Can foreigners be real estate agents in thailand?

It is possible to get a work permit where the job description states that the holder can act as an agent in the sale of real estate.

I only know of one person who has done it though.

The work permit for most non-Thai citizens working in this area would be for General Manager, Business Development Manager, Marketing Manager, etc. and the work permit job description would not specifically mention working as an agent in the sale of real estate.

Also, you cannot be self employed working for yourself. You must be employed by a Thai company.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, impulse said:

What's the standard commission structure?  As I recall, it's not as lucrative as some may have enjoyed "back home"...

Many agents work with rental units. Commissions on rentals are typically one month's rent. The agent working for an agency then gets only a portion of that.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, maprao said:

2% to 5%

Is that then split between the listing agent and the selling agent?  And (if I can get really curious), what portion does the house/office generally take before the agent gets their cut?

And I'm not doubting your numbers, but I struggle with the idea that a real estate agent can show you the property where they make 5% or the one where they make 2%.  Seems like a no-brainer.  But stranger things do happen in Thailand...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

For the sake of clarity, may I propose the following definitions:

1. Property Salesman - you are an employee of a company which is planning to build, is building, or has built a condominium development.

2. Rental agent - you  are self-employed, and work on commission, matching landlords and tenants. You are paid a commission by the landlord.

3. Real Estate Salesman - you are an employee of a Real Estate Agent, who takes listings from owners wanting to sell their property.

4. Real Estate Agent - you are the owner (licence holder) of a real estate agency.

I have seen foreigners working as #1.   #2 is a business, so I think you need a 51% Thai partner.  #3 is probably possible if you are called a "Marketing Manager", or something similar.   #4. I would concur with blackcab's comment that a foreigner can't hold this position. at best he could be a minority shareholder, with a majority Thai shareholder who is the agent.

• Like 1