Attitude of immigration staff

29 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

That is totally wrong and that's what makes it so hard for the rest of us. Why bite your tongue if you know full well that you are right? So let's say that the next time you go to immigration to do a 90 day report the officer asks you for 500 Baht you'd gladly say nothing and pay him? As I said earlier.................

There is a difference between losing your temper, and politely (when you are clearly in the right) querying why they are asking for unofficial fees or documents they know you cannot provide. Thais have developed smiling when furious at officials to a fine art, and foreigners can benefit from doing the same.

Edited by BritTim

Younger ones are great these days. Asked one about online 90 day reporting a couple of years ago and she sat me down and went through the whole thing on her phone to explain it all.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2

Considering the amount of traveling and the amount of airports I've been through in my life I've not had even a handful of bad experiences, some quite funny on time flying from the Bahamas to Miami and going through the American customs in the Bahamas and the guy said to me did I buy anything I said no I won everything he just laughed and didn't even look in our bags  

Edited by ChipButty
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

You mean a non-US national or citizens as well. I've had nothing but positive experiences entering the US as a citizen (always at SFO). Again, if a non-citizen, remember these are border enforcement police officers...not tourism promotion agents.

Yes.  I'm sure that they are fine with their own, but they make visitors feel very unwelcome, even aircrew get the third degree.  I never liked flying to the US.  Except, funnily enough, In Seattle, where they always seemed a bit more friendly. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Younger ones are great these days. Asked one about online 90 day reporting a couple of years ago and she sat me down and went through the whole thing on her phone to explain it all.

Very relevant comment I have noticed the difference in the younger officers attitudes.That is the ones that have replaced the grumpy old ones. I must add that at the office I do my reporting the staff are helpful but thorough.

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

How sad. You just think of yourself and not those who follow.

Right. And those who follow have empathy for me and those who follow them. As all us expats are so United lol. As in a previous topic posted on here most don’t even want to say hi to another foreigner if they meet on the street or in Tesco or Big C .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ezzra said:

I got the impression long time ago that they would love nothing more than to see the backside of us gone for ever what with sourpuse faces and disdain looks on the faces...

Considering that indirectly we pay their wages, you'd think they'd be scattering rose petals at our feet. 

It is a matter of fact place they are not their to kiss your rear end.

If you are polite say hello and thank you, take a shower, dress decently and do not smell of booze or cigarettes a person is usually treated OK.

Also, be prepared and have your paperwork and backup paperwork ready and don't make a fool of yourself with dumb arguments and outright stupidity.

Ask yourself:  would you want to work there?

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 2

I’ve never had a problem with Thai immigration.  I treat them as I would like to be treated, in a friendly way with a smile.  Over the years I’ve done retirement extensions, 90 day reports, TM 30s and had my visa transferred to a new passport.  When I first arrived in Thailand I entered on a SETV.  I then applied for a non-Imm O.  When I applied i did not have enough blank pages in my passport.  The IO told me she would still process the application but I needed to get a new passport before applying for my extension. 

• Like 1

There must be something wrong with me,after years of dealing

with immigration here,I have never experienced anything like the

OP has gone through.

My only complaint is actually getting to sit in front of an Immigration

Officer,in past years at Chiang Mai immigration it was getting up at

4.00 in the morning to get a place in the que,that was after they

cancelled the system of making an appointment,that made things

a lot easier.

Then Big Joke came along and things improved greatly,slipped back

again after he vanished, but the last 2 years have been very easy,

from getting letter at bank,driving to IO, and out the door with an

extension, 1.5 Hours,once a year not a problem.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JWRC said:

Sounds like you use Kanchanaburi Immigration, because this is an accurate description of how they treat people.

I have to defend the Kan office, I have been going 3 years now and never been treated badly, never been asked for money unless it's due and receipted. I did see an irate Frenchman getting asked to leave once in no uncertain terms but he was so rude, I'd have thrown him out too.

In fact I was there on Monday having my stamps transferred to a new passport. Done quickly and efficiently, no charge. I had not been aware I needed to provide a complete copy of the now voided passport and asked if they could make the copies for me. No problem but it's 3 baht per page. 1 Baht if I was to go outside to the copy shop a mile away. 60 Baht job done no hassles. Did my 90 day while I was there to register my new passport number in their system.

