they have to move a lot of stuff around? if so then its 2 of them and its half days and come back. Nearly 4 coats of paint walls--a lot--If you are able to help move the furniture and use 1 guy---3,000 would I think be a good payment.

.** White ceiling when using a light color on the walls---went out fashion some years back---most people paint ceiling same color as the wall.

A common question that comes up when talking about paint is what color to paint the ceiling. For many years people didn’t sway from the “normal” white ceiling paint. This was the safe look and people didn’t think otherwise. Now, with so many options out there, painting ceilings just a “normal” white has become a thing of the past. https://plankandpillow.com/what-color-should-you-paint-your-ceiling/

hall-molly-web-730x1024.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

I was told it would be maybe 10 000 THB, so I was expecting a bit less on both materials and labour I suppose. I checked the prices of materials and they seem quite reasonable assuming they use the better quality items that I see online, but I don't know if that much paint is needed since I have never painted in my life. So I question the quantity and I wonder if they will actually buy the paint they are quoting. I'm not there myself so I cannot check or control it.

But you do make some good points. The room has a large bed, so that would need to be moved, the rest of the furniture is "built-in" (closet, night stand).

The room is now a dark green color, and I want to paint it white. The condition is average I think.

3 minutes ago, bkksteve123 said:

the rest of the furniture is "built-in" (closet, night stand).

So there is less to area paint then you quoted in first post-yes

there will be a checker somewhere on Google --area re paint=amount.

Yes they (Thai Chang) have a habit of under using what they (You ) buy, also of putting water into the paint --makes it quicker to apply. I'm in Issan, but  I am sure if you wait someone in Pattaya will come up with a contact number of a painter they have used.

Recommendation is the best form of contacting trades people IMO

so funny if you even believe that it will be painted for less.

There is the theory and the practice: of course minimum salary is 300/day, but no experienced painter will work for this.

15000 for the room is what anybody experienced will charge, whatever people will tell here.

Primer is the white undercoat of paint. So you don't need primer and an undercoat of white. If the room is already painted (i.e. not bare gypsum board) you only need to use primer if you are trying to cover a strong existing color.

I just finished painting three rooms. I bought 5 gallons of primer for 900 baht. For the colors...One gallon of paint covers 18 to 20 sq mtrs. I used 2.5 gallon tins that cost between 900 and 1,000 baht each depending on color choice. Cream white is at the cheaper end. Ceiling paint was even cheaper. Buy the paint yourself and pay what you think is fair for the labor.

You have to know exactly what paint they're buying, and exactly what steps they are going to take to determine whether it's a bargain or a ripoff.

Are they going to scrub walls and ceiling?

What condition if the existing in?

Are they going to skim-coat?

Are they painting doors and trim?

I agree the idea that you can get good painter for 3-400 a day is not realistic. I assume to do a decent job, at least two men two days. Don't forget tools, supplies and transportation. 

How much in a "tin" of paint?  Those paint prices seem insanely high.  In the USA I can get good primer for about 800 baht per gallon.  Top-notch paint can be as much as 1.400 per gallon.  Ceiling paint is cheaper. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bkksteve123 said:

The room is now a dark green color, and I want to paint it white. The condition is average I think.

I re-painted my main bedroom which had light green trim on the window/door frames and cornicing. It took me 4 coats to shop the green coming through so understand why they would need primer and undercoat to get rid of your dark green walls.

Note: I gave up and got a professional to paint the rest of the house and even he complained about how hard it was to kill the green.

3 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

How much in a "tin" of paint?  Those paint prices seem insanely high.  In the USA I can get good primer for about 800 baht per gallon.  Top-notch paint can be as much as 1.400 per gallon.  Ceiling paint is cheaper. 

Given the size of the room, I'm guessing they're 2 1/2 gallon pails. No way to cover ~100 m^2 with a gallon of primer. 

Getting two coats on the ceiling with a single gallon would be stretching it as well, unless the primer coat were perfect. 