I had not been in the office for a while so took the opportunity to ask a few questions, no problem, everything answered politely and clearly.

I think the main problem with immigration offices is the inconsistency in requirements for everything. I have to say when I read about some of the other offices, give me the small, never too busy, always helpful Kanchanaburi office over many of the others. I'd leave for Cambodia if I ever had to deal with the crowds at Cheang Wattana. I believe the immigration office should be a factor in where you want to live in Thailand. I just fell lucky.

Edited by Saltire
  • Haha 1

Been dealing with CW/Bangkok Immigration for a dozen years now in renewing my OA Retirement Extension of Stay.  With the exception of last year which turned into almost an all day affair due to a TM30 goatrope which added 4 hours to my visit on that day, my 11 other years have all went smoothly--Done, finished, out the door between 10am to 11am with a new retirement extension of stay in hand....never any drama...no attempts to get extra money. 

Sometimes they may have a form for your to sign that you don't remember signing or didn't sign last year but that's all minor stuff.  And I will say every year the immigration officers have talked very, very little while processing my application....pretty much just all business....no time for chit-chat which is fine with me.  

But I do wish the crowds were smaller....but I realize CW immigration serves a huge customer base in Bangkok.  This year/next month I'll be switching from an OA Retirement Extension of Stay to an OA Marriage Extension of Stay...hopefully that will go OK.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

There must be something wrong with me,after years of dealing

with immigration here,I have never experienced anything like the

OP has gone through.

My only complaint is actually getting to sit in front of an Immigration

Officer,in past years at Chiang Mai immigration it was getting up at

4.00 in the morning to get a place in the que,that was after they

cancelled the system of making an appointment,that made things

a lot easier.

Then Big Joke came along and things improved greatly,slipped back

again after he vanished, but the last 2 years have been very easy,

from getting letter at bank,driving to IO, and out the door with an

extension, 1.5 Hours,once a year not a problem.

regards worgeordie

True comment I believe it’s getting easier I just renewed in n out 15-20 minutes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pib said:

Been dealing with CW/Bangkok Immigration for a dozen years now in renewing my OA Retirement Extension of Stay.  With the exception of last year which turned into almost an all day affair due to a TM30 goatrope which added 4 hours to my visit on that day, my 11 other years have all went smoothly--Done, finished, out the door between 10am to 11am with a new retirement extension of stay in hand....never any drama...no attempts to get extra money. 

Sometimes they may have a form for your to sign that you don't remember signing or didn't sign last year but that's all minor stuff.  And I will say every year the immigration officers have talked very, very little while processing my application....pretty much just all business....no time for chit-chat which is fine with me.  

But I do wish the crowds were smaller....but I realize CW immigration serves a huge customer base in Bangkok.  This year/next month I'll be switching from an OA Retirement Extension of Stay to an OA Marriage Extension of Stay...hopefully that will go OK.

I wanted to do that this year but I was told by I.O. that I would have to go to my embassy also dept. of foreign affairs to get a letter of some sort to authorize the change so I didn’t bother maybe next year hope it’s easy for you.

Them immigration officers are becoming even more deceitful. Last year I hadn't seasoned my monies long enough by about a week. No problem to go away and come back in a week.  The officers started writing on a piece of paper. Then passes it to the wife. He'd written '15,000' will make the problem go away. I refused.

PS. That was at the football stadium Buriram.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JWRC said:

Sounds like you use Kanchanaburi Immigration, because this is an accurate description of how they treat people.

Total rubbish and  find them in the main very helpful and friendly and granted my last 90 day reporting a junior member asked fo my bank book but always have my dear wife with and we did not have it and last time was not asked for it.
However, please bring it next time and very polite both ways.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silent Number said:

I wanted to do that this year but I was told by I.O. that I would have to go to my embassy also dept. of foreign affairs to get a letter of some sort to authorize the change so I didn’t bother maybe next year hope it’s easy for you.

Did you get married to your Thai spouse outside of Thailand?  Sounds like you may be talking getting a Khor Ror 22 to register a foreign marriage within Thailand.