I like that TOA clear oil-based TAC primer, but I think they call it contact primer now. That stuff is great, although it takes some getting used to. 

20 hours ago, salsajapan said:

There is the theory and the practice: of course minimum salary is 300/day, but no experienced painter will work for this.

15000 for the room is what anybody experienced will charge, whatever people will tell here.

The problem is when you pay high prices and get the same quality at some random somchai from the "weld in the driveway" school.

As you know, in Thailand paying more doesn't mean you get better - and in fact the second they know a farang is involved the price probably quintuples even for the guy who has never had a paintbrush before but smells a payday.

18 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Paint is expensive here - unlike paying for the paint and then getting the mix for free, they add a bunch of $$$ on top depending on the colour mix.

Yes, same automated machines as everywhere else but they've found a way to screw everyone over by saying "oh the ink is expensive".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I was quoted 30,000 to paint my 75 sqm condo, just labour. What a laugh i ended up doing it myself rather than pay outrageous prices.

x10 for foreigner, standard Thai pricing.

Although even 3k would seem too much for a 2 day (tops) job @300bht/day.

The Burmese labourers painting my house got paid 150bht/day.

Edited by BritManToo

Labour for a good painter is around 500+bht a day, and That's in the sticks. (For peeps information long gone are the 3/400bht a day) 

I decided to paint the daughters double bedroom and I use interior they mix paint. It lasted less that a year before going patchy. Asked my Thai man and he said NEVER use interior paint it's rubbish. I got him to redo it he had to put sealer first, two coats, then 2 coats of exterior paint. Been fab for the last 8 years.

Right, good exterior paint here is pricy. Last time I looked it was some years ago it was about 2.000bht a large tub. They will more than likely have to put the extra coats on to cover the green paint that's already there. Then add the moving things about and putting it back all costs time. It's also Pattaya so everything will be even more pricy there. You have to pay now to get a good job.

If you hadn't noticed Thailand isn't cheap anymore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trucking said:

Do our house inside and out myself. No big deal. Just take your time a wall at a time...soon gets done at a fraction of the cost.

You must have a small house. It has taken 2 men working all day 11 days to paint my place. Not including the paint sealer it cost me 11,000bht including tip. Sorry but if you think I'm going to work in this heat for a almost a month doing it myself to save a few pence you very much mistaken.

14 hours ago, fredob43 said:

You must have a small house. It has taken 2 men working all day 11 days to paint my place. Not including the paint sealer it cost me 11,000bht including tip. Sorry but if you think I'm going to work in this heat for a almost a month doing it myself to save a few pence you very much mistaken.

Big house obviously. Ours is only a 2 bedroom bungalow.....easy peasy. I have used Thai painters before but some of the cheaper ' professionals ' were not too bothered about drips when outside painting unless I kept a close watch on them.

4 hours ago, trucking said:

Big house obviously. Ours is only a 2 bedroom bungalow.....easy peasy. I have used Thai painters before but some of the cheaper ' professionals ' were not too bothered about drips when outside painting unless I kept a close watch on them.

I have to agree with you some are real plonkers.

Mine is a bungalow as well but it has 6 double bedrooms. To say it's small would be under estimating it. I like a lot of peeps I know don't work now. Much prefer to let some other person do all the hard work.

Have the builders in as I tap and they are doing a grand job. Retiling one of the 6 on-suits we have. The only thing I do now is electric as I don't trust a Thai to do that correctly. Their idea of wiring is wind it together and stick some black tape over the ends. EEEEEEEEK.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

I was quoted 30,000 to paint my 75 sqm condo, just labour. What a laugh i ended up doing it myself rather than pay outrageous prices.

That price is beyond taking the p*ss.  It's offensive.  

On 8/7/2020 at 1:09 AM, salsajapan said:

dream on ,just had our leaking toilet fixed ,plaster work to the front of house and repainted ,2 guys 3 days in all  great job 8k including plaster and paint .